Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Injectors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
The last time I bought a fuel injector for my 914 was back in the '70s, they were $40 new at the dealer, and there were no alternatives.

That was then, and here we are in 2008.

Pelican? AA? BusDepot? New? Remanufactured? And if rebuilt, who or what is reliable and any good? confused24.gif

This be for a '70/1.7.

Thanks to all, Paul
SLITS
There are many that can rebuild them ... actually, it's just cleaning them and checking the spray pattern and calibration. If they leak, they toss 'em. To my limited knowledge Python Industries (Stanton, CA) is the only one that has the molds to make new plastic tops.

I'm sure that Standard or someone else makes new injectors, but I just collect them and send them to be rebuilt cleaned.

As far as the 1.7s ... prolly have 500 - 1000 of them yellow puppies in the warehouse. Pretty common.

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 16 2008, 02:31 PM) *

If they leak, they toss 'em.

Yeah, that's what's happening. So might as replace them all at once. But are the remanufactured pieces better, as good as, or worse, in terms of useful service life, as new ones would be?

Paul
SLITS
If they don't leak and they meet specs, they should be good for a while. I won't say a long time 'cause they were used to begin with and you can't predict when the crimp between the top and barrel will cease to seal.

Cleaning and calibration runs from $20.00 to $35.00 from those I know of. Now, when you buy them from a reseller they're gonna up the price. I would say the range would be about $40 - $60 (hey, it's their profit).

Au Jus Injection in Mesa, AZ told me about $30.00 each to do them + shipping of course.

GB Remanufacturing in Long Beach had quoted me about $35.00 each

Python Industries (Stanton, CA) wanted about $50 each, but would lower the price if I did 50 at a time.

There is a place in Florida that quoted $20.00 each, but I have to call a friend to get their name.

Bleyseng
BusDepot.com was selling em for $39 each brand new! under the 411 car heading IIRC as I bought 4 for Blairs black 1.7l...made it run sweet so get new Bosch injectors as they are available.
SLITS
Tanks Geoff ... I knew they were out there somewhere.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 16 2008, 05:30 PM) *

BusDepot.com was selling em for $39 each brand new! under the 411 car heading IIRC as I bought 4 for Blairs black 1.7l...made it run sweet so get new Bosch injectors as they are available.

The listing on their web page has 'em @ $75 for new, #0280150114 . huh.gif

Paul
tod914
Is there also a cross reference for 75 2.0 injector ? I
didnt see the porsche number @ busdepot.

Thanks
Pat Garvey
I'll step in here & say that Witchunter does an admirable job too for "refurbishing". As long as the injectors can be cleaned (inside) & matched, you can't lose. Price is more than reasonable. Just recognize that every injector cannot be salvaged after this many years. If you send them four, you'll be lucky to get 3 good ones back. But, they tell it like is.
Pat
Bleyseng
Busdept doesn't sell 914 2.0l injectors that I know of...

the 1.7l ones were on sale for about 6 months...so the sale is off now but $75 ea is still a good deal If you need injectors..

Witchhunter does a nice job but you still need good injectors to then have 4 cleaned non leaking injectors.

I went thru a bag of 14 2.0l ones to get 8 good matched ones.

if you are running 35 yr old injectors with 200k miles on em get New ones. chair.gif
tod914
Bus Depot had quite a few listed for vanagons. 2.1 liter? I pressume they
are completely different than the 2.0 ones.

Pat, did you ever get your injectors painted? And what did you use if you did.
Thanks! Still looking through my reciepts for the gasket manufacture. No luck so far.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 16 2008, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 16 2008, 02:31 PM) *

If they leak, they toss 'em.

Yeah, that's what's happening. So might as replace them all at once. But are the remanufactured pieces better, as good as, or worse, in terms of useful service life, as new ones would be?

Paul

AFIK, there are no "remanufactured" injectors. As someone said earlier, they clean 'em and check the electrical function and spray pattern. They don't take 'em apart and rebuild 'em. No parts, and they're permanently assembled. In the past I've yielded to the financial temptation of "rebuilt" injectors, making the eventual replacement with new ones even more expensive. The Cap'n
1970 Neun vierzehn
Three of the four injectors are original to the car, the fourth one I replaced around '76-'77 when the hose split. As mentioned, back then, there were no replacements but new pieces from the dealer for $40. I carefully cut the old crimped hose off, put a short length of fuel hose on, and added a couple of hose clamps. I carried the extra old injector all these years as a spare and never used it.
I've always driven this car, not necessarily daily, but enough to keep it exercised, i.e. to work on ocassion, club events, errands, w/e backroads. Never an injector problem for almost 30 years.
Now the car (and engine) sit unused for 18 months for its "resurrection" and upon initial "startup", fuel weeps out of the injectors by the electrical connection point. We're not talking hose failure here, but the actual body of the injector. So today I ordered 4 "used/rebuilt/cleaned/remanufactured/whatever" injectors that come with a 2 year warranty. We'll see how this goes.
I'm guessing that 1.5 years of inactivity for these 38 year old fuel injectors was the primary cause of failure.

Paul
914Sixer
Do a search on ebay seach right now for type 4 fuel injectors, a parts store is selling them for $39 each for NEW ONES. Call the number 205-759-4249 in the morning and see if he still has them (3 available). He will sell them to you if there are no bidders. I scored a set of 73-74 2.0 L injectors from him this morning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.