Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: updates this weekend - nice weather in CO finally
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
byndbad914
that's right, I said door, as in one hahaha. I went to the paint supply store today but they were closed, so no sand paper to finish the passenger door but got my light-weighted early door on. Late doors I had off another car were 54lbs each and these are 15lbs, so I stand to lose 58lbs when both doors are swapped out. Flimsy as hell.
Click to view attachment

byndbad914
dammit, major limitations on post size so here comes a few

Had a perfect hood I have hung onto for years (I had a few different 914s given to me back in the day or bought cheap and stripped for parts) so I could hack it all up when the time came, and that was today laugh.gif Bracing and the sections I cut for the louvers was 10lbs, but this hood is VERY flimsy so don't try this at home kids unless it is only a racer. Otherwise ~8lbs for bracing ain't worth it.

Click to view attachment
byndbad914
new wheel, quick disconnect and hub, and diamond plate floor

Click to view attachment
byndbad914
rear shot of louvers on hood. Should be pretty aero to suck the heat out from the radiator.

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
aktion035.gif looks awsome... Keep posting piratenanner.gif

Looks very interesting and 'FAST' too in a good way.

Question, what kind of shifter is that / maker?

Thank you
GS Guy
Next question: Where did you get the louvers? Are they fiberglass or ABS?

I've been looking for a nice set of generic fiberglass louvers to use on my project, but all I can find is ABS, or carbon fiber ($$$!).
Jeff
Gint
Finally? wuss... laugh.gif
byndbad914
haha Mike, hey, I still have SoCal blood and my garages face North and West, so they are freezing all the time.

The shifter is a stock late model cable shifter that I extended the height on to make shifting easier by just welding a steel sleeve over the existing handle. Everything else to adapt it to the 914 is all custom made.

The louvers are CF. I too wanted to find FG ones on the cheap, but just couldn't find anything that was going to get me where I wanted to go, so I bit the bullet. They aren't show quality CF either BTW, but I intended to paint over them anyway so I didn't care, but for the $$ I was surprised how rough they are.
Ferg
One of these days, I want to see your car all one color shades.gif

Gonna bring it to coffee in a few weeks?

Ferg
byndbad914
yeah, I need to test fit my street tires on the old wheels with the whole new setup (haven't tried them since doing the chassis and setting the track width to match the race wheels). If they fit (they are old school deep dish wheels) then yeah. If they need spacers, maybe - depends how fast I can get spacers for them.

The old race wheels with Hoosiers were DOT tires so I didn't mind driving on them, but the new wheels only fit full slicks, nothing DOT sad.gif

I would like to bring the car out to that for sure. And some day it will be two colors, but uniform and distinct laugh.gif with this green
Click to view attachment

and something hopefully like this - dammit, see next post. This forum really limits size of the attachments to a single post!
byndbad914
Click to view attachment

I sent the louvered hood pix to my friend in Cal doing stickers for my car and he said I F'd the hood up for him with the louvers and said I shoulda used NACA ducts of some sort so the sticker could lay over it. So I may not be able to get the big cross on the hood unless I paint it, and even then it may look weird over the louvers... we'll see.
Wilhelm
Is the diamond plate floor aluminum?
How is it attached to the car?
Is there bracing to keep it from bowing with weight or fluttering at speed?
byndbad914
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Apr 21 2008, 02:51 AM) *

Is the diamond plate floor aluminum?
How is it attached to the car?
Is there bracing to keep it from bowing with weight or fluttering at speed?

yep, thin alum sheet. It is screwed down to the tubes in the tube chassis and doesn't flutter. It is very flexible when not attached of course.

edit - "floor" before you can get the idea here. The bottom of the car is skinned perfectly flat front to rear with alum sheet. I would just rest my feet on the bars while driving before
Click to view attachment
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Apr 21 2008, 03:29 PM) *

The bottom of the car is skinned perfectly flat front to rear with alum sheet. I would just rest my feet on the bars while driving before
Click to view attachment

How many pairs of shoes did you go through? huh.gif
biggrin.gif

Nice door smile.gif
Ferg
I got a ripping good ride sans floor skins and in flip flops last summer blink.gif aktion035.gif
byndbad914
laugh.gif

I went drag racing Sunday with my buddy Ken (Ferg met him, has a turbo'd 16 valve stroked 4cyl in his Volvo wagon) and ran the car three passes. I could really smell the clutch on the 3rd pass so I put it on the trailer.

I had been noticing the car not hitting the same speed on the straight at Pueblo (getting slower) and clearly I have been slipping that clutch for awhile. I sorta smelled something on the first two passes but the third was very distinct.

Here is my first pass ever with the car. Damn near killed it trying to soft launch it but ran a 12.88 at 113 mph. I hit almost 115 on the last pass. Oddly enough, after the first pass a new 997 Turbo ran and he put down a 114-115mph pass at 11.97, so if my car had AWD, traction control, etc I would have been around 11.97.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o_RI7ZHkrQw

Mitsu ran 120mph!

And the turbo behind me in line
Click to view attachment

The only two Porsches out there (and technically he was the only Porsche out there) but mine drew more attention hahaha, nanner nanner rolleyes.gif at half the price.

'Course, power to weight ratio I should have been around 118mph by my guesstimation here at altitude. So I knew something was a bit off after the first pass. Fricken Kennedy clutch - it didn't look that great after only a few track days before doing the tube chassis and I called them, they said everything sounded fine, blah blah. I should get WAY more use out of the clutch than I have and they assured me it was good for even more torque than I was putting down at sea level.
TROJANMAN
That other guy was shooting at you..........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.