Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spray-on truck bed liner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JC 914
A friend of mine owns a spray-on truck bed liner business, and I wondered if this has been used for the 914 rear trunk???

beer3.gif
messix
it's done all the time on off road rigs like jeeps. it makes a really good sound deadener. just make sure all rust is gone then epoxy sealed.
PeeGreen 914
I am having my floor pans done with it. I took out all the tar and had them painted. The amount of weight you add is really negated by the support it will give. Plus, no rust will get in there.
LvSteveH
Meticulous prep would be the key to it holding up long term. The tar matting on the floors can be difficult to remove, can you imagine what it would be like to remove bed liner?

I would say it's fine on a driver, but I don't think I would do it on a really nice car or high end restoration.
PeeGreen 914
I agree with that. My car is a race car and I am doing the minimum I can.
kconway
But why??? My DAPO did this instead of addressing the real problem of leaks around the taillights. Sure as shit it's a bitch to get it off if you change your mind later. headbang.gif
iamchappy
I just used it on my Fiberglass Rockers.
PeeGreen 914
Yeah.. I don't know why you would want to do the trunks.. Floor pans yes, but why trunks?
Brando
Do the firewall on both side...
charliew
I don't think you realize how much weight the real bed liners add to a vehicle. I have used the duplicolor and the other non two part liners from time to time and they are nothing like the real two part liners. But they are all heavy. I don't think the cheaper liners are water proof enough to bother with. The only thing is they would cover up shoddy metal repair or rust pitted metal pretty well.
On a front mounted radiator the good stuff might protect the front trunk area from the elements. Gator Guard has a white that is tintable to sort of match a color of the vehicle, it's pretty good stuff. You need a undercoat shutz gun to apply it, it goes on lumpy and won't work well with a roller or brush.
I used Gator Guard on a dune buggy pan bottom over Por 15 and it seems to be ok but only time will tell for sure. It's hard for me to get anything to stick well to por 15.

Charliew
swood
Is this what you mean?? w00t.gif w00t.gif

I saw this earlier today at one of my jobsites...wacky.

Click to view attachment
swood
chair.gif Click to view attachment
Wilhelm
I'm thinkin of using it on the inside of my flares to prevent paint chips from rocks getting thrown up. Any controversy about that or maybe on the bottom of the floor pans?
purple
i have it for the entire interior of my teener. not the trunks tho. seems to be a really nice alternative to carpet
Joe Bob
I did my rockers, the engine bay and the rear trunk with it.....then sprayed over it.
McMark
Under body, sounds like a great idea.

Trunks, engine bay, interior... I cringe at the idea, but it has its merits. All I can think of is how many DAYS it would take to clean it out again. Plus it's IMPOSSIBLE to clean up messes/dirt. Certainly no spray and wipe. I'd rather see a trunk sprayed with aerosol black paint than bedliner.

But that's me. I think you should do whatever you want. wink.gif
Joe Bob
If regular paint is spayed over it....
Elliot Cannon
Kinda hard to see here but I painted truck bed liner on my front spoiler. Helps protect against road rash.
wbergtho
I'm thinkin of using it on the inside of my flares to prevent paint chips from rocks getting thrown up. Any controversy about that or maybe on the bottom of the floor pans?

My good friend Randy Beck who builds race cars and awesome street cars says that he uses the material you buy from harbor freight (the stuff you stand on in front of your work bench) it is about 1/4" thick and he cuts it to the correct shape and uses contact cement to apply it to the inner fenders to keep rocks from chipping his fibre glass fenders on his race cars and his 904 replica. It is light and keeps the glass from "star cracking" from gravel throwing up into the inner fenders.

firstknight13
biggrin.gif my top is done with rhino liner inside and out looks great
iamchappy
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Apr 19 2008, 02:24 AM) *

My good friend Randy Beck who builds race cars and awesome street cars says that he uses the material you buy from harbor freight (the stuff you stand on in front of your work bench) it is about 1/4" thick and he cuts it to the correct shape and uses contact cement to apply it to the inner fenders to keep rocks from chipping his fibre glass fenders on his race cars and his 904 replica. It is light and keeps the glass from "star cracking" from gravel throwing up into the inner fenders.

I just finished one of the inside fiberglass rear flares with expanding foam to do just that, It is so damn messy to work with but works well to prevent the rock star cracking. After it dries i shape it with a hacksaw blade then hit it with bedliner to seal it.
Wilhelm
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 19 2008, 09:49 AM) *

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Apr 19 2008, 02:24 AM) *

I just finished one of the inside fiberglass rear flares with expanding foam to do just that, It is so damn messy to work with but works well to prevent the rock star cracking. After it dries i shape it with a hacksaw blade then hit it with bedliner to seal it.

Hmmmm, I might be afraid of this as the other foam in my rig (sails, tail) seems to have been a water magnet. Any water getting past that bed liner will be held in contact with the above metal. Of course in the 914s, there was no attempt to seal the foam from the elements so it might work.
racerbvd
QUOTE(swood @ Apr 18 2008, 07:56 PM) *

Is this what you mean?? w00t.gif w00t.gif

I saw this earlier today at one of my jobsites...wacky.

Click to view attachment

I saw an S10 with that treatment at the gas station a few weeks ago laugh.gif

I plan on using it on the inside of my GT clone.
Wes V
Check out Zolatone

http://www.zolatoneaim.com/z20_1.html

I used it on the floors in a 64 Chevelle (2 door) wagon I built. There are a whole bunch of different color combinations available.

Wes V
iamchappy
The foam is only applied to the fiberglass and the bedliner seals it.
East coaster
I used Raptor bedliner from Upol on my underside. It was stripped to bare metal, epoxy primered and then coated with the bedliner material.

Click to view attachment
shelby/914
QUOTE(East coaster @ Apr 20 2008, 07:20 AM) *

I used Raptor bedliner from Upol on my underside. It was stripped to bare metal, epoxy primered and then coated with the bedliner material.

Click to view attachment

That looks great. Any idea on how much weight it added? Is it a spray or brush on?
Joe Bob
Pics of the rocker and the rear trunk.....

Joe Bob
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 18 2008, 02:36 PM) *

Yeah.. I don't know why you would want to do the trunks.. Floor pans yes, but why trunks?

Rear trunk because water pools under the rear tail lights even with the BEST of seals and prevention. I'm not looking to win the CW of the year award, just preserve what I have.....remember," the 914...the next 356....."

The shitty cut up rust bucket cars of the 80s are now selling for 10K+ to the old pharts with dollars AND euros.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.