Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Reflector and Trunk Release
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
STL914
I'm considering installing a rear PORSCHE reflector on my '72 and need some advice/opinions on what type of trunk release to use. I know that most use the electric soleniod but I have also read of people using some type of cable set up. Can someone tell me more on the cable method with some photos?

Thanks smilie_flagge6.gif
campbellcj
The solenoids are pretty reliable but I think it is a good idea to have a manual release of some kind anyway. One "easy" option is to just drill a small hole in the reflector where you can push the latch with a coat-hanger or similar implement. The hole is barely visible from a few feet away.

Even if the solenoid is fine, you have to have everything aligned and adjusted exactly right or the latch can "jam" shut.

OK that's my $.02
Brad Roberts
Hi Gary,

I need to dig up the pics to show you.. but installing one of those (the new ones are crap BTW) requires you to drill/cut massive holes into the rear sheet metal of the trunk. It is nasty. Once you cut it.. there is no turning back without having a body shop on stand by.

B
SirAndy
yupp, what they ^^^^ said.

i have a "solenoid" for sale, if you're interested. wink.gif
the new (aftermarket) reflectors suck. they're too dark.
i have a (real) 911 reflector that was cut to fit the 914. looks WAY better. (and is for sale too)

i have never seen a good working cable release, BUT you can add a emergency cable release by drilling a hole into your trunk floor and run it through there and add a small handle between the heat-shield and the rear valance. that way, if the solenoid fails, you have a back-up.

Andy
SirAndy
not the best of pics (surprised?), but it'll give you an idea ...

IPB Image
bernbomb914
I have the selonid but I drilled a small hole under the trunk release and ran a cable and handle which I pull if the selonid fails. it hides behind the lic plate.

Bernie
campbellcj
I just took the reflector and "GT" tail off my car a while ago, and did a "poor-mans" repair job to patch it up back to stock. (I'm gonna get a composite lid and real spoiler later and keep this steel lid for anything where spoilers aren't allowed). B is right that if the thought of drilling a bunch of holes in the exterior of your car makes you queasy...skip it.
John2kx
I was up against the same question after installing my reflector. Bought a "brand new" 914 designed solenoid and mount but was not impressed with its operation while bench testing. The cable approach was investigated but I did not pursue it.

After giving more thought in how I use my car, I opted to install neither. Since my rear trunk is only used to store top and the car is rarely left unattended, theft control is not a issue. The trunk is heavy enough to stay put without use of the rear catch.

John
Van914
My car came with the rear reflector when I bought it 16 years ago. It has a cable release that goes to the interior right above the engine cover release. It failed once at the track and I had to break the reflector to get in the trunk. Now I have a back up cable that goes through the trunk floor just in case.
Van
STL914
Thanks for the replies guys. I bought a cut done 911 reflector with the small drilled hole thru the S on eBay and expect it soon.

Chris, based on your post, do I assume that the push button lock remains as is and this is pushed by the coat hanger thru the small drilled hole to release the latch?

Brad, I realize the need to drill the holes in the back panel. Do you recall what size holes are required? The 72 is pretty prestine for this area of the country, so I may have some concerns about mutilating it.

Andy, thanks for the picture. Is your car Bahia Red? My 72 is and this gives me a good idea how it would look with the reflector installed. How much wouldyou need for the solenoid? I may be interested.
Neal
How is the solenoid wired I just got the system and it had a switch and a 2 wires that are attached to the solenoid, one is attached to the solenoid mount and the other is free. What to do ? I would upload a picture but it seems I can't
need to figure that out some day.

