Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NorCal WCR Caravan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Just starting to look at the route for our trek north...

I'm thinking:

Napa CA to Eugene OR on Thurs the 10th (8 hours)
Eugene OR to Issaquah WA on Fri the 11th (4 hours)

Issaquah WA to Medford OR Sun the 13th (7.5 hours)
Medford OR to Napa CA Mon the 14th (5 hours)
ConeDodger
Ummm... I think, ahhhh me!

I have a couple problems with the car to work out, but I think it can be done. It looks like I will not be going to the Philippines until December/January.

I want no oil leaks whatsoever before I would do this.

I want to have the stereo installed. 2270 music is amazing but four days of road time with only 2270 music would lower my IQ considerably.
DNHunt
Something to consider. Time your travel. Friday traffic can be awful. It is not unheard of for traffic to be very, very slow from just north of Olympia to Seattle and Friday afternoons in the summer is the worst. Portland can be slow too.

Dave
biosurfer1
Rob,

If you want any help with the stereo, I used to be an installer:)

...ah the wonderful high school days of 18 12" subwoofers and 1 tweeter!
Eric Taylor
If you guys end up staying in eugene the first night it would be great to grab dinner and check out the cars! I can't make it to the WCR, so it would be AWESOME to see your cool 914's!
roadster fan
I'm in. Holy !@#$% this event is coming up fast!

Jim
mstein95
QUOTE(Eric Taylor @ Apr 29 2008, 02:16 PM) *

If you guys end up staying in eugene the first night it would be great to grab dinner and check out the cars! I can't make it to the WCR, so it would be AWESOME to see your cool 914's!

agree.gif

I am attending the WCR so I will join the caravan at this point. Maybe BBQ at my place (gotta check with the wife first).
beerchug.gif jsharp.gif
PRS914-6
I am hoping to go and coordinate my visit so I can at least stop by at the event like last year. Perhaps I can do the drive up with you guys. Have numerous people to see while I am up there.....
Eric Taylor
QUOTE(mstein95 @ Apr 29 2008, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric Taylor @ Apr 29 2008, 02:16 PM) *

agree.gif

I am attending the WCR so I will join the caravan at this point. Maybe BBQ at my place (gotta check with the wife first).
beerchug.gif jsharp.gif

If the wife says no, I know we can do a grill at my house. That isn't the week of the olympic trials is it? I'm renting the house to people that week.
JRust
I am 40 minutes north of Eugene in Corvallis. I'd be happy to put up a few of you for the night. I'd also be happy to throw a BBQ. I'll be there wherever it is. I work in Eugene too so it's not out of the way. Depending on how many want to crash at my place may mean some floor time. I'm on 2 acres & have room for parking. Offer stands for the way back too if you don't get to Rowdy mad.gif
rhodyguy
mark, i don't think you guys are going to make it to issaquah in 4 hours on day 2. when you come north, take the 205 (like you drove to the hotel in 06') and avoid going thru p-land. you def don't want to be on 205 during rush hour either. you don't want to be on I-5 north of olympia after 3pm trying to get to the hotel. I-5 thru tacoma can be a bitch. don't go up the 5 to seattle and cross the I-90 bridge. easiest is just south of tacoma take hwy 512 to hwy 167 north to I-405 to I-90 east it's all freeway. trust me on this. get an early jump on the day from eugene, plan on getting to the hotel prior to 2pm, and you should be fine.

btw. my best time from tacoma to grants pass is just under 7 hours. that's with timing it for no commute traffic hassles and a bit of excess speed in certain stretches. issaquah is another hour or so from my house with good traffic.

a word of caution...we have a 'comparing speed' law in washington. get caught rolling even 10 over in a pack, dicing it up a bit, and it's possible to get written up. it's not a cheap ticket either.

k
porschecb
I have a 3/4 ton full size van, Not the best on gas, but seats 8 with with a lot of room for stuff! If there is intrest for those who are not driving there 914. Let me know! I may go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael
ConeDodger
Michael,

You should! Heck, bring the 914. You can use my trailer if you want. You would have a blast. Bring Wanda. Tie the kids up at home until you get back...
TravisNeff
I was able to do south carslbad to Issaquah in one day leave at 4am and get into town at 9:30. I was driving a little over the speed limit, except when I hit the washington border 55 the rest of the way.
porschecb
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 1 2008, 12:08 PM) *

Michael,

You should! Heck, bring the 914. You can use my trailer if you want. You would have a blast. Bring Wanda. Tie the kids up at home until you get back...

idea.gif
McMark
I have rope.. happy11.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 30 2008, 08:41 AM) *

mark, i don't think you guys are going to make it to issaquah in 4 hours on day 2. when you come north, take the 205 (like you drove to the hotel in 06') and avoid going thru p-land. you def don't want to be on 205 during rush hour either. you don't want to be on I-5 north of olympia after 3pm trying to get to the hotel. I-5 thru tacoma can be a bitch. don't go up the 5 to seattle and cross the I-90 bridge. easiest is just south of tacoma take hwy 512 to hwy 167 north to I-405 to I-90 east it's all freeway. trust me on this. get an early jump on the day from eugene, plan on getting to the hotel prior to 2pm, and you should be fine.

