Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 with subaru EG33
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeHall
Well I have bought a nice solid 1975 914 which is complete and running but I want to do a Subaru conversion using the EG33. I also bought or im buying a 92 Subaru SVX which is complete and running great for a donor. I do however need to figure out which Subaru transmission would work best with this conversion. I also plan to put 911 front suspension and brakes on this car as well as 911 rear brakes. Any tips or info that might help me with this conversion would be great.

Mike
cobra94563
look down a bit..there is a looooong thread on a subaru tranny conversion. The search for the other stuff...just weed thru it.
KELTY360
Cool, I've been wondering when someone would do this. The EG33 never came with a manual tranny, so the ECU is programmed strictly for an automatic. I'm working on converting an SVX engine for my '87 Westy with a 4 sp and one of the difficulties is occasional stalling on deceleration to a stop, due to faulty signals at the ECU. Apparently, one fix is an auxillary chip. Don't know for sure as I haven't gotten that far. I know that some SVX owners are converting to 5 sp trannies. You should be able to find out more at this site: Subie SVX site

There is a lot of information on conversions at the Vanagon/SVX site. I would guess that many of the conversion parts that have been developed for the Vanagon may be useful for the 914 also.

The raw specs and engineering on this engine is very impressive. Good luck, I'll be watching your progress.

Click to view attachment
MikeHall
Thanks for those links. Looks like the MT5 can be used with only a few little jumper wires to remove the ignition timing changes for the auto trans. Im going to pick up the SVX tomorrow and I should have the 914 here in a week or so. Im excited about this little project and cant way to do some custom fab work for the install.

On another note. Where can I find some steel 914 fender flares or flared fenders? I love the way these look which im sure can only be had in fiberglass though.

Mike
914helo
I'm putting an EG33 into my 914 as we speak. I'm relatively close to being done. Of course, it's only taken me 4.5 years to get here. Here's an older pic (lost a bunch when the computer crapped out last year). I think I'm going to send the wiring harness off and have it done. Everything else I've done myself. I used a Kennedy adapter and my 901 tranny. As long as I don't do burnouts it should be good to go.
I think it's a perfect engine: 230hp, 225 ftlbs of tq, normally aspirated, and great longevity. It is rather large, and there's not a lot of aftermarket for it though. Good luck and keep us updated.
IPB Image
MikeHall
Thanks for the inspiring picture. I bet this little car is going to hual tail with this engine and a good shifting subaru 5sp.

Mike
MikeHall
My 914 will be here Tuesday and Im going to get my SVX donor tomorrow. I also have a 5sp WRX transmission on the way.

Mike
MikeHall
I found a place to get a complete 911SC kit that will include front suspension, brakes, Master cylinder and rear hubs for $1000. Does this sounds like a good deal?

Mike
MikeHall
I got the SVX home. Im impress with how much low end thes car has. While loading it on the trailer it just took a tap on the throttle and it jump up on it. LOL My WRX transmission and parts will be here tomorrow so I hope to have the engine and trans mated by the end of the weekend.

Mike
KELTY360
You had to know this was coming.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

poke.gif
MikeHall
About all I can show right now is the donor SVX. I just took it around the block and gave it hell. This car will move for as heavy as it is so I know my 914 will Haul tail.

Mike
KELTY360
Hmmmm, your donor is prettier than mine.

Click to view attachment

thumb3d.gif
MikeHall
LOL, I bet you paid less for yours.

Mike
rktmn247
The EG33 looks like a great little engine. So glad you guys are doing this swap. I will be watching this thread. Here is a link with two vids of an EG33 powered 911. I really like the way it sounds! driving.gif

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=kcpamp
MikeHall
Those videos are what made me go with the EG33. It would have been much easier to pick up a twin turb setup complete with everything for $1200 but the sound of that H6 has me hooked.

Mike
MikeHall
I got the Engine mounted on a engine stand with a custom bracket I welded up. I also got my WRX transmission in today. My 914 will arived late tonight or tomorrow morning. w00t.gif

Mike
MikeHall
Here is the custom bracket I made to mount the engine on the stand.

Mike
MikeHall
Here is my WRX transmission or at least it was sold to me as a WRX transmission. Can anyone see anything that would tell them this is not a WRX tarnsmisson? LOL

Mike
3d914
Hey Mike,

Looks like all the pieces are coming together. If you get a chance, how about a pic of the underside of the motor.

Are the EG33's dry sump or wet? Just curious how deep the oil pan is - if it has one.

ENjoy!
3d914
Mike,

I forgot to mention that this is one of the engine choices for my conversion. Kent was able to get me some dimensions, so here is my test fit image for the 914's engine bay. This fits the best so far of any of my engine choices. I show the motor/trans moved down & forward one inch.

Click to view attachment

This could be a winner. idea.gif
MikeHall
I can get a picture tomorrow. This is not a dry sump motor and the pan sticks down a good bit. Most have made a custom shallow pan being it sticks down so low.

I have to fix some rust on my car before I can start on the conversion. I plan to go ahead and order a LSD for my transmission an I may install WRX pistons and rod in my engine and add a turbo for a little added BOOST. LOL

Mike
MikeHall
I forgot to ask but does anyone know what pilot bearing I need to get for using a WRX transmission? I think maybe the WRX bearing would work but I figured I would ask.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.