Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil? anyone know how much I should have in my 6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
degreeoff
OK I have a slightly smaller than setrab type oil cooler up front, 12an lines and the stock tank with a mocal t-stat...I have put 12 qts in this beast and still get no reading on my dipstick while @ idle....do I need more oil??

Thanks

Josh
Joe Bob
Run it until the car is warm and the oil thermostat opens, make sure you are on level ground, keep it running. Add 1 quart at a time, keep checking the dip stick....between 12-14 quarts is normal.

Don't let it get more than above 1/2 way on the stick....too full and you suck oil in thru the intake and kill mosquitos for the next week....
degreeoff
Why would I suck oil into the intake?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Apr 13 2008, 11:11 AM) *

Why would I suck oil into the intake?

look where your oil tank vent lines go...
Joe Bob
There's a breather from the oil tank that's connected (or should be) to the air cleaner of the carbs or FI intake. Normally heated oil fumes are regurgitated thru the engine along with the air and gas. If not vented to the intake or down under the car, you'll spread a nice thin layer of oil all over the motor. It then attracts dust and turns a nice shade of gunky black.

If the tank is too full, oil can slosh around when making hard turns or going up/down a steep driveway, get sucked in and then get a nice dark cloud of smoke out the exhaust. You also oil up your plugs.
degreeoff
Nope...non of that here just the main breather that goes to the case , then one that goes from the tank to an overflow tank with a breather type filter on it.
Joe Bob
Post a pic....if it vents in the engine bay you'll just oil up the whole area and be a dust and sludge collector. But...hey, it's YOUR ride....

I kept a breather like that on my turbo....kept meaning to re-route it and had the waste gate get stuck....spayed oil all over. Live and learn....had the lines and stuff sitting on a shelf, I was just lazy.

I pulled the intake off to seal air leaks and did the clean up then....long job to do something I shouldn't have had to do if I had simply taken 10 minutes to do it right the first time.
degreeoff
Here is my setup. I vent from the tank to this lil catch tank. which then vents through that filter dohickie? If this is not correct please let me know....

Click to view attachment
Joe Bob
At least it's not in the engine bay. You'll probably have some residue under that filter after a hard run....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Apr 13 2008, 03:48 PM) *

Click to view attachmentHere is my setup.
lotsa weight and expense in that vent setup...

I don't recall - is the only vent exit the fitting out of the filler neck, or is there one at the tank too?
degreeoff
So I should be running from the catch back into the airfilter housings?
degreeoff
Well there is one that vents from the crankcase to the tank, then the one that vents from the filler neck....which runs into the above setup. It is the way the PO had the tank set up only without the catch tank just that filter off the filler neck. The catchtank and filter + hose wieghs about 1-2 lbs MAX
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Apr 13 2008, 04:02 PM) *

Well there is one that vents from the crankcase to the tank, then the one that vents from the filler neck....which runs into the above setup. It is the way the PO had the tank set up only without the catch tank just that filter off the filler neck. The catchtank and filter + hose wieghs about 1-2 lbs MAX

if it's a street car, you may have issues with the emissions guys about venting directly to the air. if it's a track car, it's pretty much the way it's done.

except you don't need braided hose for a vent, and you don't need a $25 tube hose end and 3 fittings to connect to the filter. but it's your car, do what makes you happy!
degreeoff
These were pieces I had left over from a lot I bought...so it was no $$$ off my back as it came as a package....It is overkill no doubt!...LOL BTW after the few drives I have been on I fear that the street end of this ride will be few and far between...It is meant to go fast and RACE! Historic tags and no E missions!
J P Stein
Some empirical info.
Mikey has it right, fully warmed engine, half way to the full mark.

In street ops, your catch tank will prolly remain dry. At AX, I'll often pump 4-8 OZ of oil into the catch tank....slosh in the oil tank seems to get caught up in the windage.
I put the breather filter goodie *in the catch tank*, then vented the lid (a plastic mixed nuts jar). Your set up may drool oil onto that pretty paint.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 13 2008, 09:08 PM) *

Some empirical info.
Mikey has it right,

Scary...ain't it? unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.