Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny question/intermediate plate- need help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
So one day I'm going to TT this 914 with a stock rebuilt trans. Has anyone ever heard of using long bolts with nuts instead of the studs that hold the tail cone on. It's not every stud, maybe 5-6. The reason I heard to do this is that these studs work loose and that is a large factor in the intermediate plate failing. The bolts would go through from the rear and a nut added.
Joe Bob
A 901 is gonna lose it when it abused....mostly on high rev down shifts or banging too hard on first gear....like burn outs.

Not sure if there is a fix like WEVO has for the 915, but the intermediate plate gets loose when the bearing gets wobbly and hand grenades gears.

That being said, I beat the hell out of a stock unknown mileage 901 for 2 years until it let go. Replaced what broke, slapped it back together and as far as I know it's still running. I ran a 3.0 with CIS, 964 cams with a Quaife LSD....the new owner hasn't said anything....

If you're afraid of beating up, go with the 915 and the WEVO intermediate plate fix. I have it in my 911 with the 3.6. Just under 300hp.
sww914
To answer your question about the through bolts, I have a 911 with a 901 trans here, actually a 914 housing, that has been through bolted as you have described. It's running a 2.9L MFI engine built on a 930 case with 13.5:1 compression and some wild cams. I don't know how many HP it has but I figure around 300. The trannies last 2-3 years of track time, about 20 weekends a year.
Krieger
Thanks for the photos guys. I haven't installed eng/trans yet so I think I will do this. My big hang up is removing the tail cone to do this. I am not a tranny guy. Is this complicated, or will locking two nuts against e/o and doing 1 at a time possible? Any idea of the lenght of the bolts? Grade 8? Thanks beerchug.gif
racerbvd
iSystems has he upgrade parts you need for your 901.

http://www.isystemsperformance.com/
Dr Evil
Some info can be found following my tranny rebuild link below smile.gif

Report on what you do, this is interesting.
Krieger
I will contact iSystems and see if they have the long bolts. I looked closely at the trans cone. I doubt that I can remove the studs w/o removing the tail cone. Dr. Evil is there anything odd I need to do or look for to remove/reinstall tail cone? I will be swapping a tailshift cone for a side shift cone.
Dr Evil
Why tail for side? If you follow my instructions on my link you will be just fine. It can be a PITA, but is completely doable smile.gif I doubt you will get enough purchase to get the bolts out with the tail cone on. Make sure you get a new tail cone seal.
Krieger
I'm swapping cones because I must remove the cone to get to studs, so why not switch cones? I will check your link.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.