Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil and Pressure Sender Wiring - HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I am reassembling my motor after a Winter rebuild and carb conversion and I am confused on how to wire my coil and pressure sender. I have a wire that comes from the cockpit that I need to connect to the pressure sender and I have a wire that is connected to the coil from the dizzie - but I know I am missing teh other wire for the sender and have a feeling there is wiring I am missing from the coil. I tried using the Haynes Manual and I was getting a head ache trying to figure that out - HELP!

Thanks in advance!
ejm
The engine harness that plugs into the relay board has the power wire for the coil, the signal wire for the tach and the wire for the oil pressure light. It also has the wire for the starter solenoid and the backup lights. Do you have this harness?

McMark
Black wire - Coil Power (coil +)
Black/Purple wire - Tach signal (coil -)

DON'T SWITCH THESE!!!

Green - Oil pressure switch
vesnyder
I need to double check. When you say the "relay board" are you referring to the plug in board on teh front left engine compartmento or the board on teh fron right?

I know I have the reverse light wires, but need to check what else is hanging off of that?
dinomium
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 17 2008, 09:28 PM) *

Black wire - Coil Power (coil +)
Black/Purple wire - Tach signal (coil -)

DON'T SWITCH THESE!!!

Green - Oil pressure switch

green with red is oil as well, for indicator light and gauge on the two pole sender unit.
vesnyder
I think I found them - not sure which is the Black.Purple vs Black? How about the one that comes off the distributor>
SLITS
The bright green wire from the dizzy points/condenser goes to the negative side of the coil (Terminal 1).

The remainder of the wires (engine harness) come from, as stated, the 12 pin connector at the rear of the relay plate. The main body harness is a 14 pin connector that plugs into the front of the relay plate.

The difference between the two black wires (one is black, the other is black / red) is the SIZE of the wire. The larger goes to terminal 15 (+) of the coil. The smaller of the two goes to terminal 1 (-) of the coil.

So the coil has 3 wires going to it ... green from the dizzy, small black from the engine harness ... both to terminal 1 on the coil. The third wire is the larger of the black wires and goes to terminal 15.

The backup lights and starter harness also come from the 12 pin connector. Yellow wire to spade terminal. Large RED from battery and smaller red from alternator harness to the top post on the solenoid. The backup lights are two Grey/Brown wires.

There is a split in the engine harness that should be self evident where the wires go. One section is the large black, small black, green/red (oil) and white (which connects to the red wire from the AAR).

The second section will have the backup light wires and yellow starter wire. Large red comes from battery and small red comes from alternator harness ... they all pass thru the engine tin rear on the drivers' side of the engine.

I don't think I've forgotten anything.
spunone
Heh Fellas I have a black & red wire and a black & purple wire for the coil you know + & _
SLITS
Factory'71, '72 and'73 color wiring charts show black/red for both .. guess abuergine purple wasn't duplicable ... I go by size .. smaller diameter to (-), larger diameter to (+).

It's ok Paul .... just call me asshole. You know how much it hurts my feelings.
spunone
Yeah so Whats the Factory no anyways but mine is sheeplove.gif blk & purple for the tack sig
vesnyder
Slits - Thanks for the detailed explanation. I am ready to go crank my car over for the first time since my rebuild - wish me luck!
vesnyder
Well - Got it hooked up as recommended and heard the fuel pump (new for carbs) but the small black wire to the coil smoked and burnt off all the insulation? Something is not right?

Any suggestions how to debug?
vesnyder
Another thing I should check - the 12 prong plug that goes into the relay board all fell apart and I had to put it back together. It seemed obvious where each wire went but then one of teh welds break and I had to fix, and a green wire that acts as a jumper fell out? Any chance this is boiling that wire?
McMark
Get a voltmeter. Read my response in your duplicate thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.