Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct size oil line for /6 racecar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
GaroldShaffer
Most of you know I bought an old FP racer last fall. The car was setup with a dry sump system for /4 engine. It now has a nice 2.4 /6 in it, but there are some concerns that the oil lines are to small for the amount of oil needed for the /6 engine.

I know its not going to be cheap to replace all the braided oil lines, but I want to make sure this is done right and not F up my /6 engine. So what is the proper size oil line needed? AN-12 or AN-16? I think what is in there now is AN10.

Also I assume I will need a higher capacity oil tank (16 quart) since I think the one in there now is not a 16 quart one. Yes?

I have been on the PMS website and tanks are $421 blink.gif and hose is $10 - $11 perfoot, plus I will need fittings also. Needless to say, I will be driving my other 914 for a while.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Apr 22 2008, 08:58 PM) *

AN-12 or AN-16?

i used -12 on my 3.6L car ... so far, no problems ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: here's a PDF with info on the oil-hose system used ...

http://www.914world.com/uploads/4281_b1.pdf (800k)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

jcd914

Garold,
To and from your oil cooler -12 will be fine.
From the oil tank to the engine at least -16.
Where is your oil tank?
On Ron's 914 race car we ran -20 line from the tank in the front trunk to the engine but then we were feeding a 3.4L monster 6.

You probably don't need a bigger tank with a 2.4L engine. The need for more oil is tied to the heat generated by the engine, 2.4 won't need 16 quart capacity.
Get the old tank cleaned though.

Andy,
Nice lines!
Must have been much easier to work with than braided steel.

Jim
SirAndy
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 22 2008, 10:23 PM) *

Andy,
Nice lines!

correct, i run a -16 from the bottom of the oiltank to the motor! everything else is -12 ...

those blue lines are soooo much easier to work with than braided lines. a bit more flexible too.
shades.gif Andy
GaroldShaffer

Garold,
To and from your oil cooler -12 will be fine.
Where is your oil tank?
On Ron's 914 race car we ran -20 line from the tank in the front trunk to the engine but then we were feeding a 3.4L monster 6.

You probably don't need a bigger tank with a 2.4L engine. The need for more oil is tied to the heat generated by the engine, 2.4 won't need 16 quart capacity.
Get the old tank cleaned though.

Andy,
Nice lines!

Jim

Jim you can see the tank in the ppicture below. Andy thanks for the info! beerchug.gif

jcd914

Jim you can see the tank in the ppicture below. Andy thanks for the info! beerchug.gif

Do you know the capacity of the tank?
You probable need the top 1/4 or 1/3 for slush and splash to keep from filling you catch tank in a few laps.

Stock 6 tank held 10 quarts (I think) and they did not have an external oil cooler, only the engine mounted cooler. With an external cooler, you will have a few extra quarts in you cooler and lines so if you can duplicate the stock tank capacity you should be OK.

Jim
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 23 2008, 02:23 AM) *

I'm still in the -16 everywhere camp, although I agree lots of cars run -12. The supply line from the tank to the pressure pump inlet can see considerable suction and should run an internal anti-collapse coil spring if it is not a hardline.

You can cut a corner here or there on the scavenge system as it is quite forgiving; you collapse a supply line and your bearings will let you know in a hurry.
AgPete139
Newbie question to tack on to this thread (and sorry for hijacking pray.gif ) :

Where does the AN-10, -12, -16 or whatever come from? How is it measured? And what size (mm) is, say, an AN hose or fitting?

Does anyone know what the stock size of the 2.0L /6 sizes are?
McMark
MMmmmm... Wikipedia
elmonte
Here's ID of a stock 6 line

Click to view attachment
elmonte
here's what i run now after a oil cooler leak AN-16

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
Each number in the dash = 1/16=". -10 = 5/8. -12= 3/4, -16 = 1" AN refers to a type of flared threaded fitting not a specific size.

Bruce

QUOTE(AgPete139 @ Apr 24 2008, 07:36 PM) *

Newbie question to tack on to this thread (and sorry for hijacking pray.gif ) :

Where does the AN-10, -12, -16 or whatever come from? How is it measured? And what size (mm) is, say, an AN hose or fitting?

Does anyone know what the stock size of the 2.0L /6 sizes are?

smdubovsky
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 15 2008, 02:16 AM) *

AN refers to a type of flared threaded fitting not a specific size.

Actually, the N*1/16 size designation refers to the OD of a hardline. Thats required so that flares/tubenuts/etc will fit properly. AN8 hardline is exactly 1/2" OD. The ID is slightly less. The OD of braided/flexible hose obviously needs to be much larger to keep a similar ID.

I run AN12 for the cooler ckt and AN20 for the tank to pump (it closely matches the stock 'S' hose ID on a 911).
Thorshammer

Use -12 on the return and -16 on the feed and you will have zero issues.

Erik
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.