Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: What's a 911 worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zymurgist
I was just over in the classified section checking out Headrage's sweet sweet /6 .

That got me thinking that I really need a teener more than I need a 911. I'm wondering what the best way to come up with a value for the 911 is... basically almost all of the work on that car (for better or worse) was done by the PO, and I have just been driving and maintaining it. Does anyone have any useful ideas for determining what a fair market value for this car is?
Rav914
The best bet would be to visit two sites: Pelican Parts, and Early 911S Registry.

There's a Marketplace forum at Pelican and the General Info forum on Early S will suffice.

With MFI the guys on Early S will be all over it. Good luck, Hope you get $20K +
zymurgist
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Apr 10 2008, 01:10 PM) *

The best bet would be to visit two sites: Pelican Parts, and Early 911S Registry.

There's a Marketplace forum at Pelican and the General Info forum on Early S will suffice.

With MFI the guys on Early S will be all over it. Good luck, Hope you get $20K +

Whoa, really? The MFI is not original to the car, the car is actually a 911T... the PO did all the mechanical work. It's a 2.4 with an honest 190 hp at the wheels (have dyno sheets to prove it).
ericread
With the MFI not being original and all, I'll give you $800 CASH for it right now - sight unseen!!!

Now that's a deal. Heck, I'll even pay for shipping to Cali myself! biggrin.gif
degreeoff
wish I were a little more lucrative..I'd be all over that!
jtf914
The MFI is probably original to your 2.4 engine, 72 T's came with MFI. The 915 is a nice upgrade as well, I think the 1970 911's came with the 901. Good Luck.

-Justin
SLITS
'70-'71 had the 901- 2 years only ... very desireable ... clutch & throwout bearing are $800+ dollars.

MFI pump, stacks, throttle bodies worth more than most 914s. Pump can be recalibrated (expensive) for "E" and "S" engines.

Porsche ran this stuff on the race cars .. injection is timed off the cams for postive squirt.

Junk the car and put the drivetrain / front suspension in a 914 where it really belongs. biggrin.gif

Oh, the '70 should have been a 2.2L AFAIR .... have an "E" in the shop (Glenn Sagers' car)
zymurgist
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 10 2008, 02:28 PM) *

MFI pump, stacks, throttle bodies worth more than most 914s. Pump can be recalibrated (expensive) for "E" and "S" engines.

The PO recalibrated the MFI pump for this engine because of the displacement (it's a cheater).

Junk the car and put the drivetrain / front suspension in a 914 where it really belongs. biggrin.gif

Well, the thought has crossed my mind. There's an Olympic Blue 1.7 on a used car lot a couple of miles from my house... hate the idea of taking this mostly sorted car apart, although it does have a few "WTF" items on it.

Oh, the '70 should have been a 2.2L AFAIR .... have an "E" in the shop (Glenn Sagers' car)

You are correct sir! The '70 came with the 2.2... but the PO built up a 2.4 engine for this car. It's been a while since I talked to him but I think it has "S" cams. Definitely has Carrera tensioners.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Apr 10 2008, 02:16 PM) *

The 915 is a nice upgrade as well, I think the 1970 911's came with the 901.

If I remember correctly, the 915 came from an SC. It has an electronic speedometer gear (no speedo cable).
SLITS
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Apr 10 2008, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 10 2008, 02:28 PM) *

The PO recalibrated the MFI pump for this engine because of the displacement (it's a cheater).

Well, the thought has crossed my mind. There's an Olympic Blue 1.7 on a used car lot a couple of miles from my house... hate the idea of taking this mostly sorted car apart, although it does have a few "WTF" items on it.

You are correct sir! The '70 came with the 2.2... but the PO built up a 2.4 engine for this car. It's been a while since I talked to him but I think it has "S" cams. Definitely has Carrera tensioners.

Nice effin' set-up ... jes jokin' about trashin' the car, though the engine package would make a nice movin' teener. It's the rest of the cost to put it in a teener that is intense.

I'd love to have MFI, but I'm a CASOB and will stick with the CIS I have.
zymurgist
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 10 2008, 03:22 PM) *

Nice effin' set-up ... jes jokin' about trashin' the car, though the engine package would make a nice movin' teener. It's the rest of the cost to put it in a teener that is intense.

