Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 idle problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cwpeden
So my idle is all over the place... mad.gif

Somtimes its even at around 1000
Then it may fluctuate between 1000 and 1500-1800
Then sometimes its stays at around 2000

If I'm sitting at high idle at a light I can 'force' the engine down to 1000 with the clutch and brake and it may stay there.....or not

So my question is: Barring vacuum leaks, How do I know if the MPS is faulty? or the AAR? or CHT? or whatever else might cause this.

Note: All new hoses, all new gaskets, same old FI parts
kconway
Good website to help troubleshoot Djet problems is Brad Anders site: http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm

You need to pull a vacumm on the MPS to test it, do a search here for details.

Kev
rhodyguy
you're going to ruin your clutch. then it's a flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing, assorted other items...then "while you're in there"... stop doing that.

k
Bleyseng
its got to be a vacuum leak or the AAR valve is sticking
cwpeden
Its not like I'm riding the clutch to keep it there. Just giving it a little shove to get the idle down, no more than starting on a hill from 1st. Then the clutch comes off or on I guess.
Rand
I had similar symptoms. The problem was the timing wasn't retarding at idle reliably. The solution was cleaning / lubing the the distributor advance plates and replacing the vacuum canister (wouldn't hold a vacuum).

cwpeden
It turned out to be stuck AAR
p914
I have a couple to sell if you need one.
drgchapman
QUOTE(p914 @ Apr 21 2008, 04:27 PM) *

I have a couple to sell if you need one.

I have followed this thread with interest as my 73 does exactly the same thing. How much for a working AAR valve? I'd like to get another and see if it fixes my idle issues.

Gary
cwpeden
I just took it out turned it over and flushed it with carb cleaner.

I had three and they all had the casing cracked on the wire where it comes out of the AAR but they all worked ok with a dose of carb cleaner.

The connector from the AAR to the harness CHT is a little suspect though

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Uh, there is no connector from the AAR to the CHT. They don't even plug into the same wiring harness! The AAR plugs into the "engine harness", the one with the coil wires and such, while the CHT plugs into the FI wiring harness that goes to the ECU and injectors and so on.

--DD
Jeffs9146
When my car did this it was stripped CHT threads so it would loose ground and then get it again.
cwpeden
Yeah Dave, I just looked at the pic and thought maybe thats the CHT confused24.gif

I'm no guru on this stuff. I need to relearn everything each time I open the lid
jk76.914
You running points or ignitor or ??? I had a problem where my idle would settle at various RPM. Turns out, my Ignitor 1 module was rubbing the inside of my distributor cap. Leaned it over enough that the inboard corner of the ignitor machined a nice groove around the OD of the rotor. So what was happenning is the vacuum advance would advance the plate, and there was enough friction to hold it there- sometimes. So sometimes my idle was maybe 1200-1500, but sometimes it dropped back to 800. If I blipped the throttle, I could sometimes get it to dislodge and go back to where it belonged.

My Ignitor 1 is circa 1986. For years I used aftermarket caps, with no problem. Finally I switched to a Bosch cap, and voila, interference.

I ground the corner of the Ignitor module down, and relieved the inside of the Bosch cap with a drum sander on my dremel tool- cuts like butter. No more binding.

Haven't seen a similar problem posted here yet. Just another idea.

Jim
Bleyseng
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Apr 21 2008, 11:30 AM) *

It turned out to be stuck AAR

What do I win??? piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.