Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Long Beach Gran Prix Pics - Saturday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
I'm Baaaaack...

Saturday, April 19 at the Long Beach Gran Prix. Let's start with Atlantic Series practice:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

(Interesting how the tree eats every one of these cars... biggrin.gif )
ericread
Please note that all of these photos have been reduced in size approximately 99% so that they can fit into these messages.

Champ Car Final Qualifying:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ericread
More Champ Car Qualifying:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The McDonalds car was fastest in qualifying Friday which earned it an automatic starting place on the first row. On Saturday, the McDonalds car won the Pole position.
ericread
A little bit of drifting... (kind of like watching a bad autocross driver):

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ericread
More pomp and circumstance:

Click to view attachment
Brazillian dancers

Click to view attachment
Ferrari Team

Click to view attachment
All of the teams lined up on the course by their cars. Take a look at the balconies of the round Condo tower and you can see some pretty cool parties...

Click to view attachment
To my left: P-Cars

Click to view attachment
To my right: GT-Cars

Click to view attachment
The cars take off behind the Pace car. Pretty good crowds today.
ericread
And, They're Off!!!

Click to view attachment
Taking the green flag!

Click to view attachment
The dreaded Audi Turbo Diesel mad.gif

Click to view attachment
Rs Spyders to the rescue aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ericread
Last pics from the ALMS race:

Click to view attachment
Hairpin turn that leads to the long straight-away on Ocean Blvd.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So how did this all turn out? (Stop reading here if you have TIVO'd the race to watch tomorrow):

Not so good for Porsche...Beat in the overall by Audi (those damn Turbo Diesels!) and Flying Lizard got out-manuvered by Tafel when Tafel didn't take tires on the pit stop (Damn those Tafel Ferrari F430 guys!)

However.. It was a really exciting race, right down to the finish.
Zimms
That was a good race. It looks like the Spyders lost to one of the Acuras as well.
914chris
That's right an Acura won the LMP2 class. As much as I like Porsche's my job is to beat them. We finally got them again (Sebring 2007 Acura's 1st win and 1st race). Those Penske Porsche's are tough to beat.
drew365
I was there yesterday as well, sitting at the hairpin and the beginning of the front straight. That was the place to be to watch the drifting guys. Not racing, but pretty fun to watch. Quite a bit of fender bending at that corner during the celebrity race. Jamie Little broadsided Mike Skinner trying to take him on the inside, but they both kept going. Here's some non racing pics.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Zimms
QUOTE(914chris @ Apr 20 2008, 06:37 PM) *

As much as I like Porsche's my job is to beat them. We finally got them again (Sebring 2007 Acura's 1st win and 1st race). Those Penske Porsche's are tough to beat.

Are you associated with Acura or one of the teams? I was at Sebring last year and it was phenomenal to see Acura do so well out of the gate and I like seeing a lot of variety in the manufactures (but like you, still really like Porsches).

Any insight to the rest of the year? It looks like the Acuras are strong in the corners, but not as much straight line speed. I am curious how that will play out at Road America or Petit. Plus, as good as the Spyders are, the oil burners looked great on such a tight track.

Regardless, the competition has gotten very good, and it is difficult to determine who is going to win. That is a noce change from 2003-2005 when you could assume an R8 for P1, Vette in GT1, and a Porsche in GT2.
SGB
Great pics from both of ya. Thanks alot! The P cars just kinda came unfocused...
Those Acura teams are gettting stronger all the time.
ericread
QUOTE(SGB @ Apr 20 2008, 09:31 PM) *

Great pics from both of ya. Thanks alot! The P cars just kinda came unfocused...
Those Acura teams are gettting stronger all the time.

Acura...? Acura...? Do you mean Honda? stirthepot.gif happy11.gif
914chris
Yes eric,
Technically I work for Honda, but I think everyone knows that Honda and Acura are the same thing. The ALMS is branded as Acura and our engine development is actually done in the states.
We are working very hard to beat the Penske's, we can usually get the Dyson Porsche, but the Penske is another animal.
You are correct that the Porsche is faster in the straights at Long beach. Hofefully we can get a package together for some of the bigger tracks.
It is going to be an exciting season. Keep watching.
I work for Acura/Honda, but am assigned to the Lowes Fernandez #15 car for the season, so if any of you guys come to a race find me and maybe I can show you the car a little closer.

In case you are looking for me, here is a picture after the race, Family was there, so they are picture happy of course. Trying out some facial hair, we will see how long it lasts.
Zimms
You guys really look good. Sebring was a tough break. Click to view attachment

I am looking forward to Detroit, Elkhart Lake and Mid-OH!

See you there!

Mark
ericread
914Chris;

That is awesome you are working with the Lowes car pray.gif . And I'm really glad you didn't say you were with one of the drifting teams... wacko.gif

Are you going to be with #15 all season? If so, I might see you in Monterey come October. beerchug.gif

I had a great week over at the Long Beach races. Great weather, strong crouds and some damn fine racing. Please tell your team thanks for such a memorable race week!

Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.