Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts Cleaner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesiv
What do you think of this? What can you do with 5gal?

Cost Co OE Parts Cleaner

Regards,

James
Cap'n Krusty
I use an "Ozzy" parts cleaner, mostly because the county mandates a non-petroleum based machine. It uses heated fluid containing microbes that live on oil. You can't turn the heat off for more than an hour or so, and you have to feed it a bit of oil during extended periods of non-use. It removes oil pretty good, but it doesn't do well at all with grease. Works well on brake fluid and dust. A lot of hand work is required to remove caked on dirt. We have to top off the fluid regularly, and change the particle filter at least once a month. Supplies are relatively expensive. Good on your skin, and the heat is nice. Non-toxic, and waaaaay better for you than solvent immersion. Doesn't dry out your skin, either. It's possible the Costco machine is similar, and the solvent may not work cold. Ours won't even survive unless the temps are kept relatively stable (once the liquid has been put into use).

The Cap'n
brer
I believe that the oil eating microbe was the first patented living entity and the impetus for the corporate race to own the human genome.

flag.gif
Gint
I use solvent in mine. Just picked some up yesterday and I still need more. I need to get the level up in the tank so I can use the pump.
jbyron
Econo variety...Eyeing one of these earlier this week

http://www.toolsnow.com/browse.cfm/4,141.html
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(jbyron @ Apr 10 2008, 02:56 PM) *

Econo variety...Eyeing one of these earlier this week

http://www.toolsnow.com/browse.cfm/4,141.html

I bought one of those I believe from Enco. It came with 10 gallons of solvent. Worst smelling headache generating crap ever made. Did not clean well. The tank was better than using a plastic bucket. I later got a larger tank from safetykleen. I gave them the old stuff and was glad to be rid of it.
Cap'n Krusty
Comment: Solvent does work better, IMO. However, as a Santa Barbara County businessman, I can't legally even have a solvent tank in my shop. I couldn't even sell it within the county. Besides, it's nasty smelling, is hazardous to your lungs and internal organs, absorbs through your skin, which it dries out, and you carry the odor on any part of your body it has touched, sometimes for days. Any quality solvent washer will have a sacrificial lead button on the clip that holds the top open, so it will close in case of fire. You just can't leave anything sticking up past the lip of the tub.

The Cap'n
DNHunt
With solvent be careful with skin protection. Some gloves are permeable to it and give you a false sense of confidence. Also some organic molecules can hitch a ride through your skin along with the solvent. Not good.
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 10 2008, 02:47 AM) *

I use an "Ozzy" parts cleaner, mostly because the county mandates a non-petroleum based machine. It uses heated fluid containing microbes that live on oil. You can't turn the heat off for more than an hour or so, and you have to feed it a bit of oil during extended periods of non-use. It removes oil pretty good, but it doesn't do well at all with grease. Works well on brake fluid and dust. A lot of hand work is required to remove caked on dirt. We have to top off the fluid regularly, and change the particle filter at least once a month. Supplies are relatively expensive. Good on your skin, and the heat is nice. Non-toxic, and waaaaay better for you than solvent immersion. Doesn't dry out your skin, either. It's possible the Costco machine is similar, and the solvent may not work cold. Ours won't even survive unless the temps are kept relatively stable (once the liquid has been put into use).

The Cap'n

Feeding your parts cleaner seems a bit sci-fi to me..and creepy.
I know its new, it works, and its better for the world...got that.
It still creeps me out.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.