Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 912 Conversions to 6 Bangers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hawktel
So what is a 912 with a 6 banger in it worth?

I have a automotive dealer friend who wants to unload it. I don't know alot about the car, I'm going to look at it tommorrow and I'll post pictures. He's not even sure its a 912. He says thats what some customer told him. He doesn't even know if its got a 6 in it. He thinks it does. He's calling it a 68 911s. I don't think they made s versions that early did they?

Clearly, if I got look in the engine bay, and it has a 4 in it, I'll know its a 912. If it has a 6 in it, Whats the easiest way to tell the engine size? I know if its got old Solex's in it, chances are its a old 2.0, or 2.2 right? If it does have a 6 in it, what do I do to check the chassis for it being a 912?

This car is evidently having engine trouble. He says its dumping oil. Its a good looking ride though, I looked at a pict he had. It looks good. I just don't know what a conversion car would be worth.

So post your thoughts guys, all opionions welcome. drunk.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Hawktel @ Jan 19 2004, 12:21 PM)
He's calling it a 68 911s. I don't think they made s versions that early did they?

...Whats the easiest way to tell the engine size? I know if its got old Solex's in it, chances are its a old 2.0, or 2.2 right?

If it does have a 6 in it, what do I do to check the chassis for it being a 912?

911S started in 1967. '68 was the year of the 911L - i think there was no 'S' in '68, i've gotta get home to my references. the 'L' was basically an 'S' with a 'T' engine - smog issues kept the HiPo out. (remember, these are fuzzy recollections for the next couple hours...)

912 will not have a chassis number starting with '911...'. i don't know if it's '912...' but i think so. (Geez - i owned one, and i can't remember ...)

911 were all 2,0 until 1970 when they got a 2,2. v-e-r-y early cars ('65, maybe early '66) had Solexes, Porsche never got them to run right and switched to Webers, which they kept until (IIRC) '69 when 911's got Zeniths)

i have seen a very few 912's uprated to 6's but very few. most are actually current conversions, because a lot of vintage race organizations sanction only SWB 911's and lots of early 911s have been thrashed, and 912's weren't ... it's actually eaier to convert a 912 than a 914 ...

i'll revisit this thread tonight when i have my references at hand - you get more data ...
Hawktel
Thanks, Rich that would be awesome!

Honestly I expect to get there and see a 912 with a tired 4 banger of some type in it. I'll tell him what he's got, and see if he wants to work out a deal.

I'm not going to pay alot for a ride with a busted plant.

dance.gif
Dave_Darling
The 68 911S was a RoW model only--it did not meet the new emissions specs for that year. They went to MFI in 69, and were able to make the emissions specs. The 69-only 911L was the "S" body with the "normal" engine in it, making 130 HP as opposed to the 110 made by the 911T motor.

To tell what the engine is, you look for the engine type number. This lives to the right of the fan, just in front of the oil pressure sender (?? I think that's what it is in the pic). Check that against Anderson's book to see what year/size engine it is. Or ask someone who has a copy of Anderson's book to decode the number for you.

Weber conversions are not unpopular, so that's not a reliable cue as to what it is. MFI would have come on the 69-73 911E, the 69-73 911S, and the 72-73/1 911T. CIS started on the 73 1/2 911T, and was used on all of the US-spec 2.7 and 3.0 motors, 74-83. Zenith carbs would be a 70-71 911T (2.2L), and Solexes would be one of the very early cars or some PO's retrofit.

--DD
ArtechnikA
Dave's got it except for the 911L; it was a '68-only car, replaced by the 911E as the 'middle' model in 1969.

find out what you've got, and report back ...
Jeffs9146
I had a 67 911 2.0L with webers! The Chassis number started with 911.

Jeff
Joe Bob
There's a guy on the 911 skyrat board that just did a 912/6 conversion....took some pics. Appears to have been a 3.0 install with CIS.
Hawktel
Jeff that picture look almost exactally like the one he had of it. Same colors.

If I bought this car, and it has a 912 chassis, with busted 2.4 with MFI, whats it worth?

If I fixed it, what is a 912 with a 2.4 MFI worth? I never paid any attention when I should have I guess.
seanery
It would be a bastard at best. It would probably worth more to a racer than anyone else IMHO.
redshift
You can buy a pretty good looking early (dumb wheelbase) 911 with a busted 2.4 for next to nothing in California.

Prolly $90,000.00 where you are.... iT"Sa LaMbergini!!

laugh.gif

M
Jeffs9146
E-bay 911's

Here are a few that are currently on the market!

Jeff

PS: I sold mine for $9800 but I had over $14K into it!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Hawktel @ Jan 19 2004, 04:44 PM)
If I bought this car, and it has a 912 chassis, with busted 2.4 with MFI, whats it worth?

