Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dandh
I need a little help here from some of you pros out there. A shop out here where I live says its going to take at least 8 hrs. to duue a comp. brake job on my 73 2.0 thats hoses calip.rotors pads and ? Do I have him do it?
blitZ
I did mine myself in an afternoon, including replacing the bearings. Bleeding is the most time consuming part of the job. Have them show you in their estimate book, where it takes that long.
TonyAKAVW
I just did a complete brake job on a 914 and it took me a long time, probaly 2+ days. Here's what I did:

Installed BMW 320i calipers on the front
Installed new front bake lines
Installed new rotors all around, new bearings on the front
New Master cylinder installation
removed the rear calipers, installed new outer seals,
bled the whole thing, adjusted the parking brakes, etc.

It really depends on the condition of your stuff. If you have a 914 that is well cared for and in good condition (i.e. the calipers have been redone within the last 10 years) then 8 hours is reasonable or maybe slightly high. If the calipers need rebuilding, or there are more issues, then 8 hours is conservative. I don't blame a shop for quoting more hours on cars this old. Its hard to tell whats bad until you are in there.
Eric_Shea
Save the loot and do it yourself. If he's rebuilding the calipers that can take some time (especially if you want them done right).

Soft lines can be a bitch. New M/C is the other one that will strain some neck muscles.

If you have all the stuff in one place it should take you an afternoon.
dandh
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Apr 28 2008, 05:10 PM) *

I just did a complete brake job on a 914 and it took me a long time, probaly 2+ days. Here's what I did:

Installed BMW 320i calipers on the front
Installed new front bake lines
Installed new rotors all around, new bearings on the front
New Master cylinder installation
removed the rear calipers, installed new outer seals,
bled the whole thing, adjusted the parking brakes, etc.

It really depends on the condition of your stuff. If you have a 914 that is well cared for and in good condition (i.e. the calipers have been redone within the last 10 years) then 8 hours is reasonable or maybe slightly high. If the calipers need rebuilding, or there are more issues, then 8 hours is conservative. I don't blame a shop for quoting more hours on cars this old. Its hard to tell whats bad until you are in there.
Sorry I did'nt get back to you sooner, just wanted to thank you for everything.
914nerd
I say do it yourself
If you don't need anything rebuilt, it's pretty straight forward.
If you do need calipers rebuilt, get some, and then do it yourself biggrin.gif
On these cars, there really isn't much that you can't do yourself if you have some time and a willingness to get your hands dirty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.