Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alpine head unit ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I just bought a new head unit for the 944 and have the option to get a 3 year warranty through fair trade for 25.00 I have never sprung for a nice unit and wanted to know if anyone has ever had a BAD experiance with an Alpine ? I hate spending $$ on a warranty if I probably won't need it confused24.gif

FWIW It is the CDA 9886

Mucho grassy ass
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 11 2008, 11:00 PM) *

I just bought a new head unit for the 944 and have the option to get a 3 year warranty through fair trade for 25.00 I have never sprung for a nice unit and wanted to know if anyone has ever had a BAD experiance with an Alpine ? I hate spending $$ on a warranty if I probably won't need it confused24.gif

FWIW It is the CDA 9886

Mucho grassy ass

I have put an Alpine in every car that I have owned. I have never had one fail. I only get new ones when I get new cars because I like to have new things.

I guess you could say I was happy with them.

Zach
scotty b
That's what I like to hear smile.gif I've always had Sonys and Kenwoods and decided to get what I always wanted this time.
HeavyHeavy
I've never had a problem with Alpine. Plus they offer some of the highest watts per channel from a head unit - plus they make it easy to plug in your IPod.
ws91420
Alpines are nice. Single cable to intergrate ipod and able to control from head unit.
Dr. Roger
4th, no 5th vote for the Alpine.

Taken mine through hell from below freezing to HEAVY dust and extreme heat a bunch of times.
After it's 3rd trip to Burning Man I needed to run a head cleaner through it.... ;-) That's about it. It was even stolen, recovered in a pile of stereo's, and reinstalled. LOL

I also run my cell phone/Windows Media Player through my headset and the 1KW amp and it really gets good then....
anderssj
Alpines in all three Volvos, one of them dates to 1991--never a problem--even the kids haven't killed them.
jaminM3
Another vote for the Alpine!

I have had problems with Kenwood, Sony, and especially with Pioneer (crap).

thumb3d.gif
WRX914
Used to own a car stereo company...Have a 15 year old Alpine in my truck. Uninstalled, reinstalled 4 times in 4 different vehicles! The unit is pretty awesome, with the only issues in 15 years is the volume control is a bit finicky. But what do you expect after 15 years of dusty dirtbike racing conditions?

Alpine rules

smilie_pokal.gif
jsayre914
I was also looking at Alpine for my car. I still cant decide between the Cda 9886 or the cda 9887. the 986 is priced at 217$ but the 9887 is slightly more cost is 299. they seem similar. Any opinion Save money right?

By the way how much did you pay and where did you get it? beerchug.gif
scotty b
219.00 on E-bay and it came with I-pod cable, remote control dry.gif etc. He had a better price than ANYONE locally Crutchfield included ! Don't get me started on my Crutchfield rant mad.gif

Oh and it was at the house 3 days later smile.gif

I looked at the 9887 and it just didn't seem werth it to me. It was just more doodads and gadgets I'd never use. Bluetooth etc.
jsayre914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 14 2008, 08:12 PM) *

219.00 on E-bay and it came with I-pod cable, remote control dry.gif etc. He had a better price than ANYONE locally Crutchfield included ! Don't get me started on my Crutchfield rant mad.gif

Oh and it was at the house 3 days later smile.gif

I looked at the 9887 and it just didn't seem werth it to me. It was just more doodads and gadgets I'd never use. Bluetooth etc.

its hard to find a cd player that actually plays cds now days. biggrin.gif i dont need the gizmos either
scotty b
Kinda like finding a cell phone that just makes pone calls. I went in last year to get a new phone, girl asks me what I'm looking for.

"Just a phone that gets really good reception. I don't want to play video games, text message, internet access or a camera, just a phone that will pick up anywhere"

Her response. Looking pretty bewilderd was " Sir all of our phones have a camera in them....."

" well give me the lowest resolution one, with the least amount of crap on it ( yes I really said crap wacko.gif ) that has the best reception"

I got a free phone av-943.gif
jsayre914
so what type of speakers amps etc. are you putting in there? I just got my speaker pods Friday. I still have to purchase my alpine. sad.gif
scotty b
Got a REALLY good deal on some Infinity Kappas last year. 4x6's in the doors and 6x9's in the rear hatch. Ive started fabbing some mounting panels on each side that will be hinged and lockable so I can still access the cubby holes, and keep my "trunk" space free. I'm contemplating a 3 way amp ( 6x9's) and a single sub as well. I've had a couple of nice boomers in the past but this will by far be my nicest REAL stereo yet.
jsayre914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 14 2008, 08:33 PM) *

Got a REALLY good deal on some Infinity Kappas last year. 4x6's in the doors and 6x9's in the rear hatch. Ive started fabbing some mounting panels on each side that will be hinged and lockable so I can still access the cubby holes, and keep my "trunk" space free. I'm contemplating a 3 way amp ( 6x9's) and a single sub as well. I've had a couple of nice boomers in the past but this will by far be my nicest REAL stereo yet.

Sounds Cool. beerchug.gif we can start our stero install thread soon biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
an extended warranty just makes your wallet a bit lighter, pure profit for the seller.
dinomium
the only thing I dont like, not so great FM reception...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.