Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Typo in Vin Door sticker?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
jaminM3
Check out this Ebay auction here

I emailed the seller and he said the sticker is original, but lists the VIN correctly in the aution and says it is correct on all the paper work.
jsayre914
Not a typo. I just searched wikpedia and found..........

In 1960, upon the floatation of part of the German federal government's stake in the company on the German stock market, its name became Volkswagenwerk Aktiengesellschaft (Aktiengesellschaft, abbreviated AG, being equivalent to the English Corp[oration] or American Inc[orporated]). The name was changed to VOLKSWAGEN AG on 4 July 1985, to reflect the company's increasing global diversification from its headquarters and main plant, the Volkswagenwerk in Wolfsburg, Germany.

fyo biggrin.gif
jaminM3
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 11 2008, 02:28 PM) *

Not a typo. I just searched wikpedia and found..........

In 1960, upon the floatation of part of the German federal government's stake in the company on the German stock market, its name became Volkswagenwerk Aktiengesellschaft (Aktiengesellschaft, abbreviated AG, being equivalent to the English Corp[oration] or American Inc[orporated]). The name was changed to VOLKSWAGEN AG on 4 July 1985, to reflect the company's increasing global diversification from its headquarters and main plant, the Volkswagenwerk in Wolfsburg, Germany.

fyo biggrin.gif

I was refering to the VIN# blink.gif
davep
Yep, a typo! Good one. I understand there was another typo earlier in the 1975 MY production run with incorrect dates.

Recall Campaign 'HC' VIN's 4752900016 to 4752902845 had 09/75 instead of 09/74.
euro911
What does the VIN # on the title match? confused24.gif ... the foil tag in door jamb, or the aluminum tag in the windshield. I've read that there's also an aluminum plate riveted in the front trunk area, somewhere on the passenger side.

If the aluminum VIN tag in the windshield is the number that matches the paperwork, it's possible that a P/O 'changed' that tag ... and you might have a difficult time registering the car dry.gif

If the aluminum VIN tag in the windshield is the only number that matches the paperwork out of the three locations, it's possible that a P/O 'changed' that tag ... and you might have a difficult time registering the car dry.gif

I'd verify all locations to be on the safe side cool_shades.gif
davep
There are three places where the VIN is stamped, and the decal is the fourth location. What is obviously wrong with the decal is something that has nothing to do with any other car. The two incorrect digits are 'impossible'. The fifth digit is ALWAYS a '9' on a 914/4.
The sixth digit was ALWAYS a '0', '1' or '2' and NEVER a '7'.
That makes it a typo.
jaminM3
If anything, I think it shows that the whole process back then was very manual and done by HUMANS that make mistakes. He/she just grabbed a 7 instead of a 9 and put the two in the wrong order. Must of been a Monday.... headbang.gif
Rav914
I have the same thing. All the VIN's for my car end in ....29, but the door sticker ends in ...30

Looks like they got one number off. I wonder how much it snowballed?
davep
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Apr 11 2008, 06:41 PM) *

I have the same thing. All the VIN's for my car end in ....29, but the door sticker ends in ...30

Looks like they got one number off. I wonder how much it snowballed?

You gotta give us pix of yours too!
euro911
Well, ya learn something new every day shades.gif

Just for peace of mind, I'll take a peek at mine this w/e, see if they all match up idea.gif
Rav914
Here are some pictures. You can see all the metal tabs end in 29. The sticker ends in 30. I just noticed when taking these photos my VIN has 914 in it. Must be good luck!

Nate
dw914er
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 13 2008, 09:33 AM) *

Mine is wrong too... it's supposed to start with *914xxxxxxx* sad.gif

biggrin.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif

thats odd though

'looks like somebody has (had) a case of the mondays'
Pat Garvey
Yuck, yuck!

Now for the truth! Get these problems straightened out NOW!

Do whatever it takes - phone calls, etc. ((forget emails - (PCNA does not respond) ((jerks!)).

They fuched up, and until you get it straightened up, you are in the ringer!

Always, always, always be certain you can prove the derivation of your 914 - always(get my drift?)! It could cost you thousands when it's time to sell - and we all have our picked time to sell, or is it just me?
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.