Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: computer guy's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I have a laptop with windows 98, ( using it for my MS)it's about 8 years old.

I am trying to get info off of it into a thumb drive. It does not have a USB driver program.

The Microsoft site has one for W98, second edition, it didn't work with my W98 version.

Who knows where I can download a free/safe (keeping in the 914 vein) driver program?

Thank's, Keith
SirAndy
QUOTE(toon1 @ Apr 17 2008, 06:51 PM) *

Who knows where I can download a free/safe (keeping in the 914 vein) driver program?

it's not that easy. early windows 98 did not support USB ...

you'll have to upgrade your OS to Win98 SE or better for this to work. just go and buy a copy off ebay ...
shades.gif Andy
toon1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 17 2008, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ Apr 17 2008, 06:51 PM) *

it's not that easy. early windows 98 did not support USB ...

you'll have to upgrade your OS to Win98 SE or better for this to work. just go and buy a copy off ebay ...
shades.gif Andy

HOw about using a PCMCIA card to get the info off the laptop?
Todd Enlund
Other possibilities:

You could network it to another computer and transfer your stuff. If you don't have a hub/router, you can use a null-modem cable. If you have high-speed internet, you can upload your stuff to a server and pull it off on another computer.
RJMII
another option is to pull the HDD and stuff it into a tower with a laptop HDD to 3.5 HDD adapter. Since everyone is looking at 'all the options'.

This way you can delete the info off of the HDD using somehting like CCleaner (set to do a 7 times erase over) to get rid of the info for permanent if you are selling the laptop. Otherwise some one with the right software can do a simliar thing, and find info that was 'deleted'.
Porcharu
I'm not sure this will work - but it might. USB for DOS drivers Scroll down to Cypress USB mass storage driver. It's free and it might work for you, of course you will have to actually type some commands or use some very 'sophisticated' commands like copy *.*! I used to be so good with batch language in unix - now I suck at it.
rjames
I had the same problem awhile back when trying to transfer stuff of of my mother in law's old computer. I think I used the drivers on this page:

Windows 98 USB drivers

Choose your version of Windows 98 and then scroll down to the bottom of the page for the download.

If they don't work, try another USB device, sometimes 98 will recognize a different model just fine. If you have an IPOD and know how to put it into disk mode, you may be able to get your computer to recognize it as an external drive without using any USB drivers.

Good luck!
toon1
Thank's guy's I'll let you know what works

Thank's again, Keith
bperry
By far the cheapest is to use Ethernet. It might take quite a while for the
transfer - especially if you are transferring to VISTA.

For less than $20 (usually $10-$15) you can find a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter
or even an IDE to USB adapter.

You can buy them at places like Frys, Microcenter or EBAY.
While not as fast as staying strictly with IDE, the IDE to USB adapter is
really convenient. I use mine quite a bit.

Once the drive removed from the laptop,
it will allow you hook the laptop drive directly to the USB port of another
computer.

Some even have an enclosure for the drive included, while other are simple
a cable.

--- bill
toon1
I tried to connect to the Internet( the easiest way) but it's not fast enough and kept timing out

NOthing seemed to work. I tried the web site porscharu suggested. All the programs loaded fine but I still could not get the laptop to recognize the USB port.

I finally whent with a flash drive and a PCMCIA card.

I was thinking that a PCMCIA card to USB will give me the possibility of using the thumb drive.

Thank's for the help, Keith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.