Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie ???'s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
wacko.gif Since I think I know alot about these cars but squat when it comes to working on them, be easy on me. My new 2.7 conversion has two things that are bothering me:

First is the passenger side rear wheel is rubbing the inner fender(205 60's on 15 five bolt fuch's don't know the width yet) It's just that wheel, Drivers side does not. There is no evidince of any rust repair on that side and I can't find any rust so logic tells me it's spring shock related, or do I need to shim one side? Shocks are Yellow koni's with blue spring, I think they are 160's or 180's.

Second, is wierd but maybe not, My 4cycl does not do this. The drive shafts on both sides move freely inboard towards the tranny, about one inch ohmy.gif Then spring back twards the wheel. The movement it definately coming from the outboard wheel end. i have not had the wheel off yet to investigate. but I am thinking this is not right.

What should be my order of operations be to figure this out. TIA mueba.gif
Ferg
URY914
WELCOME!!!

1. It is not that strange to have a differace in fender to tire clearance from one side to the other even if the car is stock and never been hit. You should be able to pull out the fender or roll the lip under to stop the rubbing.

2. That is play in the CV joints and is not a problem at all. They have to move like that in order to work correctly.

Paul
Ferg
Thanks paul, nice to hear on the cv's phew. But The wheel is rubbing on the inside. Got plenty of clearance on the outside. Only rubs over bigger bumps and left turns, more so with a passenger, of course. Ferg.
Bleyseng
Usually the tight side is the drivers side but hey these were handmade cars. Could be the Fuchs are not the correct backset too. I run 6" Fuchs that are off a 72 911. I also run 7" Cookie Cutters that are off 84 944 that barely fit!
Check to see if the springs are seated in the perch registers, use plastic wire ties (drill holes) to hold the spring into the perch.
Check the CV's to see if the PO left the retaining C clips off the axle ends! If the CV slides far enough out of the axle you won't be going anywhere!
Geoff ohmy.gif
Ferg
Geoff
Thanks I will check it out this weekend! I'm pretty sure I have the 6 fuchs also. Can you describe the spring's in the perches procedure. I'm not getting a good visual on what to look for or do. Ferg.
Aaron Cox
about to do the rear/shocks springs in my teener. do you drill holes in the top or bottom perch?
Bleyseng
bottom
Brad Roberts
TOP!!!! you can see the bottom. Secure the spring to the top perch so it cant move.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.