Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moral question......which one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
This.....

Click to view attachment
East coaster
or this???

Click to view attachment
scotty b
Cayman. I've got 3 914's and none run.
Snafu
You're killing me... smile.gif
Mark Henry
Oh YA! make it easy why don't ya slap.gif

Now I have to go clean my shorts....
smontanaro
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 17 2008, 09:36 PM) *

Cayman. I've got 3 914's and none run.

Yes, but it looks like that 914 runs pretty well...

I don't know. A Cayman would certainly be fun, but I think I'm going to always be an air-cooled Porsche guy.

Skip
Sleepin
Collector or Yuppie....hmm.... biggrin.gif
toon1
Can I have the one you DON"T pick? biggrin.gif

LOVE those Cayman's wub.gif wub.gif It would definitly be my fist car of choice if'n I had the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ biggrin.gif
swl
Immoral answer - both.
East coaster
Cayman isn't mine, I've just been liking the looks of them lately and was curious what folks would choose between a clean 3.6, wevo 915, leather interior 914-6 and a used Cayman??? There's probably not a drastic difference in value, just two very different characters.
scotty b
QUOTE(swl @ Apr 17 2008, 06:59 PM) *

Immoral answer - both.

Gluttonous heathen
scrz914
Take a test drive in each...then decide.
Oh, and give us a report on each experience.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(East coaster @ Apr 17 2008, 08:02 PM) *

There's probably not a drastic difference in value, just two very different characters.

Not right now maybe, but they are headed in opposite directions.

Tough decision, but I lean towards the 914.
beech4rd
The Cayman is a much more civilized ride, will be faster, but will depreciate and quickly. The 914-6 will appreciate in value. The Cayman will also be more expensive to maintain. But from a moral point of view, I suspect that the Cayman is a greener vehicle- it will have a cleaner exhaust and all German cars now have to be designed with recycling of their worn out carcases in mind.
Chris
Zaney
bootyshake.gif But seriously, what make and size are the wheels on the Teener? Those are sharp! Nice ride BTW
jsayre914
I pass the Porsche Dealer Every Day. I never see any 914's on the lot. dry.gif I like to stand out in the crowd myself.
shaggy
a real porsche dosent have water in it...
personally i think porsche has gone down hill relative to quality and value.
after working on both i wouldnt buy anything newer than 98.
dgw
I'd take the 914 in a second.
Joe Bob
Any weenie can buy a Cayman...and when ya go down the street you can see another weenie that had the same idea.

The 914 is unique.....
SGB
What day of the week is it?
boxstr
Go to the CAYMAN forum and ask them what they would do??
CCL
horizontally-opposed
When it came down to nice 914 or nice 911 SC and the 914 or 986, both times after having had both at the same time for a while, the 914 won both times. A little of that was financial, a little of it was a special bond with my 914 in particular, but the big thing applies to your situation: nice 986s, nice 911s, and, in your case, nice Caymans will always be out there. Truly nice 914s are hard to find, and it sure looks like you've got one.

Caymans are even better than you can imagine, but not as a replacement for a 914 or older 911. I'd say keep the 914 and wait until the Cayman depreciates to the point you can have both -- or buy a cheap early 986, which offers about 85 percent ofthe 987's goodness (with better steering!) for a lot less...
sww914
Have you driven any new Porsches? It's a whole different feeling. My feelings on new Porsches are here- http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...+nice+911's
They're great cars, a stock Cayman on DOT race tires is as fast around Willow Springs as my 914 with a high strung 2056 on DOT race tires.
I think that 914's are more fun to drive, but they'll never be as quiet or refined and it's unlikely that you'll ever have great A/C in a 914. It's kind of like comparing an old beetle to a new beetle, totally different.
Gint
914 Especially your 914. All that work and it's beautiful. And unique.
jesiv
I think you should take the Cayman. After all young chicks don't know what I 914 is? And of course "air cooled" has to add to global warming right? biggrin.gif

Of course if you want to eliminate your guilt, I would gladly take the teener off your hands conscience.

Regards,

James
KELTY360
Cayman has a gorgeous line and it's engine is in the right place, but.......it's only got one trunk, the top is permanently attached and it doesn't look nearly as good on jackstands.......keep your moral integrity and your 914.
dw914er
i would say the 914. New porsches are great, but you dont quite get the old car feel in it. The 914 reflects the work you put into it, and can always put a smile to your face. The cayman (or any other new porsche sports car) are fun to drive, but in a different way. The can do alot, and are fast, but they dont quite have the same feel.

I would wait til the cayman depreciates more, so you can have both.

Thats my goal, keep the 914 forever (im sort of obligated though) and then add on to my collection.

But ill put it in my buddies situation. He is into the datsun z, and restored a 74' 260z in high school when i worked on my car. He ended up getting a 350z after high school, and part of the deal was to sell his datsun. Well, he n \ever really found a seller, and was able to keep it. He likes his 350z, but he said there is no way it can replace the fun he has in 260z, and is glad he kept it.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Joe Mama @ Apr 17 2008, 08:15 PM) *

Any weenie can buy a Cayman...and when ya go down the street you can see another weenie that had the same idea.

