Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Curious structural notch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
Is this slight indent in the front hood bracing to accommodate the never-realized external fuel filler door? If that's not it, why did the factory notch this out?

Paul
jonferns
IIRC, it was for an external fuel filler door which never came to be, and is located directly above the filler neck
Eric_Shea
Bliz and I are currently sourcing parts for the optional fuel filler door. Should be available mid-September. wink.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 26 2008, 02:57 PM) *

Bliz and I are currently sourcing parts for the optional fuel filler door. Should be available mid-September. wink.gif

Will that utilize the heretofore never seen before cable release fuel filler door, or will you use a simple cam/spring hinge closure? huh.gif

Paul
SirAndy
i have pictures of the real deal on the puter at home. as far as i know there were at least two prototyp cars build with that setup ...

smile.gif Andy
orthobiz
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 26 2008, 06:57 PM) *

Will it become 2008's "rear fog light" wannabe topic?
hahahahahahhahahahhaa

Paul

Eric_Shea
Will that utilize the heretofore never seen before cable release fuel filler door, or will you use a simple cam/spring hinge closure?

Ohh, we're going factory all the way. Pat's been PMing me for the specs but... he's been so hurtful in the past toward our previous endeavors that I think he'll have to sit this one out.

It already has bubble-boy... you've just been hibernating! lol3.gif
davep

That reminds me that gms has a strange bracket under his dash on 0012, Perhaps that is what it was for. Andy, do you have details on the release mechanism?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Some car(s)/photos show an external gas cap on the cowl panel, another car is shown with a small filler door on the f. lid. Both of those cars were configured with the 3.0 flat 8 I believe. Once Andy posted some pics of one of those cars that had a pretty good shot of that filler. I'd imagine that plan was scuttled in an effort to save some deutschmarks. I remember that during the fuel crisis of 1979, having a secure (and hidden) fuel access point was a good thing.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 27 2008, 02:27 PM) *

Will that utilize the heretofore never seen before cable release fuel filler door, or will you use a simple cam/spring hinge closure?

Ohh, we're going factory all the way. Pat's been PMing me for the specs but... he's been so hurtful in the past toward our previous endeavors that I think he'll have to sit this one out.

It already has bubble-boy... you've just been hibernating! lol3.gif

Well, let's see here.
.002%! of 914's had this trick setup, and they were (oops, almost forgot) PROTOTYPES. Having a bit of a hard time calling this setup "original"! The rear fog light I can forgive(uggh!), because it was a factory option - sorta like those braces on your ugly sister!

THIS is NOT a factory option. But, you guys are free to cut up body panels to your hearts content. But, it isn't original & never will be. There - happy that you got me started again Eric?

Hey Biz (bubble boy - and I really like that moniker!) - let's give 'em hell!
Pat
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 27 2008, 01:56 PM) *

Some car(s)/photos show an external gas cap on the cowl panel, another car is shown with a small filler door on the f. lid. Both of those cars were configured with the 3.0 flat 8 I believe. Once Andy posted some pics of one of those cars that had a pretty good shot of that filler. I'd imagine that plan was scuttled in an effort to save some deutschmarks. I remember that during the fuel crisis of 1979, having a secure (and hidden) fuel access point was a good thing.

i don't count the red /8 car as it has a round gas cap in the cowl.

there's two other prototypes with a square (ish) fuel door in the front hood. one is the silver /8 car and the other is a dark red /6 prototype (whereabouts unknown) ...

the mechanism looks strikingly similar to the one used in the karman ghia ...
shades.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
But, you guys are free to cut up body panels to your hearts content.

Come on Pat... it's just a hole (albeit a bit larger than the last ones we drilled) biggrin.gif

the mechanism looks strikingly similar to the one used in the karman ghia ...

Stop giving away the secrets! mad.gif

Wait until Tom finds out what we're doing... lol3.gif
SirAndy
the dark red prototype car with the fueldoor in the hood ...

stirthepot.gif Andy
IronHillRestorations
So, except for having bragging rights, what's the plus side of doing this?

I always thought not being able to see a fuel filler door, or gas cap, is a plus.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(9146986 @ Apr 28 2008, 05:41 AM) *

I always thought not being able to see a fuel filler door, or gas cap, is a plus.

The 914 gas cap access, as it exists now, requires that you open the front trunk lid to fill the tank. If you happen to need to pump gas in the pouring rain and you are at a station that does not have covered pump islands (which were not prevelant in the '70s). the open trunk would permit rain to moisten your fitted Louis Vuitton luggage set. biggrin.gif

Secondly, back in the '70s (again), when front bras/masks were more frequently seen on our Porsches, partially removing and refitting them could be a pain just to open the hood.

Lastly, given todays' realities, who wants to open their trunk to fill their gas tank and have to look at the collection of tools, dirty shop rags, spares, jack stands and mismatched spare tires that collectively remind us that we're driving cars that are all over 30 years old. rolleyes.gif

Paul
rjames
Lastly, given todays' realities, who wants to open their trunk to fill their gas tank and have to look at the collection of tools, dirty shop rags, spares, jack stands and mismatched spare tires that collectively remind us that we're driving cars that are all over 30 years old.

