Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have four photochops from fellow members
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
byndbad914
Click to view attachment
effutuo101
I like 1 and 2 equally. It is a really clean look. I wouldn't dismiss the other two. They are also cool.
Todd Enlund
That treatment on the Sheridan front bumper should look great.
byndbad914
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Apr 11 2008, 10:05 AM) *

I like 1 and 2 equally. It is a really clean look. I wouldn't dismiss the other two. They are also cool.

those are the two I am split between as well! So far out of 8 votes by co-workers of a print-out I made of this, #2 has 4 votes. Funny as that was the one I sorta rejected at first glance, but then when I put all four together on one page, I start liking it more and more. Has that Foose feel to me (slightly elegant if you can have an elegant 525HP Frankenstein race car).

I like #4 too but really does require the wheels blacked out and I just can't bring myself to black out brand new polished rim wheels.

PeeGreen 914
I really like #4 but #1 just looks soooooo cool.
minndodger
I voted for 1 but 2 was a very close 2nd.
rick 918-S
The mat black hood is better for glare.
championgt1
#4 aktion035.gif
jd74914
I like number 2 the best, with 1 a close second. The light color will keep the cabin cooler too. laugh.gif
byndbad914
a couple valid points have been made and I totally agree. The black on the hood would cut the glare, but I will be going semi-gloss (mmmaaaaayyyybbeee flat) on the color. Glare is the first thing I am concerned with.

And the lighter color should help keep cabin temps down. I am adding louvers to the hood (I have a perfect stock hood I will be hacking up and adding those to) and louvers right above my head and the passenger head on the roof to cool the cabin as well. The front louvers to pull more of the radiator heat out, the cabin louvers should be obvious. They are CF but I will of course be painting them.

Right now my cabin gets HOT when I am on the track. I can run in 50deg weather and be toasty as hell in that car. Summer months I feel dehydrated after a 20 minute session! So I bought a top air helmet to rig up this year too.
jhadler
Two words Tim...

Cool Shirt.

No, really. Especially in your car which I imagine is a cooker in the summer sun. That, and some forced air cooling for the helmet...

-Josh2

p.s. I voted for #2...
So.Cal.914
Don't forget the accent stripe. This is the darker green.

Click to view attachment
byndbad914
oh, now, wait... hmmmm. Dammit! hahahaha. Those look cool! I like the red one for sure, even the orange, and the top right (beige or the light green?) I could buy that pinstripe tape idea.gif since I would have to mask in a straight line, I should be able to lay pinstripe tape down in a straight line.

Josh - bought a top air helmet earlier this year and have an old heater motor to blow the air with smile.gif If I can't get it cool enough with louvers and the helmet, I am going to have to consider a cool shirt, tho' the setup is a bit pricey.
byndbad914
I said I would try to not ask anymore favors smile.gif

Having the stripe to break up the two dark colors looks cool.

So far, #2 paint scheme seems to be winning damn near hands down across the forums, as well as work. I had 20 votes here at work and they worked out

#1 = 6 votes
#2 = 10 votes
#3 = 3 votes
#4 = 1 votes

working for an aerospace contractor, I am surprised the military look went down so hard hahaha.

Soooo, Paul, could you do the pinstripes on #2 as well? Maybe #1 as well if not too much of an issue (#2 for sure since it is winning)
jhadler
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Apr 11 2008, 03:03 PM) *
Josh - bought a top air helmet earlier this year and have an old heater motor to blow the air with smile.gif If I can't get it cool enough with louvers and the helmet, I am going to have to consider a cool shirt, tho' the setup is a bit pricey.

You don't need the whole pump/cooler/hose setup. There are cool shirts that have small gel packs built into the fabric. Let it sit in an ice filled chiller for a while and put it on just before you report to pre-grid. They tend to last a pretty good time, and I know a few club racers that swear by 'em.

