Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TOT: IPHONE good or bad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
Hello Anyone have true life situations with the IPHONE ?? I am considering a purchase. I am not a MAC user, doe's this make a difference??
Thanks
Craig
McMark
Love it, can't imagine ever going back. I'm doing research on the internet every day for something or another, and plenty of times I'm NOT at my desk. The iPhone makes that possible. And being able to read my email as it comes in is great. It's one of those things that can't be described well enough to make it sound as amazing as it really is.

The touch screen is intuitive and natural.

I LOVE IT!
Mark Henry
Oh! they're great...what is it?

.....says he who has never owned a cell phone....or paid a cell phone bill....
horizontally-opposed
Good in a lot of ways:

-Phone layout/interface
-Internet
-Email layout/interface
-Flexibility
-Maps
-Stocks
-Weather
-Excellent camera for a phone
-Nice layout of access to stuff/features
-Great organizational
-More features than I'll ever need in a phone

Bad in a few ways
-Expensive
-ATT is not my preferred carrier (but then who is?)
-Pretty slow on non-wireless internet (i.e. ATT)
-Access to 914world.com 24/7 anywhere (what did you say, honey?)
-Touch screen means undefined "buttons"
-More features than I'll ever need in a phone

OVERALL: VERY good!

Hard to imagine going back, also.

pete
dw914er
dad has it

loves it!!!

easier to use than his treo, and basically it is set up for any skill of user

the bad, you can go on youtube and watch videos, which im sure isnt work related

but its an easy phone to you, and you can store 8g (or16g) of music, use internet (wireless is fast), send mulitple texts, emails, go online, view maps, weather, etc

if i wasnt broke, id get one casue my razer is about to die

(i also happen to be a mac user, but i know others who have it and say it is just very easy to use)
purple
i love iphones, but i was stuck on t-mobile just because you can get a blackberry with a MUCH cheaper plan and have unlimited data, texting, internet, with 1000 minutes for about the same amount as the iphone plan with less minutes, and only 200 texts. for the unlimited texting, it's 15 more a month, putting it at 98 bucks or something like that.

the blackberry pearl is a piece of shit by comparison though. what an awful browser, jesus barf.gif

that being said...my main beef with the iphone is that the people i like least in this world, douchebags, all seem to have them. sucky, that.

i'd get one if AT&T didnt do this : sheeplove.gif
Jake Raby
I have one and love it as well. It has been very useful with all my video and radio show recording as I can even interface it with a mixer and import a phone interview into my mac for recording the RAT podcast..
I swapped to it from a Blackberry after I smashed it a few weeks ago accidentally.

I liked the Blackberry better as a phone and it had a better signal in my rural area, even though they both share AT&T networks. I also liked the blackberry better for web based content and the data connection was faster.

The Iphone is better with data on a WiFi network, because the blackberry did not interface with wifi.

I think that anyone that isn't familiar with a Mac would have a bit of a learning curve with it..

I do like it better than the blackberry all around...
sww914
I played with one at the Mac store and I really want one except for 3 things-
It's too delicate a $500.00 thing for me to carry around,
AT&T signal doesn't reach my house,
I already have a geek brick that does all that stuff, just not as nicely.
mightyohm
iphone goooooooooooood.
Gint
I love mine.

It's not delicate at all. Mine has taken more headers than my old razor did and still hasn't even hardly scratched.

And I truly believe that if you handed one to anyone they could be up and running with it in a matter of minutes, whether they are mac users or not.
biosurfer1
They need to get it on other carriers than AT&T...

Now, an IPhone with my SERO plan on Sprint..I'd be all over that!
michaelt55
I have one, switched from the blackberry to the IPHONE. I like it..its much more useful than I had figured...would not go back to the blackberry..

Michael
Joseph Mills
+1 on all of the above.

Also nice to sync with my mac business calendar.

I use an aftermarket rubberized case holder. Makes it a bit more durable.

And it does have a remarkable camera for a phone...

dw914er
it does have a good camera

my dad got some great pictures from the rose bowl game, and compared to my razor, you can see the quality.

and if you are a mac user (like me) they have alot of neat features that are easy to explore
ws91420
I would have one but can't justify the price. AT&T for me isn't that bad.
Gint
Durability?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=czCCavcnNd8
dw914er
they are a pretty tough phone

i wouldnt do that test on my phone, and i wouldnt recommend dropping it, but its still pretty tough
VaccaRabite
It looks cool. But the lack of buttons had me hating it. There is zero tactile feel that lets you dial w/o looking at it.

It makes a cool palm-top computer, but a pretty crappy phone. I needed a phone, so back it went.

Zach
Rand
iPhone rocks. There are also Windows equivalents for those like me who need true native Windows and Office apps. Mine is unlocked, so I can use any service provider I want - I would not want to be tethered to ATT where I live!

EDIT: Hi Zach. Ironically I love mine because all the space that would normally be taken up by physical keyboard is now used for screen real estate!! I love having the most compact unit possible with the biggest screen possible! The virtual keyboard on mine rocks, and with the new paradigms, the keyboard is used far less compared to the on-screen interface.
Gint
Mine has already done a few 3 foot drop tests. On tile and blacktop parking lot (getting out of my 914 naturally).

And I bought mine because it's a better handheld computer then a cell phone. And yet, it still is. In fact, I bought it also because of it's hanheld computer potential.
74GoKart
I have had the opportunity to play around with one and would definately think about it if I had the option of another network besides AT&T.
swood
How do you get an "unlocked" one? I'd go for it if I could use it with Verizon.
r_towle
First thing Craig...
email...
the Iphone does not natively support corporate email. No MSExchange.
There are services for it, but you forward your mail to someguy.com

That was the killer for me.
EVERY other smart phone hooks up to corporate email, just not the IPhone.
Cant buy the Iphone under a corporate agreement, nor under a business. You must buy it personally, so no write off plan...not sure if that changed recently...I better.

I ended up with the Voyager because of these issues...
the Iphone is a cool phone, but commercially someone was not thinking straight...they really could have stormed the corporate world if they just agreed to pay MS for the licensing...oh well.

for more phone data....loads of it, including hacks, unlocks etc...
http://www.howardforums.com

Rich
McMark
iPhone software update 2.0 will add MS Exchange functionality. Due out June-ish. More info...

Oh, and I've had AT&T for almost 10 years. For what it's worth.
Porcharu
I am the wrong one to ask, I HATE cell phones (hell I can't stand normal phones.) Hate, hate, hate the damn things even if I use one every day for work. I hope to someday have a simple job where I don't have to have one of damn things. If not I am going to get one those old fart cells that are just phones.
Steve
rhodyguy
wrong forum. get with the program. dry.gif headbang.gif i have 2 cats. i didn't want 2 cats but they showed up at my house so now i'm stuck with them.
computers4kids
Craig...does this mean you can get to the deals even FASTER if you get an iphone? In that case, they work awesome unles you live in Oregon where ATT service is very poor. Something to do with the ozone layer thinning. Sorry for the bad news... happy11.gif
boxstr
Mark Bite me. Sending this with my IPHONE. ha ha =cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.