Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Strut Housings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914werke
There were early, then late diff being the ball joint pinch bolt vs tapered pin
then ther was the OE manaufacture...BOGE with and option of Bilstien on certian cars. Or was it just the inserts were upgraded?
My car came with Green housings and gas inserts?
Whats what?
Were the rears on the Bils optioned cars also Green bodied?
davep
The optional Bilstein struts are completely different than the stock Boge struts with Bilstein inserts. The front struts are green as you note, and the rear shocks are the usual yellow. I have two sets of this combination, one set on my LE, and these MAY be factory installed.
914werke
Dave what do you mean "May"?
If they were OE wouldnt they have been noted on the
COA as an option?
914werke
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 27 2008, 02:30 PM) *

The optional Bilstein struts are completely different than the stock Boge struts with Bilstein inserts. The front struts are green as you note, and the rear shocks are the usual yellow. I have two sets of this combination, one set on my LE, and these MAY be factory installed.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Couldnt help myself.. Dave do you have comparison shot?
JeffBowlsby
Here are the rears from my Bumblebee: biggrin.gif
davep
Okay smartass, what is the part # stamped into those green rear shocks! w00t.gif
Never seen any that color before. BTW, I haven't got a COA on my car, yet. Been waiting to see if they can produce a correct COA the first time around.
914werke
Jeff whats on the front?
JeffBowlsby
These are... biggrin.gif

48K mi car, bought from original owner.
Rav914
Wow, are you sure it isn't just 48 miles on that car? Looks amazing.
davep
So why are your front struts black (with a green cover) and the rear shocks green?
My struts are green, and rear shocks are yellow. Two sets like that.
Johny Blackstain
This should make things even more confusing... my fronts are black & here's what on the back:
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 29 2008, 01:49 PM) *

So why are your front struts black (with a green cover) and the rear shocks green?
My struts are green, and rear shocks are yellow. Two sets like that.

Wish I knew. I have seen the all green front housings but I thought those were only for 911s. I have seen other green top/black bottom housings on 914s. Got a photo of the all green variety on a 914?

I think the yellow shocks are not vintage, but newer replacements. I think I remember that my green rears even have a 914 PN if I recall, but I have not looked lately.
davep
Johny has Koni shocks, so that is entirely different.
Jeff, you gotta go and get the PN from those shocks! stirthepot.gif
914werke
Jeff mine are the same black bodies with the green covers. Yellow inserts.
the rears are aparently newer bil shock since they are Yellow as well.
Im with Dave we need a part # laugh.gif
davep
Click to view attachment
Bilstein front strut
Click to view attachment
roll pin in bottom that secures the insert
Click to view attachment
collar on the top
Click to view attachment
VW symbol on the strut
Click to view attachment
rear shock
dyw914
What is the bolt spacing on those front struts - 3 inch for 914 calipers?
jonferns
On my '74 2.0, the entire front strut is green, and yellows in the rear
davep
QUOTE(dyw914 @ May 1 2008, 05:07 PM) *

What is the bolt spacing on those front struts - 3 inch for 914 calipers?

Yes, 3", these are 914/4 struts, and the 914/4 only had 3" bolt spacing.
Part # 914 341 091 43 dated 11/74. This set I got in trade for a 911 set, but there is the other set on the LE that is identical. The parts book says these go back to late MY 72 when the new front strut design came out.
dyw914
Wow, never seen that before. I knew there were Boge, Bilstein and Koni struts for 911's but I didn't know they had Bilstein struts for 914's. Those must be very rare? Do they still make replacement inserts for that? I don't think I've ever seen a replacement strut insert for a 914 specific Bilstein strut in any of the parts catalogs. Wonder if there was ever a Koni Strut for 914's?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Cars equipped with the optional bilstein suspension package had green front strut assemblies with a pinned insert that was not replaceable just rebuildable. The rear ones were green and only green, with an adjustable spring plate. Anything yellow is aftermarket. Sway bar cars could or could not have the optional bilstein package.
wbergtho
My struts on my bone stock 76 are Boge...right? They do not have green paint on the strut or the cover (they are black). They do not have a roll pin to press out like the Bilstein struts...so I am correct to assume they are standard Boge struts...correct? Here are two pics of mine. I just bought Bilstein inserts for Boge strut housings and the bottom of the Bilstein inserts are flat with no roll pin provision. I just want to be sure i bought the correct stuff.

Thanks,

Bill
914werke
Thats correct, and the same as the setup in mine, the only exception being the green covers.
Those are gas inserts I belive?
Dr. the optional Bil. front strut setup was oil or gas ? Im assuming Oil filled
if they are "rebuildable".
Were cars so equiped noted on the COA as optional equipment ?
Is there a Porsche option code?
wbergtho
Someone stated earlier in this thread that there indeed was a limited rare option of Bilstein equiped 914's. It was a special option and therefore became somewhat rare from what I understand. The Bilstein optioned cars came with a unique Bilstein strut "housing" and a Bilstein insert designed only to fit into this particular strut (with a roll pin). I have a similar set up on my 930 (or 911) Bilstein setup on my V-8 car. I've talked to Brad Mayeur about this and he says it is a fairly rare thing to see the original Bilstein set up on a 914...however, enough interest has arisen over the years that Bilstein created an insert to fit perfectly into the original (and popular) Boge strut housing. I have this set up.

Bill
Lavanaut
Doesn't sound like anyone's sure whether or not the Bil strut option would be listed on a COA. If not it would be nice stealth upgrade to non-Bil cars that someone would have a difficult time proving wasn't stock. happy11.gif

Dave, did you ever get that COA?
JeffBowlsby
The Bilsteins front and rear were factory optional equipment item M474. Looks like they were available in all years from the european price lists I have seen, but have never seen them listed on a COA. Not too surprising.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/OpEq.htm

Conflicting with the price lists, is this USA S&T manual data. It says they were only offered from 1973-on. Maybe they were always available in ROW cars, only available 73-on in the USA?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jul 1 2008, 01:22 AM) *

...the optional Bil. front strut setup was oil or gas ? Im assuming Oil filled
if they are "rebuildable".

AFAIK 'all' Bilstein dampers are gas dampers - it's their claim to fame.

Bilstein will rebuild and/or re-valve all their dampers.
Don't try this at home...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.