-Josh2
turtleturtle
I like #4
jimkelly
i removed the rear wing and dropped her a little bit : )

scotty b
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Apr 11 2008, 06:31 PM) *

biggrin.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif
Chris Pincetich
flat black+red stripe+grey primer would be totally rat-rod! Then some numbers or any graphic in red would look sweet on top of either body color. That's my vote beerchug.gif
I am doing my first ever bare-metal restoration and that is what I got, 3 cans of spray paint. It's for a Schwin beach cruiser. Black frame, red rims, and lots of chrome beerchug.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 11 2008, 12:41 PM) *

The mat black hood is better for glare.

agree.gif Camo treatment on #3 could look cool too.
byndbad914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Apr 11 2008, 06:31 PM) *

Click to view attachment idea.gif
Rand
I think a matte silver stripe would rock (maybe thinner than this though).

Click to view attachment
byndbad914
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 11 2008, 08:41 PM) *

I think a matte silver stripe would rock (maybe thinner than this though).

Click to view attachment

Rand... too funny... I got home tonight and realized that my house is kinda grey green with dark green trim that matches the dark green of that pic and I thought "I could just match my house with green and a greyish pinstripe." Swear it's true smile.gif

So maybe that is a "sign" that you did that laugh.gif

Note the house in the background
Click to view attachment
Dr. Roger
that red accent stripe is pretty sick. Hmmmmmmm.....
turtleturtle
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Apr 11 2008, 09:29 PM) *

flat black+red stripe+grey primer would be totally rat-rod! Then some numbers or any graphic in red would look sweet on top of either body color. That's my vote beerchug.gif
I am doing my first ever bare-metal restoration and that is what I got, 3 cans of spray paint. It's for a Schwin beach cruiser. Black frame, red rims, and lots of chrome beerchug.gif

Thta's pretty much what I am doing, but no chrome at all. Doing the rest though smoke.gif
Crazyhippy
If you're doing the stripe in tape... how about Chrome?

Bling Bling Yo!!

So.Cal.914
scotty b
Needs to be darker IMO. More like this

dw914er
#2 with an orange stripe would look pretty sick.

good spectrum of color that will flow, yet stand out

either #1 or #2 will look badass, and a 2 tone paintjob does look good on a 914

(i had a 2 tone sliver paint job on my car until i recently repainted it)
byndbad914
little update as to the overall votes in various polls I have set up between boards, work, and friends.

#1 - 43
#2 - 69
#3 - 16
#4 - 18

As of this post it looks like, in general, everyone likes #2. Many times folks have said either 1 or 2 so those were left out since it wasn't definite, but just goes to show those are the two that are hard to pick.

I am on the fence. If I intend to go to the hassle of putting a parting stripe, it will be dark green. If not, whatever Krylon offers in semi-flat that is close to 1 or 2 smile.gif
byndbad914
OK, hit Advanced Auto and semi-flat black was on sale!! Bought every can laugh.gif and checked out all the paints. Krylon really only had one green I would want, and it is camouflage green that us ultra-flat. The camera wasn't doing the best job in the house tonight but here is what I am going to be using (looks a bit like #1 and #4 had a kid - the cap is just slightly darker than #1 but I bet it turns out darker in reality, more like the green with the striped images).

Click to view attachment

They have an ultra-flat beige too that I could use to stripe it like stripe top right smile.gif

And here you can see on the rear fender why I rattle can the car v. pay real $$ to have it painted nicely....

Click to view attachment

thanks for all the votes and support!
ninefourteener
I like #3 the best... color on the sides/front and black on the top/hood.

I'd like to see some matching black rock chip guards on the front side of the rear fenders though (911 style)... I think that would really set the color scheme off right.
byndbad914
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Apr 14 2008, 01:41 PM) *

I like #3 the best... color on the sides/front and black on the top/hood.

I'd like to see some matching black rock chip guards on the front side of the rear fenders though (911 style)... I think that would really set the color scheme off right.

So I like the black sides since is "shortens" the car and matches the wheels better - I think lighter color on the sides needs all black wheels and, as mentioned before, don't have the heart to anodize or paint my nice polished halves I just bought 6 months ago smile.gif

That said, I am going to talk to my friend that does custom stickers and lettering and see if he can print out some nice thick Iron Cross stickers for the lower front of my rear fenders to essentially be rock shields that match the Focke-Wulf 190 aircraft based on a keen suggestion by a guy on the bird board...

