Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NOS Deceleration Valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I got this NOS deceleration valve in today. It came in a VW/Audi box.

VW/Audi 067 133 563
Bosch 0 280 160 122

Bosch 0 280 160 102 is for 1.7l
Bosch 0 280 160 108 is for 2.0L
kconway
Nice, I'd love to have one like that for my engine.

Mark, you have any NOS fuel pressure regulators in the $25 range? Kicking myself for not jumping on one listed on ebay a few weeks ago...

Kev
Bleyseng
its not for a bus.

test the puppy to see where it operates. It should work fine in a 914.
zonedoubt
Slight hi-jack here. This was being discussed in the parts for sale forum so I'll bring it over here.

Is this a 1.8L deceleration valve?
Jett
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 14 2008, 06:44 PM) *

I got this NOS deceleration valve in today. It came in a VW/Audi box.

VW/Audi 067 133 563
Bosch 0 280 160 122

Bosch 0 280 160 102 is for 1.7l
Bosch 0 280 160 108 is for 2.0L

smile.gif I need this part smile.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Apr 15 2008, 12:34 PM) *

Slight hi-jack here. This was being discussed in the parts for sale forum so I'll bring it over here.

i believe so.
at least for a 75 1,8.
still trying to get to the bottom of whether it is for a 74 1.8.
bit of ambiguity there in the parts manual/factory maual.
74 1.8s might have had the earlier decel valve.

regarding the other decal valve, starting thread.
earlier 914 valves have mounting bracket built in.
would need a bracket for it.
interestingly fuel pressure valve looks similar and does not have a mounting bracket.

far as i know the earlier small decel valves are alleged to be adjustable.
not sure how - manual does not give a procedure as far as i can tell.
later big flat ones are not.

the earlier valves have the same part number as the later valves - later differ only in ending with B - indicating usually a superseding part. should mean the late 1,8 valve can be used on earlier 914 1.7? later one is 022 133 551B earlier one is 022 133 551.

when you throw up a search on that part # at start of thread its hard to get anything to come up. part #s from the 914 parts catalogue pop up the correct part easily on a search.
Krieger
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Apr 15 2008, 11:34 AM) *

That looks like the one that was on my 76 912E. Also L Jet.
wonkipop
part # 067 133 563 i think translates its for a mark 1 golf engine.
067 - its an engine code part # or more properly a parts code prefix for the engine it was first designed for - not a model and seems to bring up other mk1 golf engine parts.
133 - engine / subgroup33 intake-vacuum sytem.
563 - sequential part # in the chronological numbering or sometimes a specific part that always gets that number but is distinguished by the parts code prefix.

there are a few mk 1 golf parts that go on to supersede 914 parts.
one that comes to mind is infamous interior light for back pad.
might work?

these codes beginning with 0 are really hard to unravel backwards - you need access to a list of all the various codes for these kinds of misc. parts as its not based on models. i've never found such a list. same goes for the last three letters. another list i have never found.
mark04usa
My Bosch Jetronic manual shows 0 280 160 ...series numbers refer to fuel pressure regulator....looks like what you may have there...I don't see that # listed....
mark04usa
I looked further in the Bosch book...in the L-Jetronic section I see the 0 280 160 series labelled vacuum limiter...so looks like the closest I see is a 102 for 74 1.8, or a 120 for an AT bus...
wonkipop
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jun 23 2021, 10:55 PM) *

My Bosch Jetronic manual shows 0 280 160 ...series numbers refer to fuel pressure regulator....looks like what you may have there...I don't see that # listed....

there is a chance that is what it is.
fuel pressure regulator and early version of decel valve look superficially similar in appearance, only decel has a bracket.

decel valves do run in the 133 series for the middle three numbers as vw part numbers for both 914s and other type 4s.
fuel pressure regulators run in both 133 and 906 series for middle three numbers.
the 133s cover the 1.7 and 2.0 and 906 covers the 1.8s.
wonkipop
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jun 23 2021, 11:05 PM) *

I looked further in the Bosch book...in the L-Jetronic section I see the 0 280 160 series labelled vacuum limiter...so looks like the closest I see is a 102 for 74 1.8, or a 120 for an AT bus...

there is/was (perhaps was is the key word?) a bunch of these decel valves that covered things like the automatic transmission versions of VW 411s and 412x etc. i think they would all operate slightly differently or otherwise there would likely be just a universal one. be the diaphram inside them that is different.
wonkipop
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jun 23 2021, 11:05 PM) *

on subject of a 102 for a 74 1.8, that agrees with 914Sixer's note that a 102 is also for a 1.7 and with what i have been digging up. parts of the factory manual imply that 74 1.8 L jets might have retained the earlier decel valve before switching over to the later flat saucer shaped one in 75 or maybe late 74? #5 on the diagram. and as noted both have essentially the same vw part # except the later has a B at the end.

also very early 914s seem to have something other than a decel valve. its got a different name. something like "branch valve". not sure it worked like the decel valve, ie it probably gave a nice sharp throttle response coming off revs and slightly predates harsher anti pollution tests etc.

as an historical aside, sometimes fuel pressure regulators were subbed as decel valves as an emissions cheat (visual inspection cheat) back in the mists of time. decel valves were not popular back in the day with some drivers who liked the throttle to come down quickly off revs. usually what was done in places like aus, esp with 911s was the valve was removed and all the lines plugged. but you can also just sub in a pressure regulator and it does exactly the same thing, but looks like the proper decel valve. i believe some americans got up to this. (i know they did on my car - it drives great, but you need to keep it tuned to make sure you don't get backfiring in the muffler). recently i did toy with finding a decel valve and re-installing but they seem to be virtually impossible to get hold of anyway. vw changed the shape of that valve for 75 to make it very different from the pressure regulator valve. who knows why, maybe there was a functional reason.

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
i did a bit more googling in some spare time.
i'd looked into all this 6 months or more ago.

lots of too and fro-ing on decel valve discussion on this site in the past and on other porsche vw sites.

i did find this one.

https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=13891

contains an interesting post from the administrator half way down the thread.
gives an insight into the endless array of decel valves (and variety of part #s) and a hint of some of the vacuum settings and what they will produce. including cal spec aircooled vws being set up with a different vacuum setting to rest of USA. also higher altitude settings are mentioned.

seems to me any of these decel valves, similar in appearance with an adjustable nut could be made to do the job for a 914. so long as you know the vacuum setting you are after and can achieve it with the adjustment it ought to be a goer. including the one at start of thread if its a decel valve.

which is of interest to me because there is one lying around on a pile of parts from an early 911 engine in the workshop. its the small 914 shaped one. its got a nut on it.
i might take a closer look at it and see if its workable and report back. i'm kind of half interested in installing one properly adjusted to see what it does. its pretty simply plug and play stuff to put it on the engine. crazy prices for ones for sale stopped me going further 6 months ago. ironic that a part everyone was binning half a century ago is now rare and sought after.

i'm not so sure about the later big one fitted to 1.8s being a good choice. its not adjustable. so its take it or leave it - you would have to hope its still in good order.

but i'm satisfied now that my earlier 74 did run the small one, not a big one.
i found something from dave darling on that and he would know.

------
close match here for one at top of thread, but not quite a cigar.
80s passat and audi.
looks like vw charge 9 euro for a bracket.
i think the heritage part site will only throw up parts in stock, so it likely does not do a historical search for a part that once existed?

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.