Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mwwampler
I am new to this forum. We recently purchased a 1974 914 and are fixing the little thing that are out of whack. How do you remove the air duct on the passenger side. Mine seems to be jammed in there and is not flush. The second question is how to connect the springs in the glove box.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Wampler
1974 914 2.0
Spoke
welcome.png

BTW, it's customary for new members here to first provide pics of their cars. If you have some, please post them.

Which air duct are you referring. Please provide a pic.

As far as the glove box door spring, you may have to remove the box first to gain access. The box comes out through the bottom of the dash. There's a strap that holds it on. I think you can either slide the strap out of the way or disconnect it on one side. You may have to remove the bottom dash pad to get the box out. It is a tight fit. Once out, you should be able to see where the springs go.
type47
don't take offense but this is pretty much a standard reply in this case

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

i'm surprised i'm the first to post it biggrin.gif

welcome.png

and you can't turbo a 914. ummmm, what were your questions again?
ericread
Welcome!!! welcome.png

Are you speaking of the air vent on the right, ot the ducting which goes from the right side floor to begind the glove box? Or it could also be the front defroster vent?

Give this board enough information, and they will provide several possible solutions.

driving.gif
purple
are you talking about the vent that you adjust to blow air at your passenger? if so, the lower dash pad has to come out if you want good results and not damage it trying to un-F the thing.

i got "new" vents on ebay for 10 bucks
mwwampler
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Here are pictures of the vent and glove box. Any suggestions for either repair
davep
The vent has 4 snaps, two of which you can partially see on the near side. A little bit of plying with a flat blade may release the other side. It looks like it was not installed straight, and the tube on the back did not slide into the mating tube.
ericread
The vents on my 74 are pretty firmly attached to the lower dash pad. If you take the pad off, the vents should come along right with the pad, and replacement/repair is easy.

To remove the pad, four (or five) screws on the underside, and one screw (under a cap) in either side (tou have to open the door to see these. Unscrew these and the pad(with vents) drops right out.

r_towle
The spring for the glove box.

From what I remember, i take off the pivot hinge on the door so I can move it back far enough to hook up the spring.
Then you can pull the door onto the pivot.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.