Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cold start valve question...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eldiosyeldiablo
Hey guys. I'm starting to replace the vacuum lines on my car as the first todo thing on my list.

However other than the large vacuum line that attaches to the cold start valve there is another small plug on it. Plus it also has a connection for electical.

Neither the small vac hole or the electrical has anything plug in on it. Where is the small line suppose to go to?

Pics are greatly appreciated.

I am not finding anything on the Hayes manual for this.

Thx,
David
TheCabinetmaker
Small hose line goes to the fuel rail on the drivers side. There is probably a plug laying loose somewhere. You won't have to worry about it in Georgia. It's actually kinda like a 5th injector. It shoots a small amount of gas in the throttle, but only works when it's very cold. They are sometimes disconnected when a bad AAR is misdiagnosed. You can live without both of them
redshift
Maybe you can live without the CSV, but the AAR operates in a temp range above the CSV (<29 I think) and the AAR is not only for holding the car from stalling during warm up, it's more about lubricating (vs low oil pressure) in those cold minutes.

TIV engines want oil pressure, and don't make much at room temperature.

M
JeffBowlsby
The CSV has a 2 pole connection on the FI wire harness...is that it laying the background of your photo? 1 wire of that 2 wire connection should have constant +12V from the ECU computer and the other goes directly (through the harness) to the thermotime switch just aft of the dizzy. The thermotime switch provides the ground path for the circuit, as temps vary. The CSV injects additional fuel into the air plenum as long as the thermotime switch determines its too cold, and needs the additional fuel.

The AAV works somewhat similarly, but the thermotime function is fully self-contained within it. The heater in the AAV is always on while the ignition is running, and when the AAV is warm, it closes and cuts off the additional air it was supplying to the air plenum for cold starts. Nop wonder they burn out all the time. cool.gif

Grusse
Brad Roberts
Does this mean I could pulse the 5th injector for more fuel is needed ??

Oh.. I have only seen one heating element go bad out of 50-60 AAR's I have looked at.

B
tracks914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 18 2004, 06:29 PM)

I have a friend that's into Dodge turbos and he says it pretty common for those guys to add a cold start injector to their systems when they boost their pressures and try to get another couple K RPM out of the engines. I've seen the web sites and all the calculations for different set ups.
It might be applied to teeners if carburation wasn't such an easy option. It still might be a option too. cool_shades.gif
JeffBowlsby

Thats what Jeff 'Turbo' Shyu was doin....but you knew that... wink.gif
Brad Roberts
Yeah.. but sometimes I ask questions that I already know the answer too..LOL just to make people think.

B
redshift
It's not the optimum place to add extra fuel!

Try the gas tank! laugh.gif

M
Dave_Darling
The CSV only gets +12V while the starter is cranking--the power line is connected to the yellow starter wire.

You can use it to dump more fuel into the manifold, but it doesn't get distributed awfully well and it atomizes pretty badly. Not so bad for turbo apps, where you've got very hot air coming in and helping the fuel to atomize nicely, but not so great for NA work.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.