Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early Oilbath aircleaner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
Suggestions please, for cleaning the air filter for an early 914 that sat for years with oil in it.
The upper surfaces are about as close to perfect as one can get, with some minor hose "rash", which is easily fixed. Script is perfect & the entire assembly will polish up nicely.

Problem is, this was sitting in old oil for 20 years! It's really gunked up (the filter). Any ideas? 2 week soak in Simple Green, etc?
Pat
JeffBowlsby
Did you receive my recent email Pat? Coincidently it was about the air cleaner.
tracks914
First - Castrol Super Clean is the best degreaser you can get off the shelf.
Second - clean it up nice and put it on the shelf.
Third - find yourself a '73 1.7 air cleaner with a paper filter element and install it on your car and never worry about the gunk again.
Fourth - if you wan t it to look original see this thread.
Air Filter Conversion
orange914
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Apr 16 2008, 08:45 PM) *

Third - find yourself a '73 1.7 air cleaner with a paper filter element and install it on your car and never worry about the gunk again.
Air Filter Conversion

it may sound funny or counterintuitive but i've loosened some pretty stuborn and aged dirt/oil/grease by soaking it with w/d for 24hrs. +. let it sit and pressure wash it off. it also leaves the origanal paint looking like new (oils soak in i guess). some may cringe but i've done this with great sucess under hood on EVERYthing, paint, rubber, plastic ect... AND it doesn't have the drawbacks that some detailing products have such as too harsh or causing dirt to cling later (pressure or steam clean off of course).

mike
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 16 2008, 09:41 PM) *

Did you receive my recent email Pat? Coincidently it was about the air cleaner.

Jeff,

Just checked - got it. Benn so busy with other things & hate AOL so much that I haven't checked in.

Yeah send me the pdf & thanks!

I'll post something new about the "thingy" in the other forum.

Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Apr 16 2008, 09:45 PM) *

Air Filter Conversion

Thanks!

I'll try #1 first.

Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.