Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Insulation Melted Off Coil Wire - HELP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Putting my car back together after an engine rebuild and carb conversion and after hooking up the wires to the coil and connecting the battery the small black wire melted all the insulation off? I immediately disconnected the battery but was curious what I should try next? Need to check all wiring and clean up some suff but any obvious culprits?
messix
the wire harness at the relay block is off by on plug [i know this cause i've done it] it's the twelve pin plug i think the one toward the rear of the car. look at it very closly and get the plug put on right.

ps you'll have to splice in a new wire.
Cap'n Krusty
If you put the point wire on the (+) side of the coil, along with the (+) wire, it'ss fry 'em both. Seen it many times ................. The Cap'n
messix
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 18 2008, 02:15 PM) *

If you put the point wire on the (+) side of the coil, along with the (+) wire, it'ss fry 'em both. Seen it many times ................. The Cap'n

yeah that'll do it too!
vesnyder
So If I understand, the information I received below is incorrect? The green from the dizzy goes to (-)? Is everything else correct?

The difference between the two black wires (one is black, the other is black / red) is the SIZE of the wire. The larger goes to terminal 15 (+) of the coil. The smaller of the two goes to terminal 1 (-) of the coil.

So the coil has 3 wires going to it ... green from the dizzy, small black from the engine harness ... both to terminal 1 on the coil. The third wire is the larger of the black wires and goes to terminal 15.

The backup lights and starter harness also come from the 12 pin connector. Yellow wire to spade terminal. Large RED from battery and smaller red from alternator harness to the top post on the solenoid. The backup lights are two Grey/Brown wires.
McMark
One is black, one is black with a purple tracer.

Get a volt meter, unplug both black wires, turn on the key, check for power on both wires. The one with power goes to +, the one without goes to -. The green wire from the distributor goes to -.

IIRC, both wires are the same size.
jcd914
Hope this helps some:

From 1974 Wiring diagram:
Wires at 12 pin connector (T12) for the fuse/relay panel to engine harness
T12/1 1.0mm Green/red wire to Oil pressure switch
T12/4 1.0mm Gray/brown wire to Back-up light switch
T12/5 0.5mm Black/purple wire to T1 on Coil
T12/6 4.0mm Yellow wire to T50 on Starter
T12/7 1.5mm Black wire to T15 on Coil
T12/10 1.5mm Green wire to T12/11
T12/12 0.5mm White wire to Aux Air valve

From 1973 Wiring diagram:
Wires at 12 pin connector (engine to fuse/relay panel)
T12/1 Green/red wire to Oil pressure switch
T12/5 Black/purple wire to T1 on Coil
T12/6 Yellow wire to T50 on Starter
T12/7 Black/red wire to T15 on Coil
T12/12 white wire to Aux Air valve

Good Luck
Jim

JeffBowlsby
Vance, here is the 73-76 Ignition harness diagram from my harness website. All the engine bay harness diagrams are there ready for download 24/7:

BTW the coil will have both black/red stripe (big wire) and black/purple stripe (skinny) wires

vesnyder
Messix - You were right. Checked plug and was off one. Moved it over and it was OK!

Thanks!
messix
QUOTE(vesnyder @ Apr 20 2008, 07:24 PM) *

Messix - You were right. Checked plug and was off one. Moved it over and it was OK!

Thanks!

yer wecome biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.