If I fixed it, what is a 912 with a 2.4 MFI worth? I never paid any attention when I should have I guess.

early 911/912 are every bit as prone to rusting as 914's. front pan, especially in the battery areas. rear torsion tube can be a killer.

even if it's "just like" a 911 it won't have the same intrinsic value a 911 does, just as most 914.4->6 conversions don't hold the same value even if the parts are comparable.

a 2,4 core engine might bring a few hundred bucks, depends what's broken and what's good. for a build up you can possibly re-use: the case. maybe. *IF* the MFI system is functional and intact it could be worth a couple hundred bucks to someone into MFI cars (like myself ...). but lots of those cars got parked because the injection pump and throttle bodies needed an expensive rebuild...

the SWB cars can be awesome autocrossers and coube be interesting vintage racers. good luck getting a vintage sanctioning body to accept a T-IV re-engined 911 tho. the '69's are generally much nicer cars, but in many ways they still have the quirks of an early car without the benefits of the later ones.

what would it be "worth" ? probably way less than you'd put into it - just like most of our project cars ...
redshift
I can't believe my remark about the short wheelbase didn't draw fanatic retaliation, heavy man..

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 19 2004, 08:38 PM)
I can't believe my remark about the short wheelbase didn't draw fanatic retaliation, heavy man..

donno if you've ever been involved in aircraft design, but engineers are -always- chasing weight and balance.

in the case of the 911 (literally ...) the engine turned out to be A LOT heavier than it had been estimated. the original wheelbase wasn't too bad at the design weight (for instance, early 912's just feel nimble) but it was a ) too short for the aft weight bias and b ) way more weight wound up behind the wheelbase than was good for it. extending the wheelbase by lengthening the semi-trailing arms moving the rear axles back 57mm brought more of the weight within the wheelbase. (this also increased the leverage on the torsion bars, which were increased from 22mm to 23mm with no change in effective spring rate.)
redshift
Yeah, LWB cars are better for driving. smile.gif

You are a waterfall of 911 stuff Rich. pray.gif

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 20 2004, 06:34 AM)
You are a waterfall of 911 stuff Rich.

i have the references, and i know where to look for what i'm looking for. it happens i've been doing a lot more research in this area since i've been driving and upgrading the 911E...
Hawktel
Okay Men and Ladies. I went to the local auto sales that is moving the 912.

Its a 912 with a 911 engine. Its a repaint, it use to be a orange, red. Its been tapped in the front and the back.

The engine has this number on it, in the exact place DD said to look for it. 901-1624543-12802368

Here is a picture of the subject:
Hawktel
Pict2
Hawktel
Pict 3
Hawktel
Here is the Engine Pict:
Hawktel
The Front Trunk
Hawktel
I HATE rust! This is just behind the front passenger wheel
Hawktel
The Front dash proclaims its not true heritage...
Hawktel
Okay here is the kicker. You got to hate people changing the truth...
I left this big so you can see what happened.
redshift
How much? I love the early asses.

M
Hawktel
Well thats all. She said its drivable, it just uses alot of oil. It need some work that not clear at first. I don't know enough about 912 to 6 engines to know if it has been done right. It has very little rust. Its Interior isn't half bad at all. There is a rip in one of the recardo's, Some of the rust points seemed to be begging for a coating of POR15.

They want 5 grand for it. Its got good points, but I don't think I want another project, unless that engine code means it some one of a kind prototype. I might go in and lowball them with a 2.5 offer.
I've been looking for a 911, but I need a targa, cause I'm big.

drunk.gif
Britain Smith
I really like it...from a 912 guy. I have been eyeing those rear license plate panels for a while...I think they look good. Have they done anything to the suspension? My 912 came with the smallest solid rotors known to man and no sway bars...although I have the mounts and holes for them. I guess the biggest expense you are looking at is getting the tired 911 motor to work for you. The bit with the VIN is a little stupid to say the least.

-Britain
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Hawktel @ Jan 20 2004, 04:30 PM)
The engine has this number on it, in the exact place DD said to look for it. 901-1624543-12802368

cool, now we need the engine -type- number; i thought i knew where that was located well enough to describe it to you, but all the references that i thought showed a diagram of its location have failed me ... bottom, near the bellhousing is what i'm remebering, but i'm not going to go try to find it on my engine right now :-) ...
Hawktel
Thats not the right number is it Rich? It was the only number I found on the block, that seemed visable from the Engine bay. Certainly it has alot of numbers on the Fan shroud, but I ignored them.

Britain, at 5 feet its still a sharp car. I don't know enough about 912 suspesions to know if its stock or not there.

I guess I could go test drive it, and see if it wants to swap ends in the snow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.