Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NLA 70-73 Gas cap seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
As you well know the early gas cap seals are no longer available. I am working on a South American source for the seal. What would be a fair price for them? $10? Keep in mind the cost will be for a limited run of about 100.

With that said, does anyone have a good one for a pattern? I had 5 caps and every one of the seals went to pieces up on removal.
horizontally-opposed
I'll send a check for $10 as soon as you've got it ready...

I doan wanna tell you what I paid Porsche for the other one!

pete
Rusty
Ten dollars seems fair. I'd be in for three or four.
sportlicherFahrer
Just a heads up. If you go to your local aircooled VW shop. you can get a NEW cap for about 6 bucks. The same cap was used on the older bugs(67 or 66 and down). If you want your OE cap, just get one of those caps and remove the new seal.
914Sixer
I did not order a cap but I ordered the seal that was supposed to fit 61-67 cap and it was no where close. It had a 211 (Bus part) number on it. It was 70 mm diameter but the inside was off. 914 cap seal is approximately 64+- mm inside and 70 +-mm outside. Width is 6 mm. Thickness 3mm +-. $6 maybe the way to go.
JeffBowlsby
I would be in for a couple gaskets Mark.

914Sixer
I just got a reply from the guy. They want $10 each for making them up. I think I will look around.
markb
I would be in for at least 4.
914Sixer
I just checked evwparts.com for 61-67 gas cap (343.201.551). Looks just like stock cap with out VW Logo. $9.95.
blitZ
You can get the cork gasket material at your FLAPS and make one. I made one for my late model and it works fine.
tod914
Mark, I pm'd you a couple of USA vendors. Sorry I couldn't find the guy I used for mine. Not sure if you need a special material for that as well.
JMC was the manufacture but not much is comming up with a web search. They should be able to make them for much less than 10. But my stuff was made 4 or so years ago. Maybe costs went up quite abit.
If u want me to make a few calls for you let me know and I'll see what kind of pricing they come up with.
9146FAN
If you dont mind the audi logo, you could get a new seal and a new cap through the Samba

They're the same as the VW Thing.
eg914
If you have these made I would buy one, maybe a couple. Mine is shot.
GWN7
The problem with the early gas cap seals are they are made with asbestos. Wonderfull stuff 30 years ago. No one will even attempt to make them now. The new replacement material that is used in place of asbestos is too hard to fit in the gas cap grove. It breaks (green material) when you try to fit it in the space.

I was working on these just before I fell thru the ceiling.

Pic of old gasket (redish), replacement for asbestos (green) and a proper replacement gasket that is not effected by oil/gas in Black and a stack of the replacement Black gaskets.

$4.00 per + $1.50 shipping
914Sixer
Lets hear it for Bruce. pray.gif Problem is solved. Order your reasonably priced gaskets from him.
Many thanks!!!!!!!
smilie_pokal.gif
horizontally-opposed
PM sent...

pete
McMark
Yeah, I'll take two Bruce! Is you arm better? biggrin.gif
GWN7
sort of....sex life is still the pits wink.gif
McMark
Good to know... unsure.gif

av-943.gif
eg914
PM sent,

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.