Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove a car from winter storage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
I have a 1974 1.8 liter that I put into storage Nov 1 of last year.
I changed the oil and filter and drove the car 10 miles to my heated storage garage.
On the way I put in gasoline stabilizer.
I filled the tank.
Put air in the tires.
Put it into a storage bubble.
On Tire Cradles to prevent flat spots.
Removed the battery and put it on a shelf with an automatic trickle charger.

It's almost six months later...

So, when I get ready to take it out, I will deflate the bubble. Put the battery back in.

Then what?

Put in the key and start her up?
Remove the coil wire and turn it a few times first?
Do I have to change the oil again? If so, the filter?
Pull the plugs and shoot the cylinders with stuff?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Paul
73Phoenix20
In the case of all of my various non winter drivers, I just use the Stabil, run it thru the system, like you did, and then just fire it up the next Spring... priming the oil galleys first wouldn't hurt, but not really necessary... fresh hot battery, and let her rip! I usually run the car for a few miles, and then throw in another oil change, just in case there was any reason for condensation in the sump, but I don't think that will be an issue with yours!

Watch the brakes for the first few stops, as they can get a light rust coating on them and not stop as effectively as you would like ...

In my case, I have a bit of a bigger challenge... have to reassemble the dash and related components before I can even try to fire up the GTX!
warrenoliver
Hey Paul,

How did the "bubble thing" work out? Was it still inflated? Did it do everything you expected?
Hope you are getting better weather than we are in Wisconsin. Although next week is supposed to finally get into the 60's and maybe even the 70's! piratenanner.gif

Have fun with it.

Warrenoliver
Elliot Cannon
When winter is over, I take the rain hats off my carbs.!! av-943.gif

Cheers, Elliot

BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Paul:
I do the same as you prior to storage , except no storage bubble, no tire

cradle. in the spring install battery, fire it up let run for 1/2 hr. then go for a 2 hr.

drive,( good weather a must)and thats it. Dave slap.gif
orthobiz
QUOTE(warrenoliver @ Apr 13 2008, 10:56 PM) *

Hey Paul,

How did the "bubble thing" work out? Was it still inflated? Did it do everything you expected?

Warrenoliver

Here's current pix of the bubble:
Winter Storage
So far so good. Update when I finally take it out!

Any more opinions on changing the oil? It's been in for six months with a total of 10 miles on both the oil and the filter.

Paul
r_towle
Deflate bubble, install fresh battery.
Start car.

Drive car.
For the first drive, ensure you take a long one that heats up the motor to boil off any moisture that is in the oil. You need to take a long drive for this.

If the oil looks foamy in the filler neck after this ride, change it.

Rich
ConeDodger
Paul,
How you store it is more important than how you take it out... You certainly covered all the bases. Start it up and drive it home... Some would say to change the oil again as it has formed acids over the winter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.