IPB Image

but make the center match the green color maybe. I can probably get both and just hold them up and see what looks best (the white outline might be cool too like the wings).

from Wikipedia:
"The straight-armed Balkenkreuz, the emblem of the Wehrmacht, first used in a narrower form on Luftstreitkrafte aircraft in mid-April 1918, and as shown here, as it appeared on German planes, tanks, and other vehicles during World War II."
Todd Enlund
Technically, a Balkenkreuze is a form of Greek cross (Balken=Balkan=Greek), while an Iron Cross is a form of Cross Pattée. The Iron Cross has also been mistakenly known as a Maltese Cross, which is another animal...

Click to view attachment

And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread...
byndbad914
cool, thanks Todd. Yeah, the Iron Cross I typically think of is the "Maltese" cross which you point out is a misnomer and I knew to be the IC. I am obviously referring to the Balkenkreuze cross on the wing for this experiment.

You are a photochop guy, right??? hahaha, get ready for a favor asking...

Can you (or anyone else photoshoppin') put the Balkenkreuze cross, kinda big like this:

Click to view attachment

but right on the nicer painted, black side view directly above this post?????

edit - just got back from the bird board and dammit, this guy has got to quit giving me such good stuff to work with hahahaha. I think I will BC the hood and a couple on the wing maybe, then put the dragon nose art of the bottom one on my rocker panel and make the car #190 to match the FW190 theme.

Click to view attachment

Getting away from my name for the car of MBT-8 914 for V8 914 Main Battle Tank since it was so heavy by 914 standards, but the high HP/wt ratio and big wing make it more like a fighter aircraft anyway.

OK, that was gay, but hey... I was clearly making up for something with 525HP anyway hahahahaa werd.

Nobody be stealin' my lame paint scheme now!!! This town ain't big enough for two MBT-8 914 #190s. laugh.gif
Todd Enlund
I'll work something up for you tomorrow... stay tuned biggrin.gif
byndbad914
thanks! I am gettin' all excited now... it would be cool to see this image (as I suspect this is the color of rattle can camo green after I saw a rattle canned car last weekend)

Click to view attachment

with this dragon, rather large to fit the majority of the front section of the rear fender (no white background of course, just a red dragon)

Click to view attachment

With a large BC on the hood as white outline with black cross and then without the black cross (sorta ghosted cross with only the white outline showing so the green makes the cross)

For grins. It is hard to say how far I am gonna take this... but it is a race car so I should try to have some fun with it. I may just stick with trying to make a stencil and rattlecan a black skull and bones on the hood as I intended to for quite some time.
So.Cal.914

Click to view attachment
byndbad914
Hey guys...

Thought about it last night, and I won't be doing a WWII German aircraft theme of any sort out of respect. The scheme looks cool, but my good friend's dad was shot down over Germany, was hiding in tall grass and a Nazi soldier literally walked in front of him and his boot was just a few inches from his nose, spent time underground trying to escape and could see victory and was captured just before escaping Nazi lines.

He spent some serious time in the war prisoner camps, was beaten severely on several occasions, etc etc and was even interviewed on the History Channel about it, so it would be very, very lame of me to betray my most certain debt of gratitude for his service. He has serious back and knee problems to this day where they would beat him.

The dragon I may still consider if my friend that does stickers can make it from the graphic just to mix it up (and since it isn't assoc with Nazi aircraft).

The swastika on the tail wing was really getting to me last night looking at the plane I posted because that is such an obvious symbol of Nazism and so I just can't do it. The BC would look cool, but just symbolizes something I don't believe in at the end of the day. The scheme is menacing for all the wrong reasons.
Todd Enlund
While I understand your motivation, I also want to make sure that you understand that the swastika was the symbol of the Nazi party, and the balkenkreuze was simply the German national insignia, and in modified form still is today.

Here's something that you'll get a kick out of... this is a page from a 1972 Aurora model catalog. I had the XKE...

