Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early 911/912 torsion tube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Not 914, but P-car...

I am putting a 901 tranny and IRS into a 356.
I am wondering if the 911/912 torsion tube is the same size, and full width of the chassis, or is it two pieces with a space in the middle for the tranny...

So,
if its one long tube, is it the same length?
Does anyone have a picture of this tube in a 911/912?

I have seen all sorts of ways of doing what I am doing...I just want to see if I can simply cut out the 911 tube and weld it into the 356 chassis, or if its easier to fab up my tube to work...

I have the a parts, just not the 911 tube...

Rich
Eric_Shea
Search Pelican or early911sregistry.org

A guy did a replacement of his tube and it will give you all you need.

One piece BTW
Cap'n Krusty
I've done it. Twice. We sectioned the tube in the car, then installed the center section of the new piece. Had to cut openings in the rear seat and vertical wall to weld it into place. Be sure you clock the insert correctly. DEGREASE EVERYTHING! Grease fires are less than pleasant. You're gonna have to move the upper shock mounts, too. The Cap'n
r_towle
I have the tube out.
I am planning to use the stock tube after I looked around.
I am removing the tranny mounts and welding on IRS tabs for the trailing banana arms...

After measuring and looking around it looks like I can cut a slight divot in the tube facing the rear and weld that in backwards.
Then do basically the same thing to the tranny rear cover, cut an oval out, flip it over and weld it back in.
Emory did this on a few cars, its looks like a decent way to do this.
Dont need the speedo, nor its internals, so that results in enough room to do this modification ....

So, now I can put the tube back in and finally get this thing on a decent rotisierre...that is the plan...

Rich
charliew
This is on the back burner for me on a dune buggy and a 356 kit. Are you going to have the shift shaft under the tube? I was thinking it would be nice to have it through the center of the tube with a torsion bar anchor on each side and short torsion bars. Or go to coil overs without the torsion bars. Is this not a good approach? I've also got some 911 aluminium arms to use with drums and calipers.
Is mounting the tranny high above the tube not a good idea? It would be an easy way to lower the car it seems.
Just thinking.
Charliew
rick 918-S
Which car are you doing this to?

Very assimilate.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
r_towle
I promise tommorow to finally post a few pics...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.