Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For any Megasquirt guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Got my programmer up and running again so if you want to mess with the code I can burn it for you.

No charge cept you pay postage

Dave
rhodyguy
do the car run better than last weekend? not that it ran bad. i'm so uninformed. was it a piece of cake to achieve the figures you got at the dyno shop?

kevin
DNHunt
Ya its better. I still have to dink with temperature corrections but, I got lazy this morning and decided to hang out here with all my buds. Trying to dispense my wisdom and not sound like too much of a fool.

By the way read my post about the corner balance. WOW smilie_pokal.gif

Dave
rhodyguy
after we spoke yest i knew you were hot to test it out. i didn't want to spoil the surprise.

kevin
DNHunt
Ya, now I really feel bad about missing the driver's skill day. Oh well, I need to get caught up around the house. Not looking forward to cleaning up the garage after 2 1/2 months of throwing around tools and stuff.

Dave
rhodyguy
the up side is you will find your missing sockets and what not.

kevin
ChrisReale
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 17 2004, 08:04 AM)
the up side is you will find your missing sockets and what not.

kevin

I love it when I complete a socket set that has had a few missing for a while boldblue.gif
3d914
Dave,

Did you take a different approach at all when programming the second chip?

I also wanted to check with you about the part numbers for the two stock temp sensors you're using. I know there are some slight variations of what people use, but then I could get the specs on the parts you programmed for.

I'll then compare to tests on my sensors to make sure they're close to what you have.

Do you have new pics on your body work results?

Regards,
DNHunt
Gerard

My sensors are what are stock on a 74. It doesn't have the extra resistor on the CHT sensor.

Just get the resistance of your sensors at room temp, in ice water and in boiling water then use the values in Easytherm to customize your .inc files. Be careful removing the CHT. It's easy to wreck the threads.

I posted pictures of the repairs somewhere here but I don't have a clue what the thread was titled.

Dave
fiid
Hey,

I'd love to get the readings from the stock D-Jet MAT sensor - I don't get readings worth $#!+ of mine.

Great work on the programmer - I think I'm going to be okay programming with the chip on the board, but you never know.

I need to finish the second megasquirt ready for the subaru engine and work on getting teh EDIS and the EDIS code running. Exciting stuff.

Here's a question. This engine has coil on plug. I was wondering if I can use the coil on plug coils if I wire say 1 and 4 in parallel and 2 and 3 in parallel and use them instead of the EDIS coilpack.... would that kill the EDIS module - since the charge current will be heigher?
DNHunt
Fiid

Here's the info on my MAT sensor: Input Data: Temp, degF 32 Resistance 706 Temp, degF 69 Resistance 345 Temp, degF 212 Resistance 33 I found the air density .inc file to be pretty important.
I actually tweeked the file to provide a little bit of warmup enrichment so the coolest temps have a little bit of added enrichment. I did the samething at the higher extreme to help compensate for heat soak of the sensor. I didn't want a hot engine running lean so it runs richer until Mat temps come down a bit. Built in protection I hope. So my airdenfactor.inc file is a little rich at the highest and lowest extremes and neutral where the engine runs most of the time. Don't know if it's the right thing to do but it seems to help.

Wish I could help you with the COP. I haven't had time to mess with it yet. I got the EDIS unit to spark in limp home mode on my drill press but this was with the stock coil packs. To get 4 coil drivers you need 2 EDIS 4 modules wired in parallel from 1 VR sensor. I was able to get both modules to run off 1 VR sensor so I don't think that will be a problem. This could yield COP but with wasted spark so it would fire on compression and exhaust strokes. I don't know if this a problem with the coils or not.

With the Subi coils are the drivers in the brain or at the coil? If they are at the coil I don't see any way to feed them. If on the board you'll just have to hope that the EDIS drivers can feed the Subi coils and control their dwell. That's a lot of ifs. I've almost given up on COP using the EDIS modules. I may play with it on the workbench if I find time but I think I'll wait and see what UMS has to offer on the ignition side. My suggestion is wire it for the Ford coil pack and waste spark. It's been darn dependable for a long time. COP has had some problems.

Dave
DNHunt
Here's 2 modules and 1 VR sensor on the bench
mightyohm
Dave, which programmer did you get and how much?

I just ordered my megasquirt kit last week. Hopefully it will be here within a few weeks.

I am the kind of person who likes to screw with everything so I will probably get my own programmer after I get the kit done.
DNHunt
Jeff,

I got one from Futurlec. I don't remember how much it cost, but the instructions were in Romanian or something. icon14.gif idea.gif Still, it works ok.

Dave (with the typing done by Sarah ) biggrin.gif
fiid
I think getting the correct dwell settings for the plug coils will be the biggest challenge. I am not sure where the coil driver is - how would I find out??

This makes me wonder if it's possible to use the crank sensor (on the subaru engine) to drive a little circuit that switches between the two edis modules and allows true singlefire coil on plug.

Sounds like too much work to me. The 2.5 litre Atmo subaru motor in my USDM imprezza runs using wasted spark and a coilpack, and it goes like sh!t off a shovel, so I think I'm just going to do straight EDIS. I don't think it's really going to make that much difference performance wise, and having the motor running vs not is going to make the biggest difference. I'll have plenty of time to tweak it once it's in.

My MAT sensor on the 1.7 seems to read the same all the time - 60oF, so I think having that working correctly will make a bit of a difference. We'll see - it might also be that the sensor is fubar.

Are you actually running EDIS on your engine?
DNHunt
Fiid

I think you're making the right call with the coil packs. I'm not running the edis system on my car because I want to make one change when UMS comes out. I have all the components set to go.

Dave
3d914
Dave,

I haven't been over to review the UMS - other than a few postings that talked briefly about it. Aside from the added ignition control, what are the main advantages that you're looking for?

Thanks for the sensor data. I've printed it off for ref.
PS: Oh yeh - MAT sensor = Head Temp sensor, right (sorry - brain fade)!
What were the values for your air temp sensor?
DNHunt
Gerard

MAT sensor = Manifold Atmospheric Temperature sensor. It measures the air temperature in the plenum which it uses to compensate for the changes in air density with temperature change.

CHT sensor = Cylinder Head Temperature sensor. It is only used for warm up enrichment and idle air control.

Of the 2 MAT is more important for MS.

UMS is going to be a significant improvement. More RAM, Program in C, surface mount components so it will be smaller and more solid, sequential injection, several different trigger devices for ignition, weather tight automotive connectors, on and on.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.