Full Version: A Real One For Ya
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SLITS
A Real One

Jump on it.

On second thought I wouldn't.

Will it make it in one piece shipped?

Nice to know that prevarcation (sp?) comes in so many different languages.
SGB
Little rattle can and it's concours ready!
Gint
That'll buff out...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
who in the hell listed that piece of crap?
smontanaro
Apparently Lionel did. wink.gif

Skip
SLITS
Sorry George ... if it's one of yours please tell your people to be as honest about descriptions as most of us are.

If it's not one of yours, I apologize
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 26 2008, 11:43 AM) *

Sorry George ... if it's one of yours please tell your people to be as honest about descriptions as most of us are.

If the description is not honest I do not know what is!!
Gustl
please tell us the VIN cheer.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
SGB
Actually it is TOTALLY honest in the representation. Just look at that hell hole!
Rand
stripped of the goodness, and without a registration or title

That's what I put in all my car searches. wacko.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
This is a car that we have used in the past for many many pickings and now we are selling what is left. Just a stripped body shell.
jonferns
No vin tags left?
davep
Looks like no motor mount either. However it would be nice to know the original VIN and the body # anyway; just like to tie the two together while it is possible.
plymouth37
Well at least it has the "factory goop around the shock towers"!
GWN7
Nope, George didn't say IT
SLITS
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 26 2008, 12:08 PM) *

stromberg.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 26 2008, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 26 2008, 12:08 PM) *

stromberg.gif

Joe Bob
Ummmm,,,eerrrr,,arrrgghhhh....kinda hard to defend this one, Doc.... sheeplove.gif
Rick_Eberle
I'm SO glad that I've sworn off ever importing another car...
rhodyguy
what the f are phials? dry.gif oh...websters new collegiate...a vial. huh.gif your guys are trying to be TOO clever and it doesn't work. streamlined and straight forward is the best approach in my book. to each their own. shades.gif

k
Gint
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 26 2008, 11:40 AM) *

So, are you saying that you have no idea that your employees are selling *your* inventory on ebay? Just curious...
rhodyguy
i will proof read all of your ebay ads for a nominal fee. oh jack...tell your story. it's golden i tell ya, GOLDEN.

k
SGB
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 27 2008, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 26 2008, 11:40 AM) *

So, are you saying that you have no idea that your employees are selling *your* inventory on ebay? Just curious...

I believe that was sarcasm.

KELTY360
Brilliant, I say. Brilliant.

Strip an original 914/6 to a bare, rusted shell; sell off all the parts (bet he got a mint for the oil tank), auction the hulk to some P.T Barnum poster boy and then sell the sucker the parts he needs to make it a car again. The sucker might even buy back some of the parts that got stripped off in the first place.

Makes me proud to be an American. flag.gif sheeplove.gif
SGB
"Greed is good"

av-943.gif
byndbad914
maybe I am a bit dense or not catching something... but I don't actually see a problem. confused24.gif And trust me, I am not here to defend AA by any means - I suspect a few of you know where I stand on that.

He lists a VIN in the ad, and I know nothing of 914 VINs but it looks a bit funky to me (all of the last digits are zeros) so I am guessing you guys call BS on it?

Otherwise, it says it has been stripped of all that is good, has no title or reg (it's in essentially a salvage yard at AA).

If it is a real -6 shell someone (sucker maybe, I dunno, -6s aren't worth enough IMHO to bring that back from the dead but there are folks with more money than brains, sure) may want to spend $500 to have it.

and to say greed is good, etc - I don't get it. George is in business to sell 914 stuff, so that would be like saying, "You plan to go to work tomorrow? Oh, you greedy bastard you, working...hmmpf!" He is in biz to sell 914 stuff and is selling a ratty-ass shell with presumably a VIN. People buy VINs all the time for $500 on Camaros, Mustangs, etc so why not a 914?

I dunno, I ain't seeing the problem for some reason and I suspect George isn't seeing you guys asking for the VIN cuz after the first bit of bad blood in the thread, he maybe stopped coming back to it

or is refusing to bother with adding it because he knows nobody here is buying it laugh.gif

Sleepin
I dunno, someone like me might buy it, like I thought about buying a 308 GTBi here locally that had been in a fire for $1500.......I thought it would make a sweet sandbox for the kids! biggrin.gif

just remember... almost everything is always for sale!
ericread
popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
Does anyone want to buy it?
If so, pick up the phone and CALL George.

Ask him.

Rich
smontanaro
Here's my take on things. We're looking at this shell with today's prices dancing in our heads. AA may well have had this car for a long time, like back from the time when a rusted out hulk was just that. Look at the cars George *does* have. It's not like this one was a pristine beauty. Given the economics it probably wasn't worth saving, so it got cannibalized for parts. There's another 914/6 shell in admittedly better condition, which the AA site says sold for $5500. If this car rolled into AA today complete (or nearly so) the decision to part it out vs. restoring it or selling it whole might be different.

