Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Does the Light in My Gauge Mean?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silver six
In the far left temp/fuel guage in my six there are three idiot lights (and a blank yellow non-operational light). One light is for oil pressure, one light is for generator/alternator function and the third light I can't figure out. It has a horizontal line crossed by a slash. The owners manual is of no help. What is this thing?

Douglas
Porsche Rescue
Left to right, green-oil pressure;red-hand brake (symbol you describe is supposed to look like brake handle);white-non functional (used for Sportomatic oil temp);red-generator. Source: 914 Restorer's Guide, B. Johnson (and my car #637).
silver six
Thank you so much, Jim.

Douglas
Brad Roberts
Doug,

your car doesnt have a sportamatic ?? I thought every car with the dashlight had a sportamatic tranny.

Being a smartass.

B
JWest
I thought that was the ejection seat light (usually standard on the late '76s when the factory was just trying to get rid of parts)! mueba.gif
Bleyseng
Yeah, like on my car where they ran out of rear alignment shims so they used some metal wedges.......lame.
Geoff
Aaron Cox
yep....the sportomatic oil temp. hey you guys, is the sportomatic the equivalent as an autostick like used in a beetle? driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(acox914 @ Mar 21 2003, 03:44 PM)
hey you guys, is the sportomatic the equivalent as an autostick like used in a beetle?

i "think" sport-o-matic was a real automatic transmission.
the one in the beetle was called "half-automatic".
i sure liked that one :-) my very first bug had one ...
i beat EVERY 911 on a red light.
well, for about 20 yards, then they usually catched up :-)
Aaron Cox
i thought the Sport o matic and the autostick were clutchless manual transmissions (as in move the gear shift lever into the desired gear and push the gas) anyone care to elaborate? mueba.gif
ejm
The autostick was a 3 speed manual gearbox that had a regular dry clutch that was activated by a vacuum servo which was controlled by a set of contacts in the gear shift lever. The torque convertor allowed the vehicle to stop in gear without having to touch the shift lever to disengage the clutch. You could start off in any gear but acceleration was better if you started in low and shifted up.
AFAIK the Sporto was the same setup.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ejm @ Mar 21 2003, 07:39 PM)
AFAIK the Sporto was the same setup.

interesting. if it was the same concept, i sure would like to drive one.
i loved the half-automatic in the beetle ...

0 - 80 km/h (~50 mph) in first gear smile.gif

i had the (electrical) contacts moved to a button on top of
the lever. that way you could press the button to disengage
the clutch. the original setup was a bit flawed for people
like me who keep their right hand on the shifter while
driving. it would frequently disengage the clutch if you
just moved the lever a bit. so, i rerouted it to a button on top.

lot's of fun ... driving.gif
ejm
I know the Beetle system pretty well so I did some research on the Sporto
It is the same system except its a 4 speed mueba.gif

All of the system components are shown in PET including the control valve, ATF and vacuum reservoirs
and shift linkage for /4 and /6 versions.

What's not shown is the ATF pump for a /4 setup. The Beetle used a dual pump, somewhat like a 911 oil pump. On the Sporto /6 the pump was driven off the end of a camshaft. The /4 would have had to use the Beetle type pump but clearance with the fan housing may have been a problem. Seems I had read somewhere that a /4 Sporto was never produced.

almost on topic content: the autostick beetle had a warning light too rolleyes.gif
Dave_Darling
The -4 sporto was never produced, but I have heard reports that there were one or two prototypes running around in Germany at one point. I'm not sure how they would have done the oil pump, though.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.