Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under Cylinder Tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLKWrx
Alright, I'm stuck. The 2.0 that I have has just about everything removed except for the under cylinder tin. It looks like its being held on by two flat head bolts. They're not budging even a little. Whats the deal?

Do I need to remove these before putting in the cylinders or the pushrod tubes? Can I just leave them on? I'm wary of leaving anything on that I don't know how to remove.

Thanks for the help
-- Steve
dbgriffith75
I don't think it will hurt anything to leave the tin on while you're installing the cylinders and tubes as long as you've got the clearance you need to do the install properly. But my personal feelings is that you really should remove it as it will make it easier for installing the tubes since you can work them from both ends.

What's been working for me is to take my soldering torch and apply heat for about 1-3 minutes. There was a lot of rusty bolts and screws on my engine when I started and that's been working like a charm.

If that doesn't work, or you don't have a soldering torch available, try using WD40 or a penetrating oil with a straw and spray the bolts from the other side of the sheet metal and allow it to soak for a few minutes.

Good luck.
Cap'n Krusty
Three screws hold the tin in place. If you can remove the 5mm screw that holds the tin to the head, you can bend the tin down (after the PR tubes are out) and remove the cylinders. Hard to get the tin clean while it's on the engine, but it can be done. The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
the pushrod tubes (and pushrods) need to come out. Make sure to keep track of what rod goes in what bore - it is important.

It is a very good idea to take these plates out and clean them. You don't much have to worry about rust, they are usually full to the cylinder with greasy dirt. Clean that out, it will cause you to run hot.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.