btw. my best time from tacoma to grants pass is just under 7 hours. that's with timing it for no commute traffic hassles and a bit of excess speed in certain stretches. issaquah is another hour or so from my house with good traffic.

a word of caution...we have a 'comparing speed' law in washington. get caught rolling even 10 over in a pack, dicing it up a bit, and it's possible to get written up. it's not a cheap ticket either.

k

agree.gif Leave Eugene at about 8AM and you should be okay through Stumptown, and you should be early enough that Seattle won't be bad yet. Count on 5 hours to Issaquah, though.

If, by some miracle, I have my car driveable by then, I'll plan on joining in as you pass by. Hell, even if my car isn't done, I'll plan on following with my wife's Mazda3.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(porschecb @ May 1 2008, 01:33 PM) *

Michael,

idea.gif

Or, instead of duct taping the kids for the whole weekend, you could take the kids and my little monster all in the van. Heck, Shirley too. Shirley will not want to ride in the 914 that long. My trailer tows really nicely. You hardly notice the 914 with 270HP in the 4Runner. Not sure what the van has...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 1 2008, 02:27 PM) *

I have rope.. happy11.gif

That is true... Mark has rope. Your call Michael. In fact even if we do bring the kids, Mark should bring the rope. You never know...
porschecb
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 1 2008, 02:23 PM) *

QUOTE(porschecb @ May 1 2008, 01:33 PM) *

Michael,

idea.gif

Or, instead of duct taping the kids for the whole weekend, you could take the kids and my little monster all in the van. Heck, Shirley too. Shirley will not want to ride in the 914 that long. My trailer tows really nicely. You hardly notice the 914 with 270HP in the 4Runner. Not sure what the van has...

318C.U. 245HP
porschecb
Now lets play the HOW MUCH FOR FUEL GAME! I get 15mpg (average Hwy) Thats with air off and only me in it. Lets add the air (July) Lets add some people and stuff and lets tow a car on trailer! 775 miles (one way) I have a 35 gallon tank and gas is around $380 a gallon NOW! Now lets fast forward to July. The person who can guess the total amount I will spend on gas wins a bowl of soup or a soap dish, your choice.

Michael

ps: Yes I know the answer.
McMark
Oooh, soap dish! drooley.gif
porschecb
QUOTE(McMark @ May 1 2008, 06:27 PM) *

Oooh, soap dish! drooley.gif

It could be yours!
McMark
If I won, I'd feel like I was stealing from you. It's just TOO NICE! av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 2 2008, 12:02 AM) *

If I won, I'd feel like I was stealing from you. It's just TOO NICE! av-943.gif

Plus it would add insult to injury Mark, that soap dish is the only thing the burglers didn't get. They dropped it on the lawn on the way out... poor guy... Don't take his soap dish...

Hey guys! BBQ at Michaels house to celebrate him getting to keep his soap dish! Wanda is cooking!!! biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
mark, if you guys can handle a little extra seat time on day 1, consider pushing on to salem to spend the night. break camp early (rolling @ 5amish) and you guys should have clean traffic clear to issaquah and catch the boat to kingston.

k
McMark
Thanks for the tip... thumb3d.gif
JRust
Did you guys decide on the BBQ? I'm all for heading over after work if it's in Eugene biggrin.gif . Also my offer for a place to crash is for real. I've got one extra bedroom with a single bed plus a futon. I also have 3 couches & tons of floor space. I do have 3 kids & an understanding wife. My inlaws also live with me(father in law has had a few strokes) but they have their own area upstairs & pretty much stay there. A little warning we do not drink or smoke! So just a heads up that would not be welcome in my home. Other than there is plenty of room for parking. Look forward to seeing you all soon & joining the caravan up aktion035.gif
Elliot Cannon
Whenever you get an agreement on when and where, I'd be happy to join up with you all somewhere along the way. We could all meet somewhere in No Cal. or Sacramento or Marks shop or...
mstein95
regarding the BBQ in Eugene -
Wife says [in her best sarcastic wife voice] "that would be swell" - so BBQ is on!!
We are completely flexible if plans change or venues change.

I also have access to local shop if there are any maintenance issues (knock on wood)
but maybe Jamie's House of 914's would be better (more 914 parts?)
JRust
Morgan you & I need to meet up sometime. I don't think we've met which is strange as I've run accross just about everybody else anywhere close by. Shoot me a line & I can come over to check out your ride. Mine runs great but is unfortunately on the stands for a suspension swap to 5-lug. Also a swap to a side shift. Should be done by the end of the month though. Knock on wood av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.