Neal
boxstr
Gary Good morning. I own 2 914s with rear reflectors. If you really have a pristine car(914) then I personally would not cut,drill,or add anything that was not factory. You can always do that to a project type car. Or one that comes your way(they always do) that you may feel needs to rear reflector.
Six holes I believe they are @12mm, haver to be drilled for the mounting studs. The electric solenoid is what is supplied, but it needs a backup, as others have stated, a cable is the best way to go. The one straight down and behind the rear lic. plate is easy and works great.
CCLINREFLECTORHELL
Air_Cooled_Nut
I installed a cable-released PORSCHE reflector in my first 914 (as described above, release handle is in cabin by engine lid release) and it worked great every time. When drilling for the mounting holes measure about 14 times, then drill once wink.gif

I have all the parts and plan on installing it on my new 914 some day...
Neal
has anyone ever thought of putting lights behind the reflector and use it as a 3'rd brake light ?
I think it would be kind of cool and pretty safe at night, you really could not miss the car.
Kargeek
At one time I had the cut down 911 reflector on my car, it used four 12" holes to mount. Later, when I removed it, I had to gas hammer weld patches in; you won't find evidence on either side of the panel now. If I really wanted to do it again, I would consider grinding off the mounting tabs flush with the reflector. Go to the body shop supply and buy the heavy duty double sided tape that is used to reinstall emblems and stick and go. Might be better than cutting up the car and you will have the option of changing your mind. DH
soloracer
Could a trunk latch like this be used with the reflector?

IPB Image
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(soloracer @ Jan 17 2004, 07:52 PM)
Could a trunk latch like this be used with the reflector?

Nope. The reflector fills the whole space!
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Kargeek @ Jan 17 2004, 07:05 PM)
...I would consider grinding off the mounting tabs flush with the reflector. Go to the body shop supply and buy the heavy duty double sided tape that is used to reinstall emblems and stick and go. Might be better than cutting up the car and you will have the option of changing your mind. DH

Damn good idea! smilie_pokal.gif
Kargeek
I also used a thinner tape to fasten the VW-Porsche emblem too. 7odd holes to drill was just too much after filling reflector hones. Stick the tape to the backside of the emblem, exacto knife it's outline, peel and stick.
Brad Roberts
I have a customers car that kept the stock lock in place for opening the trunk. Whomever installed it left the middle two attachment points off the car. This allows the reflector to flex. Push on the center of the reflector and the trunk opens. SLICK. Thieves (besides us now) would never know to open the rear trunk this way so we are not worried about locking the trunk.

B
Neal
I am so doing the tape and leaving the lock on, I have my turn indicators on my GSXR stuck to the fairing and rear body work with double sided tape. They have never fallen off. This is a great fuckin idea !
STL914
Neal,

You asked "has anyone ever thought of putting lights behind the reflector and use it as a 3'rd brake light ?
I think it would be kind of cool and pretty safe at night, you really could not miss the car. "

I had the very same thought a couple of years ago.
If I'm not mistaken, there is a coating of light gray paint(?) covering the PORSCHE script on the back of the reflectors which would prohibit light to show through. This paint would have to be removed without destroying the letters. I'm not sure if the mounting posts would be visible once the reflector is back lighted. If this would work, I'd wire mine to be on with the tail lights and brighten when the brakes are applied.
Neal
I held mine up to a light and you can see through the reflector, the problem is I want to used double side tape and shave off the mounts. There would not be enough room for lamps... I just can't make myself drill holes in the body.

Neal
Engman
I have one on mine. I did not drill the holes to mount it - instead I used velcro to fasten it. I have had my stock electric trunk release fail to release more than once. After looking into it I found that the arm design does not place the 'core' of the solenoid in the position to produce the most pull. I made a new arm and now it never fails. Had to move the 'core' down about 1/2 in.

M
STL914
I did not drill the holes to mount it - instead I used velcro to fasten it.

Engman,

Has the velcro been strong enough to hold the reflector? I'd hate to loose mine down some back road. Can you tell us what size velcro, strips or dots?
hargray2
you can get velcro in almost any size you want. If you put two 1 inch strips across
the length of the reflector I don't think it would come off. Velcro is stronger than you think--haven't you seen those velcro walls at the fun parks that people jump and stick to?
Engman
Six one inch strips - nope never lost it and there has been very spirited driving with it in place.

M
Neal
Engman, can you take a picture of you refabbed arm and some info on how you did it. Seems like a good mod to make.
Neal
Engman
In my best Dr. Evil voice - "I used a Laser".

Made one at work - what else do you do when you have access to a 4000W laser?

Seriously though - it is in the car and mounted. do not know when I will get to a pic.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.