Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which set of webers/intakes and linkage do I keep?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
This big bore motor came with the Italian webers with short intake manifolds that are on it...I presume 40s. It has some sort of "scissor" linkage (lack of the proper name) that looks real simple and seems to work very well. I like it for it's simplicity. The large air cleaners need re-chromed or replaced.

I also have another set of Italian 40's with crossbar linkage, etc that I picked-up last year...never even had a chance to put them on a motor yet. These came with tall intake manifolds. Nice air cleaners, much smaller in size.

Thinking about selling one of the sets at the Rustmeet.

My thought is too keep the webers that are on it since they are tuned to the motor. Which intakes whould I keep. If I go with the talls, then I probably will have to switch to the crossbar linkage and smaller air cleaners.

What do think?
r_towle
To give you a good answer it would relate to what type of camshaft is in there, what the purpose of the motor is, and headflow.

Or, try both intakes, see which one you like.
Talls are great for low end torque, shorts are good for high revving race motors...

Again, depends on the cam and heads.
If all else fails, sell the tall ones, they are easy to get.
the short ones are not so easy to get.

For the linkage...the bell crank setup you have works great if all the bushings are in good shape.
the chrome air cleaner covers cam be purchase at any VW shop in southern CA...dont bother replating them.

Rich
computers4kids
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 17 2008, 09:33 AM) *

To give you a good answer it would relate to what type of camshaft is in there, what the purpose of the motor is, and headflow.

Or, try both intakes, see which one you like.
Talls are great for low end torque, shorts are good for high revving race motors...

Again, depends on the cam and heads.
If all else fails, sell the tall ones, they are easy to get.
the short ones are not so easy to get.

For the linkage...the bell crank setup you have works great if all the bushings are in good shape.
the chrome air cleaner covers cam be purchase at any VW shop in southern CA...dont bother replating them.

Rich

Rich...thanks for the info.
I don't know alot about the cam and heads, other than they are early heads. I don't plan on racing the car, I just like to drive them (especially on windy back roads).

It will be a while before I can actually drive the car this motor is going into...hopefully, I will be able to run it at least in the garage before the rustmeet.

Your advice to hold onto the short ones is helpful.

Stupid Question: The large air cleaners are about 9 inches long...the short ones around 6 (typical size). Would the size make any difference in performance...air flow? I'm assuming it's just personal preference in looks.
Thanks
r_towle
looks....I would keep the ones you can get parts for,...lol
Like new air cleaner covers...

Rich
SLITS
The linkage you show is from a Bus .... Type 2 ...
computers4kids
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 18 2008, 09:52 AM) *

The linkage you show is from a Bus .... Type 2 ...

Ron, a bus "really?...obviously adapted? I really like the way it seems to work. What are your thoughts on this kind of linkage compared to the crossbar?
SLITS
It worked for a long time. If the angularity isn't to great it should work fine for you. Worst part is making sure it's smooth and free so the return spring can function without being to heavy.
rhodyguy
the larger filters might interfear with the droplinks on the linkage.

k
computers4kids
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 19 2008, 05:51 AM) *

the larger filters might interfear with the droplinks on the linkage.

k

If I go with the crossbar, I'll need to go with the smaller cleaners since these small cleaners have part of the support for the crossbar actually built into the side of the air clearner.

I know it seems like I'm over thinking this one, since I have a nice set of crossbar linkage and cleaners. It's just the linkage setup on this motor seems to work very well, smooth, easy movement with no binding. It also has threaded stock on the rods for adjustment.

Basically, it comes down to whether I want the short or tall intakes. Short intakes, then I keep the scissor linkage. Tall...scissor won't work, thus the crossbar, and air cleaner change.

I think I"ll go see what CBperformance has for new "large" cleaners...they're only about 5 miles away.
rhodyguy
i've been that route with cb. i had a big set of filters like yours. iirc, i had to buy the bases with the mount for the cross bar in what was termed as the "bune buggy" style. which were both longer and wider to the inboard demension. the span for the cross bar was shortened. i had to trim the bar and redrill the receiving holes for the pivot balls. then the - of the steel insert in the bar was wrong. what a hassle. TRAID mon!!! it's right the first time out of the box. you get a cable holding bracket too. all powder coated and nice stout heim joints.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.