Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel return line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spunone
Anyone using the return line when they have Carbs if so How. Looks like most bypass regulators have to drain to the Top of the fuel tank you can't use exsisting bottom return in tank. Thanks confused24.gif
Mark Henry
Plug it.

You would only use one if your trying to use a FI pump for carbs....but then you may as well use a lighter to check your fuel level.

BTW ....I KNOW no one is DUMB enough to try use a lighter to check your fuel level....right?!
DOH!!!!
brant
I know that the common technique is to not use a return...
but all factories, and race engineers use a return line to recirculate fuel

there is a long long long thread about this in the archives.

cool recirculating fuel creates more horse power and prevents vapor lock...

do 914's have a vapor lock issue historically... hm... ?
my opinion is that de-engineering something to be lesser than the factory, is certainly not a step forward.

I run a return line on my race car with carbs.
I know many 4 and 6 cylinder race cars that do this.
it will run fine if you plug it
it is simplier to plug it
but it is a tiny, micro bit better to us a recirculating system

thus my belief that the best cars
the best race cars at least
are built to take advantage of every single little micro advantage

kinda reminds me of some book or the other by mark donahue... hmmm...

brant
aka "Captain Krusty in training"
spunone
ok but can you use the return on the bottom of the tank or do you have to put a hole on top? Aeromotive sez you need the return on top if using a bypass reg at low pressure like 4lbs
lotus_65
i use one, but it's 90% plugged. just enough to feed back excess.
spunone
Heh can I run from the regulator to both carbs then out from the carbs second out let to the tank return? on the Dells there is one carb that has 2 intake fittings gas in on one of them exit on the other.
SLITS
From pump to 1st carb ... then to second carb .... THEN TO REGULATOR .... regulator return to fuel tank.

it's piped the same as an FI system

or

from pump to regulator ... split outlet to both carbs and block return on second carb. Return from regulator bypass to tank.

spunone
THanks Ron can I tee them pump to tee to carbs to reg then to tank?
SLITS
I screwed up ... assumed both carbs had the "T" fitting ... getting really bad in my old age. To make it work, you want <5 psi to the carbs, usually about 3.5 psi.

So, pump to regulator ... regulator bypass to fuel tank ... regulator outlet to 1st carb with "T" and then to carb with single fitting .. dead end. Measure fuel pressure at this end before hooking up to carb.

If you had bypass "T"s on each carb, my first idea would work the best ... cool fuel to the carbs at all times.
SLITS
Paul, if you want to hook it up like FI, I can see if I have a Del with a "T" fitting on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.