Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake line leak help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dw914er
ok, according to my dad, i have a puddle of brake fluid at my driver rear wheel

i assume the line at that area is probably bad (to cause to leak, and have no more brake pressure)

my question is how hard is it to fix, and what parts do i need, what exactly do i need to do, and how much
(i have never replaced the brake lines on a car myself)

i figure that to get it to the shop, id have to tow it (driving with no brake pressure isnt what most would call safe)

i am also broke, so i want to do it myself because having it towed and a shop to do it would be too much, and i just spent money to replace my condensor and points

any help would be appreciated, and if anyone is in socal, let me know if you want to help when im back in town

thanks for your help,
Benjamin Matlock
roadster fan
well...........first you have to determine where the leak is.

could be the hard line, could be the caliper, could be the soft line, etc.

jack the car up, remove the wheel on that side, and have someone push the brake pedal so you can see where the leak is.

Post the location, and I am sure people more experienced than me will chime in.

Jim
dw914er
well, im not at my car, and i wont be there for a few weeks.

can anyone give me a ball park for each scenario or something

though, we i see the car ill give more details, but i just know there is some sort of leak
r_towle
find the leak.
New brake line is less than 20 bucks for the hard line.
Rubber ones are less than 50 bucks..look online to get a better idea.

Brake fluid is 3-4 bucks.

the rest is labor.

Rich
dw914er
thanks
SLITS
I just bought a pair of rubber rears for $12.00 each + $6.00 shipping.

classiccarsandparts on eBay. They're not ATE, but do I give a flying Eff?
dw914er
my fear is that since i do not know the problem, i cant figure out what i need until i get home friday afternoon in a few weeks. when i get home, the local classic porsche shop will be closed, so i will have to wait until the next week. well, i am only home for some weekends during school, so i cant work on the car until my next visit back home. If i cant get to it in about 2 weeks (when i go home next i think) i may not get the car fixed until mid june or so. This sucks becasue i just had the car all fixed, and now it wont be driven for another 9 weeks. And this car never had enjoyed not being driven. Ill see if i can get my dad to find the leak, so i can order the parts i need, becasue i need this car to be drivable.

what a shame to have a strong running 914, warm so cal spring, and no brakes!!! i need to get the car back on the road. lol
eg914
If it is the rubber line it is a VW part. If you have any VW shops around you can get the part. The upper end is difficult to get to, but it can be done.
Eric_Shea

Duh... headbang.gif

i am also broke, so i want to do it myself because having it towed and a shop to do it would be too much, and i just spent money to replace my condensor and points

Yo... DW; didn't you just offer up a grand for an early 911? biggrin.gif
dw914er
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 11 2008, 12:34 AM) *

Duh... headbang.gif

Yo... DW; didn't you just offer up a grand for an early 911? biggrin.gif

lol, i was gonna add ill send a check

after i get the car, he can wait a week or so, then cash the check lol

but really, the grand is for tuition
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.