Click to view attachment
geniusanthony
you mentioned skulls, skull/cross-bones above, and If I may add the thought of a skull w/ crossed rods and pistons, saw it on the numberplate of a Buell motorcyle back when i dug those, before mortality and parenthood kicked in.
I have an image on my other pc. I will try and upload it later.
byndbad914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Apr 15 2008, 10:21 AM) *

While I understand your motivation, I also want to make sure that you understand that the swastika was the symbol of the Nazi party, and the balkenkreuze was simply the German national insignia, and in modified form still is today.

Here's something that you'll get a kick out of... this is a page from a 1972 Aurora model catalog. I had the XKE...

yeah, I been searching around google here and there between actually working hahaha and get the same vibe. I am going to straight ask Chat what he thinks of it... if it doesn't bother him then I am down to do it. He has no specific problem with Germany of course smile.gif nor do I as that would be lame stereotyping, I would just hate to have him see the car and somehow have that represent the Nazi party to him. I certainly considered the swastika and BC separate entities, but just worry that may be a line I don't want to accidentally cross. I am far from politically correct, but have some compassion in my black heart smile.gif

Skulls and crossbones work too, but again, I am seeing a lot of that on ricer cars these days - flat paints or satin paints with bones. Sorta want to separate myself from that mentality for certain and have no problem stereotyping the NOPI crowd as lame w00t.gif

edit - I do lots of edits cuz I forgets stuff... Tony, I have seen skull and pistons one and that is cool. If you can, it would be cool to post an image.
byndbad914
Nevermind... talking to Chat right now and he thinks it would be cute, but no swastikas of course... more to come
Rand
It would be a major trailer trek to the WCR.... But any chance? I would sure love to see this beast in person!
beerchug.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 15 2008, 02:35 PM) *

It would be a major trailer trek to the WCR.... But any chance? I would sure love to see this beast in person!
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I would love to hit the WCR, but with diesel averaging $4/gal now and supposedly around $5 by summer... just can't afford to do it. I get about 11-12 mpg at best towing, so that could become a $1000 round trip pretty quickly blink.gif

On another note, was on the phone almost an hour with Chat as he re-told me the whole story about being shot down over France in a B-17 (bomber crew), spending 4 weeks in France trying to escape in the French Underground, being captured, lined up in front of a firing squad at one point (!), then sent to the concentration camp for just over a year. I mean... wow... we owe such a huge debt of gratitude to our service people.

Anyway, he thought the idea of the "little German car" with the black cross on the hood, etc would be a "pretty cool little car", so I am back onto it smile.gif He knew about the FW190 as soon as I mentioned it and told me to paint the nose of the car orange too hahaha.

So now I am almost Hell bent to do it w00t.gif
So.Cal.914

Click to view attachment
geniusanthony
I found that image, for ya. I will add that I can most definately understand your outsourcing of ideas and opinions. Myself being only a short mount of time from going home and setting up for fresh color on mine, I have visions of a silver base and creamsicle trim in millions of colors, damn this stuff is tough...decisions eh?

but, as I promised...
Click to view attachment
byndbad914
Would anybody out there be so kind as to do this for me??

Take this image Paul did
Click to view attachment

And add a couple black crosses to the car in these locations:
Click to view attachment

The one on the hood would have to be black with white with black border to go over the green. Make it start at the license plate and end at the windshield, go completely across the hood width (he can make a sticker almost 50" wide) like this horrible job I did
Click to view attachment

The one on the side really would look more like this with only white to define it
Click to view attachment

Tony, thanks for that BTW. I talked to my friend that does custom stickers and graphics and mentioned skulls and bones and he immediately said for his race car he was making a logo sticker that was a skull with 2 pistons/rods and wrenches! I will be interested to see what becomes of that (owning your own biz keeps you so busy he probably will never get around to it hahaha).
So.Cal.914

Click to view attachment
byndbad914
AWESOME PAUL! Wow, I didn't think I would like it or it would look ghetto or too much like a Mini with a Union Jack on the roof, but I like it!

I would UPS you some beer if I thought it would make it or be allowed... I could send flowers but the implications of a man sending another man flowers av-943.gif gayfight.gif So best I can muster is a big Hell Yeah and Thanks!

Whaddaya you guys think???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.