Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder Coat Color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonwatts
The car will be Adriatic blue. The underbody and engine bay are white. Interior will be black and gray with some accent pieces having color. I have a Tarret front swaybar with anodized red collars and droplinks.

So what color should I choose for powder coating the A-arms, front crossmember, uprights, rear trailing arms, etc??

This is not a restoration project (fiberglass flares, subaru engine) so just let me know what you think would look best.

Thanks!
SirAndy
YELLOW ...

the swedish flag (hey olav, are you listening?) ...

i think yellow would look cool on a blue car,
Andy
seanery
I agree with andy on this one (subtract 1 from red and add one to other).

YELLOW it is.
jonwatts
Hmm, I hadn't thought of yellow (obviously). I'll try to add it to the poll.
Dave_Darling
Orangey-brown. The parts will turn that color anyway, either from The Perpetual Enemy (rust), or from brake dust... wink.gif

Seriously, any bright color is going to look like ass after you've driven the car in the wet for 15 feet, or hit your brakes four times. How often do you wanna clean the undercarriage?

--DD
914ghost
CLEAR!!
Can they powdercoat them clear so you can see though them? clap56.gif
If not then whatever you like, its crazy, I'd do black because its fairly permanent.
Robert O
Qarl
IPB Image

I did the suspension pieces in semi-gloss black, and the struts and shocks in Bilstein yellow.
Doug Leggins
I just went throught his color selection. I changed my mind on color choice several times in a matter of a couple of weeks. Good luck to you on choosing a color!

I thought and thought and almost just went with black because the suspension will rarely be seen by anyone other than me. The bottom of my car will be black and I just couldn't put the time and money into powder coating without getting something more interesting than black on black.

I finally selected anthracite. It is darkish but should provide a good contrast to the black underbody. And I am hoping that it looks good on a signal orange car. Also hoping that road dirt and brake dust will blend in a little so that it doesn't always look dirty.

No pics yet...but the parts were taken to Indy Powder Coating last Monday. I should get them back in another week. When I do I'll post pics.

Here is a web site that I found that had an anthracite color plate. http://www.steelmancycles.com/frames.html
Gint
When I did the suspension on the brown car, I was originally going to powder coat clear over the bare bead blasted finish. That takes a lot of blast work though to get a consistent finish. I ended up with a metallic gray that I didn't really like after it was finished. The car sold 6 or 8 monnths later. My car will probably be something more like what Karl did. Semi-gloss black (chassis black) on the arms and such, with the strut housings and rear coils possibly yellow (orange?) or some other color.
J P Stein
I spend a lot of time under my car.....I'm even awake
part of the time. I'm a firm believer in light colors.
I abuse the car on a regular basis and light colors make it easier to check on "things".
Gint
How about some pics JP? I know you got 'em. I can't seem to decide on a light color that won't look too "rice".
J P Stein
Well....since yellow is faster....and I had a rattle can of engine enamel.....oil/fuel/solvent resistant.
J P Stein
This was painted bout 4-5 years ago....light gray.
Mueller
oh so pretty smile.gif

JP...I don't remember getting a phone call from you at 2AM needing help with the install of the rear bearings..what happened, get a bigger hammer?? LOL

I do like the yellow, now you got me thinking again.....damn.....
J P Stein
Hay, I've installed your parts before and was prepared. wacko.gif The rears were a hell of alot easier than the fronts. A couple shots smash.gif smash.gif with the 80 oz.
hammer & we were in biddness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.