Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *Powdercoating Kicks A$$* - Revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Korijo
Took on the DIY powdercoating "Learning Experience". It is AWESOME !!

Fucked up the clear by putting too much royal blue metal flake in it mad.gif . Gonna Shit Can the metal flake idea...
Korijo
Before the clear...
Gint
That's cool Dave. More pics!
Korijo
the oven...
Korijo
Ratt
So how do you like the rig? Ive been looking at that set-up for awhile. Does it work ok for the price?
Andy
Korijo
linkage tid-bits...
415PB
Looks great. I have been using pretty much the same setup for about 7 months and have been powdercoating everything in site. How long did it take to bake using the propane. I have a couple of ovens and am thinking of going towards propane.
Korijo
Clear on (with flake), looking OK ohmy.gif

Dig Tristen's mohawk ?? laugh.gif
Korijo
Better shot of the clear. The dark parts are the "un-even" metal flake additive.
Korijo
So how do you like the rig? Ive been looking at that set-up for awhile. Does it work ok for the price?

I didn't use it (Damn disease mad.gif ), my FIL and Tristen did. They both wub.gif it. FIL is hooked smile.gif . Works great for $50 wink.gif .

How long did it take to bake using the propane.

Manifolds took 25 - 30 min. Little pieces, 8 min.
redshift
I like the color... metal flakes?!

beerchug.gif

M
Korijo
The light blue is my color base. Add some of the Royal blue metal flake to the clear, and presto - it sucked...

IPB Image
jonwatts
Can we get someone to Photoshop a flame on the tip of Tristan's Mowhawk? laugh.gif

Looks like fun and I'd love to do it someday but for the time being I'm going to send my stuff out to be coated. Costs more but takes less time, and now time is the main issue.
Bleyseng
How can that be Jon? You have been on that car project forever!

Geoff
jonwatts
Tell me about it! And forever will have no end if I don't start farming some stuff out. I'd love to do everything myself but I'd also love to show up at an event with a car. The credit card will be the one to suffer.
Bleyseng
As for the powdercoating, I just dropped it off at a shop and picked it up in a few days. I didn't have the time nor energy to DIY. Tranny rebuild yes, powdercoating no.
Looks like Korijo had alot of fun though!

Geoff
Korijo
Yes, it was fun..

Here are the finished (sort of) parts. The mani on the left was dropped sad.gif . The linkage pieces DONT have any clear, yet. But, it will be clear ONLY. You can see the inconsistency of the metallic flake additive.
Aaron Cox
sweet! smilie_pokal.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
How do you know the temp? What do you use to measure the part temps? How do you know when the parts are 'done'?
Korijo
How do you know the temp? What do you use to measure the part temps? How do you know when the parts are 'done'?

All I had was an oven dial thermometer, which crapped out immediately. You kinda just keep an eye on it. When its nearly done, it looks more like wet paint. Over cooking is harder to do with the propane heater, IMO.

Or you could buy a $500 laser digi therm <_< .
maf914
Way to go Dave! I think the DIY approach is pretty cool. I've been watching the various DIY powder coating threads. I might have to give it a try in the future.

Now I just need to find a metal filing cabinet! laugh.gif

Mike
Air_Cooled_Nut
Yeah, I've been eye-balling the Eastwood kit for a couple years but I thought I needed an oven. Seeing what y'all have produced -- and using a gas heater -- I'm even more tempted. I simply don't have any more room left in my garage sad.gif mad.gif
Korijo
AC Nut,

Your more than welcome to borrow my setup, to test it out. Find some powder and masking stuff.

I just couldnt leave the stuff down there. I dont go down there too often.

BTW, this is what we are gonna make for up here (not mobile).
415PB
Dave, looks like a good setup. If you have to strip the powder off your parts, I use Dekote from Eastwood. It works great. I then use a wire wheel to get off any excess powder and then back to cleaning the part.
Mueller
Dave,

$74

MSC Industrial Supply

part number is KN65155616, it reads to 600°F, for 9 bucks more, they have a unit that reads to 1000°F
Korijo
QUOTE(415PB @ Jan 20 2004, 04:33 PM)
Dave, looks like a good setup. If you have to strip the powder off your parts, I use Dekote from Eastwood. It works great. I then use a wire wheel to get off any excess powder and then back to cleaning the part.

I actually have some of that. Didnt do sh!t stripping paint off the car, tho. I'll try it again...

Mike- Thanks dude ! I'll just eyeball it for now... Trying to save up some dough wink.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
nevermind. link didn't work then it did...¿? I need one of those units!

Thanks Dave. I know I want one, just don't have any space for spraying or heating sad.gif Seriously, not enough space!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.