Skip
Reed Tard
I am currently the highest bidder

- Steve Stromsburg
Rand
On a serious note, help me understand the potential value of something like this. The way I see it, restoring that thing is never going to be profitable because the cost to fix it is beyond what you could ever sell the finished product for.

The "real" six thing means nothing to me personally. I only care about how the final product turns out, not what number was on the VIN. But I'm a driver, not a collector.

I guess the rationale is that THIS one restored to equal condition of just another six conversion is going to be worth a lot more. But it's not going to have the original motor and parts. How much more would it be worth? Enough to recover the difference in the higher restoration cost? Even close?
Joe Bob
If the VIN is gone, it's worth what a 914/4 is worth in that shape.
Rand
Agreed. I'm still curious how much more a stripped real 6 shell is worth over a 4 in general? (If they had VIN tags intact.)
spare time toys
Sooo where did the VIN tags end up rolleyes.gif idea.gif happy11.gif huh.gif
rhodyguy
a stripped shell is worth the $40 you will pay to the guy hauls it away for scrap. but that's WITH a title. you can't get them to touch them without one.

k
Rand
Well, I'm getting confirmation that the heap in question is only worth it's weight in scrap metal as I suspected....

But what I want to learn is about the extra value of real sixes in general. Let's say we have two really nice 914s sitting side by side. One is a real six. One is an equally nice conversion. How much more is the real six worth?
carr914
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 28 2008, 03:22 PM) *

Well, I'm getting confirmation that the heap in question is only worth it's weight in scrap metal as I suspected....

But what I want to learn is about the extra value of real sixes in general. Let's say we have two really nice 914s sitting side by side. One is a real six. One is an equally nice conversion. How much more is the real six worth?

2 to 3 times as much as the conversion

T.C.
GWN7
"without a registration or title"

It's worth $0.025 a pound......... that is if the scrap yard will accept it.

Imagine buying it, fixing all the rust ($$$), then finding all the missing pieces ($$$$$) only to have the last registered owner come along and claim it.......

No paperwork, no history, no sale
jd74914
So, does it have a VIN tag?
tod914
VIN: 9140430000 | Get the Vehicle History Report

Inspection: Order an independent inspection

you all want to chip in on either a vehicle history report or independent inspection?

byndbad914
the point everyone is making is the posted VIN is bogus (I wasn't sure but suspected all zeros wasn't right until I simply googled 914-6 serial number and got confirmation).

914043 is the start of a -6 VIN. the zeros after that should be a value for which one it is, so unless this car is the first one ever, and they didn't start with a 1 for the first car, there should be a number like 9140435646 where it is 5646 car built. That VIN is the zero-th car built.

The real issue is some people are assuming the car has the VINs removed - I personally haven't seen confirmation if a real VIN exists on the car or not, so it may have VINs where they belong, maybe not. Nor do I care laugh.gif but it is interesting that George hasn't simply posted what the VIN is or if they have been removed.

If they are gone, that chassis isn't worth $1 period as you could never register/title or prove the car is okay to do that, even if you put a 1.7L four in it. If they are there, that chassis may definitely be worth $500 or more so someone could cut them out and put in a -4 tub and "restore" their -6 conversion.

A '69 Camaro convertible was for sale on eBay awhile back that was 1. cut in half, 2. rusted beyond any real repair, etc. But if you want to go to Goodmark and buy all the body work you could build one almost completely from repair parts and put that VIN on it and title it as a 69 Camaro vert. So it has value to some shiesty bastard.
SLITS
there was a least one car with a 914 1 VIN

Maybe 9140000 is one of the other missing mules.
Krieger
That original 6 dash frame is prolly worth $300.
r_towle
I just read the ad.
It says no title or registration. Ok.
It does not say not VIN.

Rich
dw914er
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 29 2008, 01:19 PM) *

I just read the ad.
It says no title or registration. Ok.
It does not say not VIN.

Rich

yea, but the posted vin seems incorrect

i think that is the major issue

so basically, you have little/no documentation for the car, which means its basically only good for scrap metal. if it had the vin on it, you could at least swap it out, or rebuild that car and gain the extra value.
r_towle
I suppose if I wanted the car, I would call George and ask him if it has a VIN and what that number was.

No title and no reg is not really an issue.
Swapping tags is an issue.
If the tub has all the tags, riveted tags and the body sections with imprinted serial number, it should not be an issue.

Rich
tod914

Maybe they just needed to post a vin to advertise the car. No surprises,
pictures posted show you what your bidding on.
rwjames
Maybe this is where the VIN went.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/service/restore-7/index.html
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(rwjames @ Apr 29 2008, 04:27 PM) *

Study all those pics and look for all the VIN/Karmann/build tags where they should be and "are", and "are not". idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.