Better that than dripping gas on the hood, or worse, accidenty chipping some paint by hitting the side of the opening in the hood with the filler nozzle.

However, for the record I think it looks like of cool. biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 28 2008, 10:35 AM) *

The 914 gas cap access, as it exists now, requires that you open the front trunk lid to fill the tank. If you happen to need to pump gas in the pouring rain and you are at a station that does not have covered pump islands (which were not prevelant in the '70s). the open trunk would permit rain to moisten your fitted Louis Vuitton luggage set. biggrin.gif

Secondly, back in the '70s (again), when front bras/masks were more frequently seen on our Porsches, partially removing and refitting them could be a pain just to open the hood.

Lastly, given todays' realities, who wants to open their trunk to fill their gas tank and have to look at the collection of tools, dirty shop rags, spares, jack stands and mismatched spare tires that collectively remind us that we're driving cars that are all over 30 years old. rolleyes.gif

Paul

Well, let's take this one step at a time:

When was the last time you gassed your 914 in a station that wasn't covered? And, if it WAS uncovered, the slope of the 914 front hood would keep everything dry. Mine didn't come with Vitton luggage - Sears maybe, but I forget.

Hmm, bras. Yeah, I remmeber them, think I still have one around here someplace. Always liked my Porsches like my women - braless! No chafe on the paint, and the....forget it (moxed audience).

And then we get to "lastly". Hmm, I dont have any of those things in my front trunk - they'd foul the carpet. Nope, the fron trunk, as well as the rear trunk have zippo in them that doesn't belong there. Now, if we're taking a trip......

And, WHO would have anyhing dirty in ANY trunk of a 914? What are you - barbarians?
Eric_Shea
When was the last time you gassed your 914 in a station that wasn't covered?

I've got one for ya Pat; When was the last time Paul gassed his 914, period? biggrin.gif av-943.gif

(Sorry Paul... it was delivered with wub.gif )

That red car does give you a glimpse of what it will look like one the Bahia machine. Just think of all the awards flowing your way!
Johny Blackstain
popcorn[1].gif I like the gas door & this thread.

Pat- if it's a prototype, how is that not original? Factory is factory, prototype or not! The rear foglight however, is still ugly & an option. stirthepot.gif

Andy: does that prototype have an adjustable passenger seat?
Eric_Shea
The rear foglight however, is still ugly & an option

banned.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Apr 29 2008, 02:46 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif I like the gas door & this thread.

Pat- if it's a prototype, how is that not original? Factory is factory, prototype or not! The rear foglight however, is still ugly & an option. stirthepot.gif

Al,

The diff between the rear fog and the chopped hood are simple. The rear fog was a factory option, and is in the parts manual as such. The chopped hood (my term) is not & has never been offered as a factory option. It WAS prototype on two cars (as I recall), but never a factory offered item. Ergo, except for those two cars, it is bogus. Oh, and it DOES require significant surgery to fit.

Did I mention that it was not original, i.e., BOGUS!

Now, aside from the fact that it's B, and that you'd have to do major surgery to a hood, and that you'd have to fabricate a BOGUS seal around the flap, and that you'd wind up scratching the paint & spilling fuel on the hood, why would you want to do this? Why?

Now, I don't wish to be hardnosed about this, but this topic is,though interesting, not "originality" or "concours" based. So, let's not go too far on this Forum with it. Wouldn't want to jade the newbies. Get my drift?

The original question was fine, but this isn't a proper continuing topic for this forum.

Fine on the Garage Forum though. Else, let it die here. I appreciate the fun factor, but this isn't the place. Sorry, no slams against the posters - just take it to where it's appropriate. Else.....fire me...please!
Pat
Eric_Shea
Else.....fire me...please!

No need... I'll leave you guys alone. Didn't realize the humor was bothering you.

Sorry,

E.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Apr 29 2008, 12:46 PM) *

no ...
shades.gif Andy
zymurgist
If I remember correctly, somebody brought a car to the ECC last year that had this mod.
iamchappy
I think they work fine, you have to be careful with the pump handle and the hose either way.
Johny Blackstain
Pat- headbang.gif

E- happy11.gif

Andy- thanks, looks kind of like it did from that pic you posted.

biggrin.gif
r_towle
I think if there was a way to get the door into the side of the fender it would be a better functional item.

Neither is original, but the side of the fender would be alot more useful.
I would not want to have a hole in the hood with yet another way for water to get in there...

Rich
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 29 2008, 09:55 PM) *

Else.....fire me...please!

No need... I'll leave you guys alone. Didn't realize the humor was bothering you.

Sorry,

E.

Eric,

Thought the humor was...humorous!

But, from an "originality" point of view, thought it needed to be in the Garage. Purely, from a purists standpoint. No harm or mailice intended.

BTW - I DID NOT move this thread! Don't know who did, but I'm pissed at them!

