Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eng. Lid question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914werke
Ok on certain yr models at the front edge of the lid is rubber bump stop thingy.
its L shaped with a steel bracket that is captured under one of two spots on the tray.
What's it for?
Were ther just one or are two susposed to exist?
McMark
It keeps the rear trunk lid from hitting the engine lid when both are open. It's only on early years.

Rubber piece is 914.512.195.10
Metal reinforcement is 914.512.326.10

PET lists them as through 73.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 25 2008, 08:46 PM) *

It keeps the rear trunk lid from hitting the engine lid when both are open. It's only on early years.

it also prevents the engine lid from just flying open when you pull the lever. without that stop, you have to put your hand on the lid while opening to prevent it from potentially hitting the trim. with the stop, the lid only opens a few inches ...

smile.gif Andy

PS: just one, not two ...
914werke
Ok Great. mounted on the drvs or Pass. side?
Sure its only up to 73? I seem to encountered these on 74 cars
as well (LE smile.gif ) though I cant honsetly recall if Ive seen any on 75-76
cars?
Would it be specific to the tray used since very early trays were diff from mid
but not sure if Late were diff again?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 26 2008, 01:25 PM) *

cars?

Drivers' side only.

Doesn't matter what type of rain tray.

BTW, the one on my 72 has never kept the engine lid from opening full blast - only my right hand . In essence, an original, though useless part.
Pat
McMark
Andy, that's the story that Brad presented to me as well, but there is no clip or catch that would stop it from opening.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 29 2008, 11:02 PM) *

Andy, that's the story that Brad presented to me as well, but there is no clip or catch that would stop it from opening.

it doesn't have to. when installed right, it slides along the edge of the rear hood, slowing down the lid enough so it doesn't bang all the way up ...
shades.gif Andy
TJB/914
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 26 2008, 11:25 AM) *

cars?

I agree most 74's had them except late in the year they were eliminated.
Here's a photo from my mid year 74 what they look like.

Tom
McMark
slides along the edge of the rear hood, slowing down the lid enough

I'll have to see it to believe it. wink.gif
jonferns
Interesting. I've never seen one of these before. My '74 (built 3/74) doesn't have one. Where would it mount exactly, maybe a pic? Would their be an additional hole of some sort? I don't see any place where it could mount.
JeffBowlsby
I have seen a few LEs Rich...never one with this rubber thingy....are you sure it was original to the LEs?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ May 3 2008, 08:47 PM) *

Interesting. I've never seen one of these before. My '74 (built 3/74) doesn't have one. Where would it mount exactly, maybe a pic? Would their be an additional hole of some sort? I don't see any place where it could mount.

Here's a pic of my original ('72) & where it's mounted (yeah, I know - the engine's a mess - lotsa things being redone). Of course, and naturally, the early version is not the same as Tom's - F & R surfaces are flush. Jeez, is there ANY continuity to the parts on these cars?

Pat
914werke
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 3 2008, 11:16 PM) *

I have seen a few LEs Rich...never one with this rubber thingy....are you sure it was original to the LEs?

No I wasnt sure Jeff, Ive gone thru a few cars mostly 73 & 74's and recall seeing them on both, the LE burned so long ago I couldnt remeber.
Just chking the colective wisdom. smile.gif
My car will have a few deviations from stock, if they make functional sense.
SS HE's, the late dual blower outlet ect.
If that little do-hicky was gonnas save some lid smackage Id install it. idea.gif
Slider
Then my 72 has one to many..ive got them on both sides.
thats the way it came to me..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.