Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hub to crankshaft bolt pattern and size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turtleturtle
I know I have asked this, but I FINALLY got my wood drift key in for the hub to the crank. The Porsche dealer said they can not order the bolt, it was obsolite and they could not tell me the size and pattern. Does anyone know this. I know I should have saved that thread I asked about this one other time months ago, but forgot. Thanks. smile.gif
turtleturtle
I need to pick up this bolt tomorrow so I can get my fan on, anyone??
Cap'n Krusty
You have the special washer? The bolt is 8 mm x 1.25, and has a special head with little teeth on the mating surface to keep it from backing out. I have the bolt and the washer, which I could mail to you tomorrow. You pop for the postage. However, any 1972-1979 Bus, or any 1980-1983 air cooled Vanagon uses the same hardware. Any bigger VW shop should have what you need. If your fan fell off, I'd sure inspect the end of the crankshaft and replace the hub. The Cap'n
turtleturtle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 10 2008, 07:46 PM) *

You have the special washer? The bolt is 8 mm x 1.25, and has a special head with little teeth on the mating surface to keep it from backing out. I have the bolt and the washer, which I could mail to you tomorrow. You pop for the postage. However, any 1972-1979 Bus, or any 1980-1983 air cooled Vanagon uses the same hardware. Any bigger VW shop should have what you need. If your fan fell off, I'd sure inspect the end of the crankshaft and replace the hub. The Cap'n

Thanks for the offer on the bolt, but I am sure I can find on at Hermans VW shop here in town tomorrow. I did get the crankshaft inspected and it is fine, thank God, and my new hub is at Shook Enterprises (they only deal with the good cars, Lambos, Porsche, and have a Steve Ercel car in there shop also lol. I pick up my new hub tomorrow.
CMONNETT
If you're looking for 914 stuff in Corpus Christi give Peter Kendig a shout. He's probably got the bolt you're looking for. The last time I talked with him he had a number of 914's. He was going by, "The Car Czar," a few years ago. Steve Shook probably nows how to get in touch with him if you can't. Just a thought.

Chris
turtleturtle
QUOTE(CMONNETT @ Apr 10 2008, 10:18 PM) *

If you're looking for 914 stuff in Corpus Christi give Peter Kendig a shout. He's probably got the bolt you're looking for. The last time I talked with him he had a number of 914's. He was going by, "The Car Czar," a few years ago. Steve Shook probably nows how to get in touch with him if you can't. Just a thought.

Chris

Wow, it's a small world, I actually drove past Car Czar today and wanted to stop, but I was on duty for work. I noticed they had A LOT of Porsches in there shop, and they work on Helicopters also. I will give them a call tomorrow and see of they have the correct bolt.

CarCzar Website
turtleturtle
Well, Shooks did not have the hub, but I stopped by Car Czar today and got the hub and center bolt, all for free. Thanks a bunch for the help and thanks Peter!! Running video very soon, like in an hour ot two. smile.gif
turtleturtle
QUOTE(turtleturtle @ Apr 11 2008, 05:47 PM) *

Well, Shooks did not have the hub, but I stopped by Car Czar today and got the hub and center bolt, all for free. Thanks a bunch for the help and thanks Peter!! Running video very soon, like in an hour ot two. smile.gif

That went by smoothly! Car is running and sounds great. I have video, but can't find my SD card reader. Will post when I find it.
CMONNETT
I figured Peter would have what you're looking for. There are a bunch of great 914 people down in Corpus. Glad to hear you got your car going.

Chris
turtleturtle
QUOTE(CMONNETT @ Apr 11 2008, 10:11 PM) *

I figured Peter would have what you're looking for. There are a bunch of great 914 people down in Corpus. Glad to hear you got your car going.

Chris

Yeah, thanks. Are you going to be at the next PCA event next month? I'll be there. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.