Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Wiring Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Attached is a pic of the wiring of the starter. I forget where the red wire goes. I think it attaches back to the starter at the same location that the wire that comes directly from the battery - sound right?
SLITS
If it goes back into the harness to the engine it is for the alternator but the wire doesn't look big enough to be the exciter for the alternator. If it is it would hook the the same location as your battery cable to the starter.
vesnyder
Wow - that quality was terrible? Let me try again ...
Rand
Ouch. There's been some cobbling there. Will dig up some pics later.
euro911
My 75 came from the P/O with an aftermarket relay, but it still has a stock starter. I recently picked up another relay for my wife's car (along with a 'new' starter to be installed this w/e) ... I'll look when I get home to see whats connected to what.
ClayPerrine
The red wire hooks to the big, heavy post the battery cable hooks to.

But with that gear drive starter, you don't need the hot start relay kit. The reason for that kit was to help increase the voltage to the solenoid when the car was hot. The gear drive starters don't need anywhere near the voltage that the stock Bosch starter needed for solenoid engagement.

I would dump the relay and try it without it for a while.
Cap'n Krusty
Look at the ring on the end of the wire. Look at the possible connections. You see the size and distance of the only logical place? Put the wire there ................ The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.