Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Throttle Cable Woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
OK:
I've replaced all of the pushrod valve tubes and seals, replaced the oil cooler seal, replaced the oil temp sensor, re-sealed the taco plate, replaced the transmission mounts and re-assembled the engine to the car.

Everything works perfectly, running at idle no leaks! Great!!! smile.gif But when I re-attach the throttle cable, it is so stiff the throttle does not return to idle. sad.gif No throttle cable problems for the previous 12 monthhs, and all of a sudden - BAM! I have re-routed the cable now so it is a straight shot out of the firewall and no difference - still very stiff sad.gif .

#1 What have I done??? headbang.gif
#2 How do I fix it?

My thanks to all...
r_towle
when you remove it it tends to get alot of slack up near the gas pedal.

Go up there, take off the cover on the tunnel and use a flashlight the see if you hooked it around something.

Rich
ericread
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 16 2008, 05:11 PM) *

when you remove it it tends to get alot of slack up near the gas pedal.

Go up there, take off the cover on the tunnel and use a flashlight the see if you hooked it around something.

Rich

I removed the center console and took a look into the tunnel. Nothing that I can see so far. It appears that the accel cable exits the center tunnel (through the firewall) in a hard cable pipe. Does this sound right to you? It almost seems that the cable is binding in that hard pipe??? Does this hard cable guide run through the tunnel, or is it only at the firewall?

Any information is helpful. My thanks
SLITS
You may have kinked the cable somehow. I had the same thing .... I replaced the cable with a known good one.
euro911
We had to straighten out that tube on a car a month or so ago ... the cable end wouldn't pass the bend just as it goes through the firewall. If it is bent badly, bend it back slow and easy ... with an approiate-sized Phillips driver smile.gif
Cevan
Here is a picture of the hard tube exiting the firewall.

Click to view attachment

I just replaced mine this winter. There should be a metal end on the housing where it goes over the hard tube (marked in the picture below. Check to see that it's completely pushed onto the hard tube. I had to keep pressure on the housing, pushing it towards the firewall as I made the connection at the motor. With the cable disconnected at both ends, you should be able to push and pull the cable within the housing.

Click to view attachment
anderssj
I agree with Rich . . .

I had a similar problem years ago after I replaced either the throttle or clutch cable (sorry, I getting old).

Turns out the new cable got wrapped around the old cable inside the tunnel. I used a flashlight and a dental mirror to see where it was hung up; once found the fix was simple.

I used to fly with a guy that had a 914 with the same problem (fixed his in the parking lot), so I know that this has happend at least twice . . .
Kirmizi
I'll throw this out there since it hasn't been mentioned yet, have you verified the throttle cable slides freely within it's sheath when disconnected? You may also want to check the grounding strap connected between the tranny and body. Mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Apr 17 2008, 11:20 AM) *

I'll throw this out there since it hasn't been mentioned yet, have you verified the throttle cable slides freely within it's sheath when disconnected? You may also want to check the grounding strap connected between the tranny and body.

agree.gif with the tranny ground strap disconnected or corroded, you can literally weld the throttle cable to the body of the car as the motor uses it to ground against the chassis ...

welder.gif Andy
ericread
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Apr 17 2008, 12:20 PM) *

I'll throw this out there since it hasn't been mentioned yet, have you verified the throttle cable slides freely within it's sheath when disconnected? You may also want to check the grounding strap connected between the tranny and body. Mike

It looks like you're right. The cable sheath between the firewall and the air intake seems pretty jammed. sad.gif It has no outward appearance of problems, but I am unable to run a wire line through it. headbang.gif It looks to me like there was a white inner liner to the sheath which has come loose/been damaged and some of it may be blocking the path inside of it.

Any ideas? idea.gif It doesn't look like these are easy to find a replacement for.

Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(ericread @ Apr 17 2008, 12:07 PM) *

Any ideas? idea.gif It doesn't look like these are easy to find a replacement for.

new throttle cables can be had from the usual parts pushers ...

if it's broken off, getting the white sheeting out of the tube can be a pain in the butt. you need to make sure the tube is completely clean and free of debris before installing a new cable ...

you can also upgrade to a 914-6 cable, which is thicker and does not use the white sheeting at all ...
shades.gif Andy
spunone
Erick I have a brand new Terry cable at home its your for$ 20.00 if ya need it .
r_towle
QUOTE(ericread @ Apr 17 2008, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Apr 17 2008, 12:20 PM) *

It looks like you're right. The cable sheath between the firewall and the air intake seems pretty jammed. sad.gif It has no outward appearance of problems, but I am unable to run a wire line through it. headbang.gif It looks to me like there was a white inner liner to the sheath which has come loose/been damaged and some of it may be blocking the path inside of it.

Thanks

If you can get the old metal cable out of the bolen casing, you are done with that cable. The cable should not be able to come out of the black casing.

Get a new one...

Rich
ericread
IT'S A MIRACLE!!! piratenanner.gif

I picked up a new throttle cable from FAT in Anaheim (seems they have little good to say about Jake Raby stirthepot.gif ).

The next big issue was to get the old cable out headbang.gif . After trying everythine else, I finally attached BFWrench to the cable end in the engine compartment and PULLED! And PULLED! And PULLED some more. Nothing. After carefully evaluating my options, I PULLED even harder, and the cable finally pulled loose. It was heavily kinked inside the tunnel, and since I had lost the cable into the tunnel (and could not find a way to get it to pull the opposite way) pulling was my only real option.

Anyway, after sevveral hours of pulling the nold cable out, I spent 30 minutes attaching the new cable and went for a test drive. aktion035.gif

Thanks erverybody pray.gif , and just in time to head to the Long Beach Gran Prix in the morning. Pictures will follow tomorrow evening.

And thanks again!!! bye1.gif
LvSteveH
QUOTE(ericread @ Apr 17 2008, 11:35 PM) *

I picked up a new throttle cable from FAT in Anaheim (seems they have little good to say about Jake Raby stirthepot.gif ).

That's too bad, I don't recall Jake ever bashing them. Not too long ago the type 4 was the preferred motor for high hp off road race buggies. Fat was pretty much the go-to shop for the off road crowd. From what I've heard Fat has pretty much moved on to other platforms and isn't really into further developing the type 4 at this point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.