Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I know you've heard this before
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment
I've been working for the past year to make the steel flares I got from AA fit just right. I worked so hard to make them match the curve of the fiberglass rockers that I had ordered at the same time. You can see from the photo that the black of the rockers is a match. Now I've moved on to the fit of the rockers and they just aren't right. To start with they are so much thicker than the seel ones that came off. I don't see how the threshold plate (or whatever you call the aluminum plate that is on the bottom of the door opening) will fit proper if the rocker is so thick. I still have the original steel ones. Has anybody tried to blend the front and back flare of the fiberglass ones to the stock metal units.

Any other ideas?
burton73
I need to see a better picture. Not all glasswork is the same and most will take a lot of massaging. The first company I got a set from did not fit well. The second needs to be lengthened on the driver side by ¾ inch. I will say this, Marty has perfect rear valance to fit the GT contour but the sides are not perfect. My car is just getting on my rotisserie this week. I hope AA Factory GT molds are right as will save a lot of time for everyone flaring their cars.

Bob
PanelBilly
I'm assuming the metal flairs were a match to the original, but the rockers had a totally different radius especially on the front side of the back wheels. I worked the metal to match closely and the used polester filler to finish off the curve. Since I don't have the front and back valance, I'm wondering how close they will match.

I guess I'll order Marty's parts and modify them to fit what I have.
degreeoff
My thread has a show and bit#$ about fitting the bloody things!
tracks914
I bought a set and found the drivers side to be 3/4" too short too! WTF.gif

Oops my bad, I must have put the fender on 3/4" too far back. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif Car was hit and repaired and I used the wrong point to measure from. headbang.gif
boxstr
I have had to have two sets of rockers made for flared cars. Both were done by hand by Steve Hebert and they came out perfect.
This is not an easy task, but if given to a real craftsman you will not be disappointed.
CCL
PanelBilly
QUOTE(boxstr @ Apr 15 2008, 09:29 PM) *

I have had to have two sets of rockers made for flared cars. Both were done by hand by Steve Hebert and they came out perfect.
This is not an easy task, but if given to a real craftsman you will not be disappointed.
CCL

So did he make them out of steel?
914Sixer
You have to remeber that all the 916'S that were built were PROTOTYPES. With that said, all of the cars were hand built. SOOO, the flares were never in the same place. No matter which car you pull the molds off will be the same.

Here is an option I am working on. POOR quality AIR flares that are going to be molded onto stock fiberglass. This way I can "adjust" my ends to where ever they fit the best.
lotus_65
is this thread just a ruse to show off how sweet your flares fit?

nice work. bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.