Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Selling a car overseas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ray Warren
I have an offer on my car from a guy in France.
I told him he would be responsible for all shipping arrangments and costs.
I will not release the car until the money is in my hands.
And I will not give out any bank info.
It's probably a scam but i would loke to respond to him just in case it isn't.
How do I safely get paid?
ejm
cash

stateofidleness
paypal would be the safest

cash could be iffy... paypal is real, cash could be fake wink.gif
VaccaRabite
Use a TRUSTED escrow service.

Zach
sww914
Talk to your bank, ask about a wire transfer. Ask what info you need to give the buyer and ask if there is any way that he can access your account with that info other than to make one transfer into your account. After the transfer have your bank verify that the money is in your account to stay, then ship the car. In other countries they do wire transfers all the time but we're such a big country we don't often do international transactions. I don't trust paypal all that much, they kept an $850.00 payment to me for a month once. It was a huge hassle to get my money.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Ray Warren @ Apr 17 2008, 05:58 PM) *

International wire transfer.

For this you are going to have to give him some banking information but if you feel vulnerable set up an account with a minimum balance and give him that account number. Talk to your bank and ask them how to do this safely.

This is probably not a scam. The Euro to dollar exchange rate is .627:1 so your potential buyer is paying you less than 2/3 of your asking price as long as he uses Euro to pay.

Point of fact. We will see more classic cars leave the country until we recover economically in the US...
Ray Warren
Thanks guys.
I think I will contact my bank and see what they have to say if the potential buyer agrees to my terms.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 17 2008, 09:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Ray Warren @ Apr 17 2008, 05:58 PM) *

For this you are going to have to give him some banking information but if you feel vulnerable set up an account with a minimum balance and give him that account number. Talk to your bank and ask them how to do this safely.

This is probably not a scam. The Euro to dollar exchange rate is .627:1 so your potential buyer is paying you less than 2/3 of your asking price as long as he uses Euro to pay.

Point of fact. We will see more classic cars leave the country until we recover economically in the US...

agree.gif

This is the best and I have done it.
I sold a bus to a guy in California and he shipped it direct from my house to Japan.

Set up an account and have him wire a good deposit, then I waited 2 weeks (even though a wire is instant) then he wired me the balance. Both times I removed the cash (left small balance) from that account ASAP.

Like Cone said, you need to talk to the bank, because there's a transfer number you have to put before (with) your account number.

Certified checks take 30days+ to clear, plus then it's still not a for sure.
Wire transfer is instant.

Get paperwork on everything.

BTW He shipped with "Land and Sea", they are one of the biggest Canadian shippers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 17 2008, 05:48 PM) *

agree.gif
kconway
Go through an escrow service.
drive-ability
When I bought my car I had never seen it in person, I'm in Ca. and it was in Minnesota. I used escrow.com which was a local business.
Everything work out well..
Porsche Rescue
I have sold 3 cars to Europeans. Used wire transfer each time. No problem. My bank told me once the money is in my account it is mine. Not true with Paypal. I sold an item (not a car, only $130) and, after funds were in my Paypal account and transferred to my checking account, Paypal notified me that there was a problem. They had my credit card # and could have charged the funds back. I tried to delete my credit card with them but could not while the matter was pending. In the end it came out OK, but don't believe that Paypal is foolproof. Wire transfer is the best there is.
boxstr
I have sold many many cars overseas. Each time I have used a wire transfer. Never had a problem.
You give the buyer your routing number, it is on the bottom of your checks, and your account number that you want the funds to go into.
Name an daddress of your bank, a contact name and number. DONE
Do not worry you account will not be comprimised.
It is the only, only way to do business long distance.
Forget PAYPAL or escrows.
CCL
Joe Bob
I've sent a few cars to Germany....I've always used a wire transfer.
r_towle
Ditto on wire transfers, its the fastest and safest way to go.

We have a special account for this, its not our main account.
The special account is in no way tied to my main accounts.
If I want to move the money, I have to go to the bank to do it, or write a check. They are in no way tied together for online banking or transfers.

Rich
burton73
I get Wire Transfers from all over the world ever week. It is the way I get paid for my goods. There is no way for a person to pull money from your account because they have your account number. As the guys have said if you are worried, just set up a new account. I use Citibank and do it online from any place in the world.

The international wire is not instant. Different countries and banks in Europe will take different times. Sweden, Holland, England, Germany. Different banks and your banks ties to them have a lot to do with it. It still should be in to you bank in 3- 5 days but I have had one drag a week. This is after I have fax confirmations. Sometimes it is the next day. Do not get worried.

If you have a good car and a good selling price take the money.

Bob
BKLA
QUOTE(boxstr @ Apr 17 2008, 09:28 PM) *

I have sold many many cars overseas. Each time I have used a wire transfer. Never had a problem.
You give the buyer your routing number, it is on the bottom of your checks, and your account number that you want the funds to go into.
Name an daddress of your bank, a contact name and number. DONE
Do not worry you account will not be comprimised.
It is the only, only way to do business long distance.
Forget PAYPAL or escrows.
CCL

Wow - THree cars that I know in the last month to Europe. Mine goes next week to England - as soon as the money is confirmed and in my account!!!. According to the bank it takes anywhere from 24 to 48 hours to "clear".

Wire transfer is the only way to go.
johannes

IPB Image

Safest and cheapest way for large amounts of money

You must provide IBAN "International Bank Account Number"
Every International Bank Account Number contains all the information needed to transfer a payment with no need for any manual intervention, and thanks to its check sum validation, IBAN practically eliminates erroneous payments

2 or 3 days may be needed, but it's safe. I use it for private transfer and used it in business to transfer hundred thousands of $.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.