The 914 is unique.....

agree.gif
Crap, I'm in trouble. I find myself agreeing with Zois. I think I need to go to therapy or something. headbang.gif
Zardozz
What's the point of buying a fun car if you don't have to wrench on it once in a while smile.gif

teener hands down.
roadster fan
If I owned a Cayman I think every time I saw a 914 on the road (rare) I would be envious of the 914 owner.

I will wait till I can afford both (er......all three since I own to 914s).

Jim
buck toenges
QUOTE(shaggy @ Apr 17 2008, 08:04 PM) *

a real porsche dosent have water in it...
personally i think porsche has gone down hill relative to quality and value.
after working on both i wouldnt buy anything newer than 98.

I think thats how the rust got there.
stephenaki
Sooooo....what exactly is the moral dilemna? Of the two I still prefer the looks of the 914 and if it came down to it, I'd take the 914. I hope my car will look as nice as yours one day but it will take a while to get there from here.
championgt1
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Apr 17 2008, 11:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Mama @ Apr 17 2008, 08:15 PM) *

The 914 is unique.....

agree.gif
Crap, I'm in trouble. I find myself agreeing with Zois. I think I need to go to therapy or something. headbang.gif

agree.gif This is exactly what I was thinking. Hell if I wanted a car payment I could go out and get a Cayman. Instead I will stick to the 914 and instead of having a car payment I will settle for spending money on parts, bloody nuckles, and a lot of cussing.

914's gotta love em! biggrin.gif
Sleepin
I always loved this scene in Gone in 60 Seconds:

Roger the Car Salesman: My name's Roger, Sir. May I be of some help?
Memphis: That's funny, my name's Roger... Two Rogers don't make a right.
[laughs]
Memphis: Roger, I have a problem...
Roger the Car Salesman: Yes?
Memphis: I've been in L.A. for three months now. I have money, I have taste. But I'm not on anybody's "A" list, and Saturday night is the loneliest night for the week for me.
Roger the Car Salesman: Well, a Ferrari would certainly change that.
Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...
Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.
Memphis: Precisely. Champagne would fall from the heavens. Doors would open. Velvet ropes would part.

....thats kind of how I feel.... just change some words around like so....

Roger the Car Salesman: My name's Roger, Sir. May I be of some help?
Memphis: That's funny, my name's Roger... Two Rogers don't make a right.
[laughs]
Memphis: Roger, I have a problem...
Roger the Car Salesman: Yes?
Memphis: I've been in L.A. for three months now. I have money, I have taste. But I'm not on anybody's "A" list, and Saturday night is the loneliest night for the week for me.
Roger the Car Salesman: Well, a Porsche would certainly change that.
Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1970's 914...
Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.
Memphis: Precisely. Champagne would fall from the heavens. Doors would open. Velvet ropes would part.

biggrin.gif
Wes V
Didn't anybody notice where in the 914 photo, the jack stands were photoshop'd out?

Wes
Brando
The 914. They're making more Caymans but not any more 914s...
smontanaro
QUOTE(sww914 @ Apr 17 2008, 11:33 PM) *
I think that 914's are more fun to drive, but they'll never be as quiet or refined and it's unlikely that you'll ever have great A/C in a 914.

I don't think you necessarily want "refined". That implies cup holders. That way lies darkness. As for A/C, isn't that why the top comes off?

Skip
kart54
Know what the difference is between a porcupine and a porsche?

The porcupine has the pricks on the outside.

The 914 is NARP so I think it wins hands down.

Everytime I've seen somebody in Southern California driving a Cayman its somebody trying to make up for the lack of endowment in other areas and trying to impress the other guys at his stock brokerage firm.

Go 914

Kart54
MartyYeoman
Own the 914.
Borrow the Cayman.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Apr 18 2008, 01:18 PM) *

Own the 914.
Borrow the Cayman.

Uh, that's how I roll.... happy11.gif

pete
Richard Casto
Wife has already said I could buy a new car (such as a Cayman) just to get the 914 out of the garage. I am keeping the 914 smile.gif

But I would agree that the 914 is unique. Is only going to appreciate in price and respect. Get the 914 and buy a Cayman later once used examples are more affordable.
PRS914-6
From a power to weight ratio, I would think your 914 would knock the socks off a Cayman in a straight line. Pete, you've driven both.......I think if I needed a daily driver I would choose the Cayman but for the occasional fun run...914
Twise
I will dye owning as many Porsches as I am able to:

1987 930 Turbo check

1974 914 6 GT Coversion check

I for sure want a Cayman in a few years when the bugs are worked out, and I for sure want a Pre A 356 and I have always dug the 993 Targa or C4. I would take the Cayman, because I don't have one yet....
scotty
The silver one...hands down!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.