Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Member Common Tire Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tcsmoothie
I just pulled my 73 914 1.7 out of my pole barn which has sat there for 6 years. Needless to say I've been a bad boy and other then drained the gas totally neglected it. It has no rust and 44K miles on it. Before I do anything else to get it back in running order, I need tires just to move it. I know by the google, 165SR15's are hard to find with limited choices. I just want to drive the car and don't have to restore it to precise original condition. Any suggestions including sources or alternative tire sizes would be appreciated. It has the original 15" steel wheels with chrome hubcaps.
Spoke
2 15 inch tire sizes I've run (assuming 5.5inch wide rims) are:

195/55/15
205/50/15

Both are smaller than 165/80/15 (stock tire) but look much better, should handle better, and are readily available. Smaller size throws off your speedo and makes your 1.7L seem just a bit peppier since smaller tires equates to lowering all gear ratios.
tcsmoothie
Thanks, prefer one over the other?
SirAndy
QUOTE(tcsmoothie @ Apr 20 2008, 12:57 PM) *

Thanks, prefer one over the other?

go with the 195 ... they'll fit nicely and look period correct enogh ...
welcome.png Andy

PS: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
McMark
agree.gif for a purely street tire 195s fit and are pretty broadly available. What wheels do you have? Aftermarket VW wheels can be a tighter fit than stock wheels.
tcsmoothie
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 20 2008, 06:06 PM) *

agree.gif for a purely street tire 195s fit and are pretty broadly available. What wheels do you have? Aftermarket VW wheels can be a tighter fit than stock wheels.

They are the original steel 15" Original tires were uniroyal 165sr15, Its the spare!
jsayre914
welcome.png Show us Your Car.............we want to see
tcsmoothie
WARNING CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES. VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

These are the first digital photos ever of this car. Like I said, its been sitting since 02. Took out the gas tank today. All the lines and hoses are shot. Wish me luck.
iamchappy
Your car looks in very good shape, i wish you well in your fixing it up.
roadster fan
Keep us posted on the progress, looks like a nice car. I have 195's on my 71 and they look right and are readily available. Good luck.

oh, and welcome.png

Jim
ericread
I see the problem! You have flat tires and some lady is stealing your gas tank. You'll need to get both of those fixed right away... w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.