Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is that pulley for by the oil cooler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I was working on my project cars big bore motor, 2.4 that I pickup from my bud Jamie, and noticed a pulley down below the tin by the oil cooler. It didn't seem like it did anything. confused24.gif

VaccaRabite
That is for the thermostat cable. I am guessing that the thermostat is not plugged in? There is a bellows that runs a thin gauge cable up to the flaps on top of the cooling tin.

Zach
computers4kids
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 12 2008, 08:36 PM) *

That is for the thermostat cable. I am guessing that the thermostat is not plugged in? There is a bellows that runs a thin gauge cable up to the flaps on top of the cooling tin.

Zach

Zach, are you sure? I don't think so. I have the little black pulley for the thermostat bellows cable, but this is in addition to that pulley???

Here is a pic of the thermostat pulley (not my engine, but handy).
VaccaRabite
Huh. Dunno what the second pully would be for if it is not the one for the thermostat. Dunno what the second one would be for.

Zach
ejm
Looks like it may be a guide/tensioner idler for an a/c belt. Does the engine have a pulley behind the fan instead of the shim washer?
ws91420
For Air pump or A/C belt to help tension it.
ejm
Also noticed what looks like a fuel pump block off plate in the first pic. Was this a bus motor?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 12 2008, 07:36 PM) *

nope, wrong side of the motor. the thermostat cable runs up on the drivers side, not the passanger side ...
shades.gif Andy
914Sixer
It is for the A/C belt. I will get a picture in the morning of a NLA bearing. If anybody has one of these for sale, I need one for my A/C.
computers4kids
QUOTE(ejm @ Apr 12 2008, 08:56 PM) *

Also noticed what looks like a fuel pump block off plate in the first pic. Was this a bus motor?

Bus motor...no I don't think so, at least the case says GC...

Good eyes on the fuel block off plate. I looked at my 72 2ltr and I see the recess but no bolt holes are tapped. What's up with the plate???
ejm
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 13 2008, 03:16 AM) *

What's up with the plate???

Just a WAG but since the engine has carbs maybe it covers a botched attempt to drill the case for a mechanical pump.
rhodyguy
hijack. where does the line from the oil fill tower connect?

k
computers4kids
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 13 2008, 08:23 AM) *

hijack. where does the line from the oil fill tower connect?

k

Kevin, there is a single hole in the top of each air cleaner. I presume they T'd that off and ran it to a puke tank and had the oil filler tube connect to the puke tank as well.
At least that's my guess...

Also interesting is the engine number says the motor is a 75 or 76. The heads and the tin must then have been backdated since there are no air injection ports or evidence of them now.
JRust
That is one sweet looking motor! Can't wait to hear it run & feel it's pull aktion035.gif
hcdmueller
Definitely A/C tensioning pulley. I just pulled one off my engine a couple months ago. You can see where the cylinder tin is chopped up for the compressor install. Your heads are definitely not 75/76 either. My 76 heads don't have breathers on them.
computers4kids
QUOTE(ejm @ Apr 13 2008, 04:53 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 13 2008, 03:16 AM) *

What's up with the plate???

Just a WAG but since the engine has carbs maybe it covers a botched attempt to drill the case for a mechanical pump.

Well, here is a shot of that cavity with the block-off plate removed. I don't know if you can tell from the picture but, it definitely has some sort of shaft inside tapped into an oil gallery. Does anyone else have a clue....????

QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Apr 13 2008, 04:58 PM) *

Definitely A/C tensioning pulley. I just pulled one off my engine a couple months ago. You can see where the cylinder tin is chopped up for the compressor install. Your heads are definitely not 75/76 either. My 76 heads don't have breathers on them.

Yep, I can see the other pulley spoken of earlier if you look up behind the fan housing.
Heads have these numbers: 039101371A stamped inside valve covers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.