I'm 61 years old & think that makes me a grown up human. I'm also "supposed" to be a Moderator of a certain Forum. If I want something moved - I WILL MOVE IT! If I want help moving a topic, I'll ask for it. Whoever did this, please PM me. You may have done it in good faith, but don't do it again!

Oh, did I mention that I could be fired/replaced?

Pissed!
Pat
mightyohm
I just read this thread, and.... OMFG. biggrin.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 30 2008, 12:38 PM) *

I would not want to have a hole in the hood with yet another way for water to get in there...

agree.gif Anything that makes a 914 rust faster is probably not the greatest mod.

Also, someone previously mentioned gas spillage... I have to deal with that all the time with my Corvette. The gas filler door is dead center on the rear deck and I have to do a gas nozzle ballet every time I fill the tank to keep from spilling gas on the paint.
SirAndy
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Apr 30 2008, 07:22 PM) *

and I have to do a gas nozzle ballet every time

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
burton73
This is the gas door on #41. I have thought of putting it back to stock but it is just too cool and unique.

This is what the PO said in his EBay ad when I bought it. I have had many questions about the fuel filler area. Peter Dawe of Dawe's Motorsports helped build this car at Dick Troutmans's in the late 70s. I asked Petr how this was done, below is his answer.
Hi Lloyd From what I can remember the hinge and the flush mount latch was aircraft surplus. I believe all those parts are offered thru Aircraft Spruce Co. Peter welded a shaped piece of steel under the body cowl for the gas door to sit on .

My car has a clear history, clear title. Everyone will know #41 of the Gas door on the cowl. Look mom no swapped numbers!

My car has lots of items that are not stock from the factory. I have early S breaks up front, vented disks in the rear. A 2.5 SS engine. GT oil cooling up front. Is it better than a stock 914-6? Yes it is to me.

Pat, there is a drain on my car from the connection box under the Gas door so any spilled gas or water from a wash or rain that would get in would drain under the car. Same as a new car.

Bob
Ferg
That picture gives me more wood than a rear fog drooley.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(burton73 @ May 1 2008, 03:38 PM) *

This is the gas door on #41. I have thought of putting it back to stock but it is just too cool and unique.

This is what the PO said in his EBay ad when I bought it. I have had many questions about the fuel filler area. Peter Dawe of Dawe's Motorsports helped build this car at Dick Troutmans's in the late 70s. I asked Petr how this was done, below is his answer.
Hi Lloyd From what I can remember the hinge and the flush mount latch was aircraft surplus. I believe all those parts are offered thru Aircraft Spruce Co. Peter welded a shaped piece of steel under the body cowl for the gas door to sit on .

My car has a clear history, clear title. Everyone will know #41 of the Gas door on the cowl. Look mom no swapped numbers!

My car has lots of items that are not stock from the factory. I have early S breaks up front, vented disks in the rear. A 2.5 SS engine. GT oil cooling up front. Is it better than a stock 914-6? Yes it is to me.

Pat, there is a drain on my car from the connection box under the Gas door so any spilled gas or water from a wash or rain that would get in would drain under the car. Same as a new car.

Bob

Nice mod! aktion035.gif
iamchappy
Yep, water drains right out the bottom through the fuel overfill tray tube. I'm not worried about it.........
Scott S

"I'm 61 years old & think that makes me a grown up human."

"I'm also "supposed" to be a Moderator of a certain Forum. If I want something moved - I WILL MOVE IT! If I want help moving a topic, I'll ask for it. Whoever did this, please PM me. You may have done it in good faith, but don't do it again!"

Sort of funny having both of these statements in the same post......

Scott S
QUOTE(burton73 @ May 1 2008, 03:38 PM) *

Bob

Wow..... that is few steps beyond a simple gas door. Very very cool....
zymurgist
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 1 2008, 03:19 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Apr 30 2008, 07:22 PM) *

and I have to do a gas nozzle ballet every time

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

You really don't want to see me in a tutu.

Come to think of it, neither do I.

akellym
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 28 2008, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 28 2008, 10:35 AM) *

Paul

Well, let's take this one step at a time:

When was the last time you gassed your 914 in a station that wasn't covered? And, if it WAS uncovered, the slope of the 914 front hood would keep everything dry. Mine didn't come with Vitton luggage - Sears maybe, but I forget.

Hmm, bras. Yeah, I remmeber them, think I still have one around here someplace. Always liked my Porsches like my women - braless! No chafe on the paint, and the....forget it (moxed audience).

And then we get to "lastly". Hmm, I dont have any of those things in my front trunk - they'd foul the carpet. Nope, the fron trunk, as well as the rear trunk have zippo in them that doesn't belong there. Now, if we're taking a trip......

And, WHO would have anyhing dirty in ANY trunk of a 914? What are you - barbarians?

I have to agree.
SirAndy
QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 2 2008, 04:04 AM) *

You really don't want to see me in a tutu.

Come to think of it, neither do I.

av-943.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.