Thanks! The PO was really proud of the engine... he built it himself, including the design work to recalibrate the MFI pump for optimum performance. It makes 190 horsepower at the wheels (I think, it's either 180 or 190, haven't pulled out the dyno sheets in some time) and it pulls right up to the redline.

I'd want a completed (or mostly completed) 914 conversion rather than another project. I spent 3 years building the Corvette and I bought the 911 because I was sick of having no cool car to drive. Now that I have both on the road, they are a lot of fun, but I've been thinking about a 914 for a long time. As a matter of fact, if this particular 911 hadn't been available, I probably would have bought a 914.

You know what started me on this kick this time? Dr.Evil's April Fool thread about selling his /6! smile.gif
davep
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 10 2008, 10:28 AM) *

'70-'71 had the 901- 2 years only ... very desirable

Would that not be the 911 transmission? 90x from 1965 through 1969, and 915 varieties from 1972.
roadster fan
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif biggrin.gif
Rav914
Yeah, an S-cam set up is huge especially when powered by MFI. If the PO used 2.2 S pistons in there, you've got 200hp+. Like I said the Early S crowd will be interested. Bear in mind, you'll need to go armed with specific stuff like engine numbers, The MFI pump number (many differences between the T, E, S, RS pumps), VIN, etc.

It sounds like a real nice car. If it's got original Recaro sport seats add a few more $$$$.

Seriously, best of luck. Early 911's are much sought after. Then go and get that /6 biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
If everything you are talking about is true you are talking an engine that is worth over 15k alone. I know someone that would pay 7k just for the MFI. If your car is in nice condition as well I would think your car would easily go on ebay for 20-25k. The '70 body style is ver desirable right now.
dw914er
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 10 2008, 01:54 PM) *

If everything you are talking about is true you are talking an engine that is worth over 15k alone. I know someone that would pay 7k just for the MFI. If your car is in nice condition as well I would think your car would easily go on ebay for 20-25k. The '70 body style is ver desirable right now.

phoenix is giving false hopes

500 bucks max for the whole thing is the most you'll get

and i happen to have that in cash laugh.gif

scotty b
Intersetd in a trade ? I've got a killer VW bus. All the right stuff to go with it too! 180 horse turbo charged engine, your choice of manual or auto tranny. Nice comfy aftermarket bucket seats. Already has a hippie sticker on it for ya. Hell I could even fab up some keg holders for you Ken beerchug.gif Maybe a portable brewery idea.gif
SLITS
If you're makin' 190 at the rear wheels, the engine is puttin' out somewhere in the neighborhood of 220 - 240 I would guess.
ericread
QUOTE(dw914er @ Apr 10 2008, 07:03 PM) *

Wait a damn minute!!! I offered $800 hours ago. Either pony up with real money or get out of the game! stirthepot.gif
Eric_Shea
Would that not be the 911 transmission?

Yup. 911/02.

$20k for a non-sunroof with A 2.4S motors should be doable. Good shape? Seemed like it based on the pics I've seen.
dw914er
QUOTE(ericread @ Apr 10 2008, 11:43 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ Apr 10 2008, 07:03 PM) *

Wait a damn minute!!! I offered $800 hours ago. Either pony up with real money or get out of the game! stirthepot.gif

ok, how about a grand.... final offer laugh.gif

Eric_Shea
I'll take $34k for mine! biggrin.gif
MoveQik
I'm guessing an early 911 is worth about $120k reserve

huh.gif
Eric_Shea
Wow... 67 soft window S. Amazing (not $120k amazing but amazing)
zymurgist
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 11 2008, 03:36 AM) *

I'm guessing an early 911 is worth about $120k reserve

huh.gif

Wow! That car is immaculate and documented. Mine is neither of the above. I bet my car would blow that one away on the track or the street, though. driving.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 10 2008, 10:23 PM) *

Intersetd in a trade ? I've got a killer VW bus.

Is that Mike's tranny hauler?

Work his /6 conversion into the deal and we'll talk. happy11.gif
zymurgist
Here are some pictures. Feel free to ignore all the homebrewing hardware since Flickr only allows 3 photo sets for free users. wink.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13751921@N08
Dominic
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 11 2008, 12:45 AM) *

Wow... 67 soft window S. Amazing (not $120k amazing but amazing)

Agree, for $100K+ it would have to be a 300 point show winning example in my opinion.
That is a nice car but not $120K nice. Either way it's cool to see those six figure prices, especially since I already have a 67' S biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.